The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Canucks screwing Vitanens Development

orcasgonewild

Just now, Frail Granny said:

He trained rigorously with the Canucks training staff this last off season. If he's a pudgy blob, then they should take a lot of the blame.

Crap, I didn't know he trained with Canuck's staff.  Weren't they weighing him, and testing his fitness level?  

7 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

Baertschi and Granlund: Developed by Calgary, and have only shown flashes of promise due to being gifted roster spots, because of one way contracts.

Sbisa: Not a prospect at this point, and was developed by Philly and Anaheim. He's arguably regressed since joining the Canucks.

Tryamkin: Would be back in Russia, if not for injuries and his one way contract. Willie D was asked this question, and didn't deny it.

Stecher: College FA who was already playing at high level day 1. The Canucks had nothing to do with his development.

Hutton: Not a top prospect, and has been mediocre at best this year. 

Horvat: Not being put out in the last minute against Boston says it all really. He doesn't need a muzzle.

I don't think you know what development is.  It never ends.

At this point in his development, they're not so concerned with his offense. Linden even said this the other day. They want him to focus on all aspects of his game, practice time, habits, his professionalism, conditioning, and maturity.

He needs to learn what it takes to be a pro. That's what it's about. They already know he's got the talent. He's not being screwed at all. This is an opportunity for him to grow.

3 hours ago, Frail Granny said:

Whether Jake has some fault in his current development or not, I do believe any other team in the league would have gotten more out of him by now. The Canucks have to be one of the worst teams in cultivating top prospects. And if you counter me with Horvat, I'd argue he'd have his 100th point 30 games ago, anywhere else.

Ok Kreskin!

15 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

Getting the most out of your prospects.

I won't keep arguing with blind fanboys though.

I'm a realist, and when you analyze this team realistically, it's hard to not sound pessimistic.

Name calling?   Grow up.  

If you were a realist, you would know that a rebuild takes more than 2 years and that developing is a life long thing.  Younger players show bigger improvement but don't try to tell me that Sbisa isn't better now than when he got here.  That's what developing is.

When I gave you the list of players that have developed under Wille, I gave it to you by way of an explanation for the minus vote I gave you.  

You're dead wrong about players not developing well here.

Lots of people miss the one rumour though, whether or not it's true that he likes to party. But think about this; what would you do if you were a 19/20yo hockey playing celebrity in your own town. Now you add that in with just recently coming into money(around 32,000 bi-weekly before deductions)  and think about having all your friends nearby and going out... you'd have all the attention. It could go to a players head pretty quickly and wouldn't take long to creep into the on-ice performances. 

I for one think it's the right move for jake to be in Utica until he can learn to be a pro both on and off the ice. As well as gain some maturity. 

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

While I agree that Virtanens game by the numbers is sound defensively.

Forcing him to play with basic AHL plugs forces him to actually have to work hard every.  Single.  Shift.

It is forcing him to think, to act not just react and is FAR from screwing his development.

He's right where he deserves to be, where he belongs and where he can either succeed or flame out.

It's up to him, he's not getting screwed by any means but he may eventually screw himself if he cannot put it together.  Which is why Benning and Linden appear to be playing to proverbial long game with him letting him sit for 2-3 seasons in the AHL ala Gaunce

Yeah, if he can't put up numbers against AHLrs - regardless of line mates - then the NHL is definitely not where he belongs right now

Archived