The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) completing the retool

manroth19

Now I will admit jb has done a pretty decent of filling the cupboard with prospects even with the later round pics. But we can all admit this team is not gonna compete for a cup and the next crop doesn't have enough high end prospects imo to compete for one later down the road

Tanev to Toronto - 1st & kapanen

Hansen to NYR - 1st 

Burrows to Mtr - 3rd

Miller to Bos - 4th + cap dump that expires this year (don't really think a backup gets any more)

We'd have 4 picks in the top 35 plus cbj 2nd (I think we get it this year) that's 5 picks top 2 rounds 4 pretty high, 1 of which would be one of the top centres or the top d from Sweden. 

Our prospect pool would be stacked oj, boeser, virtanen, demko, gaudette, kapanen, briesbois, 4 high picks this year to go along with Horvat. We'd be ready to compete in a few years and compete with the best. 

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree with you that our next core isn't looking better than just average at best, so we need to add elite skill to it for sure.  Tanev to TO makes sense, but I'd rather have their first and both their seconds, and not take Kapenen

Why do these boards seem so low on Kapanen?

I'd way rather him and his AHL 33pts in 33games than 2 2nd round gambles in a shallow draft year.

23 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

Now I will admit jb has done a pretty decent of filling the cupboard with prospects even with the later round pics. But we can all admit this team is not gonna compete for a cup and the next crop doesn't have enough high end prospects imo to compete for one later down the road

Tanev to Toronto - 1st & kapanen

Hansen to NYR - 1st 

Burrows to Mtr - 3rd

Miller to Bos - 4th + cap dump that expires this year (don't really think a backup gets any more)

We'd have 4 picks in the top 35 plus cbj 2nd (I think we get it this year) that's 5 picks top 2 rounds 4 pretty high, 1 of which would be one of the top centres or the top d from Sweden. 

Our prospect pool would be stacked oj, boeser, virtanen, demko, gaudette, kapanen, briesbois, 4 high picks this year to go along with Horvat. We'd be ready to compete in a few years and compete with the best. 

-Tanev for a 1st +kapanen is not happening, maybe a 3rd + kapanen but think Toronto would be more interested in Shattenkirk from STL

-Hansen to NYR for a 1st is far overvaluing Hansen although you may snag a 2nd if lucky. 

-Burrows value is on but dont see any interest from Montreal

-Miller's value is on but he doesnt waive for Boston

Just now, Misconduct16 said:

Why do these boards seem so low on Kapanen?

I'd way rather him and his AHL 33pts in 33games than 2 2nd round gambles in a shallow draft year.

JB is awesome at the draft, especially in those later picks.  I'd rather have JB with the picks than another Granlund/Baer type player.

benning says it is hard to make trades, linden says you need other gm's that are willing to trade for players. we want players and picks we want for players we want to move. 

there is so much that goes into a suitable trade. a lot more than our opinions can solve.

16 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

benning says it is hard to make trades, linden says you need other gm's that are willing to trade for players. we want players and picks we want for players we want to move. 

there is so much that goes into a suitable trade. a lot more than our opinions can solve.

Yet other gms are capable of doing time and time again. I stopped believe the "spin" bs coming from the phoney managment group along time ago.

good gms get the job done bad gms (benning)whine and make up excuses over and over. 

5 hours ago, smithers joe said:

You're absolutely right.  Just like to add, Tomlinson's point, you're not moving salary without salary coming back.  Common sense, often overlooked

7 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

-Tanev for a 1st +kapanen is not happening, maybe a 3rd + kapanen but think Toronto would be more interested in Shattenkirk from STL

-Hansen to NYR for a 1st is far overvaluing Hansen although you may snag a 2nd if lucky. 

-Burrows value is on but dont see any interest from Montreal

-Miller's value is on but he doesnt waive for Boston

You do make some good points but the Toronto deal for sure make sense. Shatty is a rental where as Tanev has term with a good cap hit. Fan bases like ours where we are not contending 1st round pics are gold when in reality if a 1st round pics get tossed around like hotcakes. A cap strung team like NYR Hansen and his 2.5 cap hit is gold. 

13 hours ago, combover said:

Yet other gms are capable of doing time and time again. I stopped believe the "spin" bs coming from the phoney managment group along time ago.

good gms get the job done bad gms (benning)whine and make up excuses over and over. 

we are talking good trades for both clubs. sure we could trade hansen for a 5th round pick that never makes it to the nhl. is that a good trade. they are talking about getting equal value for a hansen that another gm, can make work too. salary cap and moving forward. we are great at making trades. we win everyone of our trades. we send  the players we want to send and get back players we want. gm's would want players like horvat. 

plus, if a team like buffalo or carolina want to trade for hansen, but hansen dooesn't want to wave to go there, the trade doesn't get done. people are so quick to put down a gm because he doesn't make the trade he wants.  benning should let these people sit in the war room when he tries to make trades so he understands the complex nature of dealing and not getting burnt. benning is looking at players other teams might lose in the expansion draft and finding a fit. 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Value is about right. I dont see Montreal having much interest in Burrows though

Hearing Burr to Rangers for a second.  I think, if JB finally does his friggin job at a TDL, we get a second for Burr, a first for Hansen, and a first and a second for Tanev.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hearing Burr to Rangers for a second.  I think, if JB finally does his friggin job at a TDL, we get a second for Burr, a first for Hansen, and a first and a second for Tanev.  

Source?

The only thing I see is Larry Brooks SUGGESTING Burrows could be a low cost acquisition.  No where does it say that's an actual rumour. And a 2nd is never mentioned. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Source?

The only thing I see is Larry Brooks SUGGESTING Burrows could be a low cost acquisition.  No where does it say that's an actual rumour. And a 2nd is never mentioned. 

Brooks mentions a third will not be enough to get it done.

Archived