The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Since Benning took over - a breakdown

Nathancanuck

3 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

This whole post is pot calling the kettle black.  What did you even say? 

I do I have posted TSNs excellent article about pick probabilities maybe 3 times already on this forum.  I can post it again if you would like?  

Accumilating late round picks to increase your chance of getting Bure is a really funny strategy.  You are saying by adding a .05% at a time is a winning formula.  Or what a good GM should do.  Look people win the lottery every day, so it is definitely something that happens.  I have yet to see the buying more lottery tickets as a good life strategy work.  But good luck!

You kind of are a lot like the trumpster.  You duck the arguements you know you can't win.  You stick to the emotional arguments that you know you have a base of support for.  You are overly negative as he is about America/Canucks knowing that it plays to a certain demographic.  You got a game plan and you are executing it.  I dont fault you for that.  Everyone has a style.

You just should aggregate everyone together.  Just because I like what Benning had done doesn't mean that I think we are on the path to the Stanley cup or even the playoffs.  I just think it's better than the alternative.  You seem to very nievely think that there is some magical pill to a cup contending team by loosing and trading for 5th round picks.  I do admire the passion you have behind this opinion.  But it doesn't make it right.

I knew you were a Libral. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Trading away 2nd rounders certainly does reduce a club chances of drafting a future top 6 forward or 1-4 D man.

If you think otherwise , you are just an apologist for management. 

Sure it reduces your chances but Baertschi is already a 2nd line player statistically speaking and so is Granlund.  It takes a lot of 2nd round picks on average to get just one.  So what's your point?  Those are good deals and good uses of picks.

2 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

You do know an average goaltender is .915% save percentage.  Our team save percentage is below that, so I am not sure what you mean about this amazing goaltending.

in fact we are at 17th in the league at .909.

so about that proof and facts and stuff????

That is something someone who doesn't watch the games would say. 

Interesting 

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Sure it reduces your chances but Baertschi is already a 2nd line player statistically speaking and so is Granlund.  It takes a lot of 2nd round picks on average to get just one.  So what's your point?  Those are good deals and good uses of picks.

Sven and Granny are tweeners at this point.  Weak 2nd liners and maybe more 3rd liners..

We need elite 2nd liners like Kesler was / is   if we want to return to the cup.....

57 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

That is something someone who doesn't watch the games would say. 

Interesting 

So Benning is an idiot because he realies on the eye test instead of analytics.  But now he is right because it conforms to your argument.

look I do think on the eye test Miller has been above average.  But get real if you think he is the only reason this team isn't 30th.  We have 7 players in double digit scoring and another one close in Burrows.  We have a solid defense.  We just miss the one thing we both agree on.  Genuine top end top 15 talent.

2 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

You do know an average goaltender is .915% save percentage.  Our team save percentage is below that, so I am not sure what you mean about this amazing goaltending.

in fact we are at 17th in the league at .909.

so about that proof and facts and stuff????

According to him the goalie isn't really part of the team...:wacko:

The Devils won cups being out shot on a nightly basis.   Hello Brodeur...

So Benning is an idiot because he realies on the eye test instead of analytics.  But now he is right because it conforms to your argument.

look I do think on the eye test Miller has been above average.  But get real if you think he isn't the only reason this team isn't 30th.  We have 7 players in double digit scoring and another one close in Burrows.  We have a solid defense.  We just miss the one thing we both agree on.  Genuine top end top 15 talent.

Canucks are  27th out of 30 teams for goals scored.....

Canucks have a major lack of offensive talent.  We are missing a top line and a 2nd line.  Basically a top 6.   Major holes to fill. 

look I do think on the eye test Miller has been above average.  But get real if you think he isn't the only reason this team isn't 30th.  We have 7 players in double digit scoring and another one close in Burrows.  We have a solid defense.  We just miss the one thing we both agree on.  Genuine top end top 15 talent.

We need a mobile/offensively creating defence more than anything. Our power play makes that pretty obvious. 

Save % is 50% team 50% goalie. Put Ryan Miller on the Blackhawks and Cory Crawford on our team. My point would be pretty clear. 

24 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

You are not being logically consistent.  This is again my problem with your thought process.  If you are accumulating picks then you are trading roster players that other teams find valuable.  Nobody is giving you picks for Biega.  So isn't that the definition of tanking?

The media communication is almost too funny.  Come on man.  You being as contrarian as you are have to be smarter than that.  I have never met a dumb one yet.  What does media communication have to do with anything at all?  I am sure you will be shocked to know that people lie all the time or say things they don't mean.  

I dont think Vrbata was worth a bag of pucks to anyone last year based off his floating.  Who wants to add a grump old man to a playoff team.  Hamhuis was different, but he really didn't want to leave.  What's Jim to do with all the NTC?   

I think it's a combinations of both not getting picks and giving up picks.    We gave up picks in the Prust, Etem, Vey, Larsen, Pedan, Baertschi, Dorsett all cost this team picks and really Baertschi and Gudbranson (who I'm a big fan of) are the only players that's really turned out.  And now looking back those players skill sets could have been filled through small UFA signings.  Yes, they we're risks and so are draft picks, but looking at JB's record since he's been he's and he's been almost perfect.  in the 5th round alone he's found Gaudette, Neill, Forsling,  His first 5 picks as a Canuck GM have all dressed in a NHL game.  That's pretty impressive.

We've had a number of pieces that we watched walk away. Vbrata and Hammer deals should have been worked on since the the first game of the season last year.  Hammer still believed he was going to get resigned up until a few weeks before july 1st. Even when we walked away to low ball offer on hamhuis was a miss.  Yes Hamhuis was worth more than a 3rd round pick, but again we knew Hamhuis was going to be gone in less than 2 months and a 3rd round pick is better than nothing.  I don't know about you but I would be happy with another Lockwood, Brisebois or Tryamkin in our system.  But when NTC's are involved deals like that need more then 2 weeks to usually come together and our lack of pre planning took away all the value we had.  This year it (from what we have access to know) it appears to be the same situation, wait until right before the trade line and then hope we can scramble something together.

I like Benning and thinks he's doing a great job, but that doesn't mean i agree with all his moves.  I happen to agree with Labamba here.  Sometimes it appears the overall goal flips and the directions get change.  It's like we have two goals (development & winning) and sometimes it appears one goal is the most important and then a month later the other goal takes over.  Often times focussing on winning goal, hurts the development goal.  Our coaching staff has admitted this

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver/willie-desjardins-its-tough-having-development-and-winning-as-two-goals

But even after all that, these are just small misses and they aren't going destroy the franchise if anything they are small setbacks, it's not like we've traded away Gretzky, In the overall scheme of things JB had been building a solid future team with a strong identity and it makes easy to be excited for the future of this team.

1 hour ago, orcasgonewild said:

If he stays in the ahl till he's 22,  focussing on offense he'll turn out. Power forwards take longer to develop. Usually 22-24 is where they find their game. He'll be a 50-60pt player and in today's nhl that's first line production. 

Don't judge Virtanen on his play so far, in ahl he plays with plugs and in the nhl he played 6-10 minutes so just relax

k this might not be fair but how come tkachuk was so fast nhl ready :o

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm not convinced that next season is a write off....If the stars are right (Boeser,Juolevi....plus a more experienced Horvat,Stecher,Try,Hutton) I think the wheel might start turning in the other direction.

Next year will be worse bcuz only Boeser will be new, we'll lose Hansen and Burrows and Miller if benning does his job right. Juolevi should spend another year in ohl to up his point production. 

19 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

k this might not be fair but how come tkachuk was so fast nhl ready :o

He played with talent in the ohl so he just had to time his game a little. While Jake was the best on his team so he drove plays, but in the nhl players are better so it's hard to do so. Plus tkachuk started on the second line. Virtanen always played bottom lines and barely got time. Two different animals.

Plus Tkachuk is a passer and virtanen is a shooter. Its easier to transition when ur setting up others.  Especially when ur used to playing with good talent.

Virtanen is a shooter and played with 4th liners. Not much help

34 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sven and Granny are tweeners at this point.  Weak 2nd liners and maybe more 3rd liners..

We need elite 2nd liners like Kesler was / is   if we want to return to the cup.....

Kesler is first line talent.  So you want 6 first line players.  Good luck.  Granlund and Sven are 2nd liners point per game wise in the NHL.  They are top 60 players at their positions.

Just now, CaptainLinden16 said:

Kesler is first line talent.  So you want 6 first line players.  Good luck.  Granlund and Sven are 2nd liners point per game wise in the NHL.  They are top 60 players at their positions.

No they are not.  Sven is barely.... with no grit and mediocre defensive skils .  Granny is not even close to a legit 2nd liner  - he is more like a 3rd liner. 

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Points per 60 mins.    

Sven is 120th

Granny is 265 th

You are trying to say SVEN and Granny are  second line player.  Facts say otherwise.......  

They are 2nd line on Canucks but would not play 2nd line on many / any other teams....

Archived