The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I say shl but I'd like to see him with Utica.

I think both are excellent options. On one hand, the SHL is a highly skilled mens league where he could get a chance to play with and develop further chemistry with his potential future center in Pettersson. On the other hand, he could start to learn the Canucks system in the AHL, acclimatize to the smaller ice and develop chemistry with the other Canuck prospects. I'd be happy either way. 

8 hours ago, ColeTr11 said:

I think Dahlen is much closer to playing in the NHL then we may think. One of the Canucks writers said that the Allsvenskan is pretty comparable to the AHL, roughly .94 ppg carry over rate. So Dahlen, having scored at a rate of .97 ppg would put up points at a rate of .9118, or 69 points in a full 76 game seaaon. Which would put him a full 22 points ahead of Uticas best point producer last year. Maybe ive missed something but he would far and away be Uticas best player, and if he has a good summer could be fringe NHL ready. 

I understand the carry-over statisic however I don't think it's as simple as that. That was Dahlens second full season in that league on the same team(his 3rd experience with them if you consider he played games with Timra as a 16yo).   He was obviously comfortable with the coaches/systems/teammates/travel/lifestyle/ect... Furthermore,  Timra - whilst not an elite team in their league - was much better in their league than Utica was in the AHL.   

Not saying Dahlen,  or any other European prospect,  can't be successful in NA,  just that there are many more factors to consider than just carry-over points statistics. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Back on topic, where's Dahlin's year most likely to be spent, because I am assuming he gets one more year of development.

I think it will depend on how close he is at camp. Assuming he's one of the last cuts and appears very close, I could see him going to Utica to adjust to the  N.A. game and have the opportunity to play for first call up with inevitable injuries and trades. He'll likely be playing (and hence competing) with Goldobin in that role IMO.

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I think it will depend on how close he is at camp. Assuming he's one of the last cuts and appears very close, I could see him going to Utica to adjust to the  N.A. game and have the opportunity to play for first call up with inevitable injuries and trades. He'll likely be playing (and hence competing) with Goldobin in that role IMO.

Ahh yes if he is assured of being a first call up to get a shot by Xmas maybe..does he have the 10 game thing?or is he too old for that.

(Ahh 10th game he stays up?)

Edited by Hairy Kneel

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Ahh yes if he is assured of being a first call up to get a shot by Xmas maybe..does he have the 10 game thing?or is he too old for that.

9 and that only applies to junior players.

8 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

The 10th game activates the ELC right? I'm not very clear on this rule, are ELC's automatically activated for players overseas?

Dahlen will already be on a pro contract if he plays here or the AHL. Games played doesn't matter. If he goes to the SHL, I believe his contract slides (though someone ccan correct me if I'm wrong there).

the 9 game/ELC rule only applies for players who otherwise would be going back to junior hockey.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

If he gets the chance to play with Pettersson in the SHL then I say let him ply his trade overseas develop that chemistry

Agreed. I think the SHL is generally thought to be a higher level league than the AHL, and developing chemistry with Pettersson certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Dahlen will already be on a pro contract if he plays here or the AHL. Games played doesn't matter. If he goes to the SHL, I believe his contract slides (though someone ccan correct me if I'm wrong there).

the 9 game/ELC rule only applies for players who otherwise would be going back to junior hockey.

Gotcha. Thanks, I always have trouble with the finer points of these rules.

On 6/29/2017 at 11:26 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

and that's if hank retires.  All indications it sounds like they will be back for a couple more years

...where do you get this from?  Source?  

Not saying you are wrong - we all knew it was a possibility... I just hadn't heard much of an indication either way.

43 minutes ago, kloubek said:

...where do you get this from?  Source?  

Not saying you are wrong - we all knew it was a possibility... I just hadn't heard much of an indication either way.

Yeah, not sure the twins have spoken publicly to how much longer they want to play. All they seem to have said is that they won't play anywhere else (NHL or overseas) and intend to retire Canucks. And that their future with the Canucks (after the current contracts expire) will be a year-to-year discussion between themselves and management.

I also recall Linden saying something to the effect that management intends to offer the twins contracts for as long as they want to play here. And that it would be a year-to-year decision going forward.

You can pretty much get the gist of all this from the quotes in articles like the following:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nucksmisconduct.com/platform/amp/2015/7/19/9001339/sedins-not-necessarily-going-home-after-contracts-expire

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sedins-say-dont-want-play-anywhere-vancouver/sn-amp/

https://www.google.ca/amp/theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jeff-paterson-end-of-an-era-weighs-heavily-on-the-sedins/amp

“If they see a future for us, then we might have another year in us here after next year,” Henrik told Craig Morgan of FanRag Sports. “If not, I don’t think we’re prepared to go anywhere else…Our future is not only up to us now. We know that the management needs to see a place for us in this rebuild. It’s not always in their interest to have guys like us around. Maybe you need a change of personality and all those kinds of things.”

“We’ve never really been in this position before, but we’re up there now, age-wise,” Daniel said. “For us, it’s all about if the team is going in the right direction and if you see there’s a place for us on the team. If we’re healthy and if management wants us to be a part of the future, we can see ourselves playing more years but for us, it’s Vancouver or nothing. We’re not going to go anywhere else to play.”

From the sound of things, the twins are leaning toward re-signing and playing another season after their contract expire. And then reassessing things after that year (and continuing to do so year-to-year until they decide it's time to retire).

So I'd expect at least another year (after their current deals run out). Maybe more.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Per Capfriendly the only player under contract right now that can have his ELC slide is Juolevi if he goes back to juniors.  I don't believe it can slide if he is playing in a professional league in Europe.  

27 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Per Capfriendly the only player under contract right now that can have his ELC slide is Juolevi if he goes back to juniors.  I don't believe it can slide if he is playing in a professional league in Europe.  

Contracts can slide if an eligible player goes to Europe (or any professional league that isn't the NHL).

However, in Dahlén's case, he's ineligible because even though he signed his deal at age 19, his "ELC signing age" is technically considered to be 20 (as he turns 20 between September 16th and Decemeber 31st of his ELC signing year).

What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#els[/quote]

But Juolevi's contract should slide if he plays for, let's say, a Liiga team in Finland.

Here's an example:

Rajala is currently playing with Ilves Tampere of the SM-Liga which means his cap hit will decrease again. Why? Because Rajala was already paid his 10% $87,500 signing bonus at the start of 2009 and thus that money no longer counts against the team cap. He will also receive a 10% signing bonus this season. That’s what we call an entry-level slide.

http://thehockeywriters.com/8-ways-to-legally-circumvent-the-nhl-salary-cap/

Another example would be William Nylander, whose contact slid in 2014-15, a year he split between Modo (SHL) and the Marlies (AHL), both of which are professional leagues.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/william-nylander

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Can't fix the quote tags for some reason :(
  • Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Contracts can slide if an eligible player goes to Europe (or any professional league that isn't the NHL).

However, in Dahlén's case, he's ineligible because even though he signed his deal at age 19, his "ELC signing age" is technically considered to be 20 (as he turns 20 between September 16th and Decemeber 31st of his ELC signing year).

Interesting. So the Canucks burn a year of his contract regardless of where he plays this year...

To me, that translates to him playing in the AHL this season if the club has any say in the matter.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You can pretty much get the gist of all this from the quotes in articles like the following:

Not sure how I missed those articles, but it sounds promising.

If any players are willing to take greatly reduced salaries in order for their team to find success, it is the Sedins.  Let's face it - they clearly have more money than they know what to do with at this point.  They are obviously nowhere close to their former selves, but are still good hockey players.  I'd be thrilled to have them return on a year-to-year basis.  If we can retain them while players like Dahlen and Pettersson develop and enter the league, and the Boesers, Granlunds, Baertschis and Horvats continue to improve, it will be excellent for all.

There was a time we had the WCE line AND the Sedins.  You'd think that's almost a given Stanley Cup, but the twins developed slowly.  Now there is a new opportunity to have a different high scoring line(s) and the Sedins once again.