The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

1 hour ago, hyper00 said:

Because it spreads and stupid kids like me (I feel mature for 22 but I have moments...) Don't ask these things and before you know it, you lose weight, motivation/energy, and even laying down is painful. I couldn't play EASHL which is a video game, I couldn't imagine trying to play professional hockey. 

I knew something was very wrong with me when I had it, the version you had must not have had the same early symptoms as mine.

Drinking water felt like lava so that's what got me in for a throat swab at the clinic. Comes back mono and I'm baffled, but it's just a virus. My fever then had me hallucinating like a fantastic LSD trip (enjoyment neutralized by the fever), and getting up to go for a fresh glass of lava made my blood turn into quickset concrete. When you need to stop for a rest from walking down your hallway in your home, yeah, hockey of any level would not be happening.

6 weeks recovery. After the first 10 days I just started watching movies. 

What prevented you from visiting a clinic early on for diagnosis?

9 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

What's up with all the mono going around?

....I knew a total of 2 people who had in high school back in my day....way....way ...back....sounds like it's a common cold now....

When I had it, I had a temperature of 40 C and I thought I would go out of my mind with the constant headache. It struck when I was up in the mountains and it took me 2 days to get to a doctor.

6 hours ago, Green Building said:

I knew something was very wrong with me when I had it, the version you had must not have had the same early symptoms as mine.

Drinking water felt like lava so that's what got me in for a throat swab at the clinic. Comes back mono and I'm baffled, but it's just a virus. My fever then had me hallucinating like a fantastic LSD trip (enjoyment neutralized by the fever), and getting up to go for a fresh glass of lava made my blood turn into quickset concrete. When you need to stop for a rest from walking down your hallway in your home, yeah, hockey of any level would not be happening.

I ended up with wisdom teeth coming in at the same time I had mono 15'ish years ago. The back of my mouth was like the eighth circle of hell.

Didn't get more than a couple hours sleep for 3 days from the pain of the two. Even with heavy pain meds I eventually got, it still sucked. 

9 hours ago, Green Building said:

Well, it is a virus. You can contract it just as easily as a cold. People like to call it the "kissing disease", but that's quite the misnomer.

Sucks about Dahlen though, I was looking forward to seeing him skate with everyone.

he might get lucky and have a milder version of it, not everyone deals with it for months. He sounds like he feels OK now so fingers crossed. Even if he gets a 1/2 season in thats fine either in Utica or Sweden. 

Dahlen on when he will be back : "It's up to the doctors to decide. If it was me, I would start playing right away." #Canucks

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/905413436196044801

Edited by Jimmy McGill

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he might get lucky and have a milder version of it, not everyone deals with it for months. He sounds like he feels OK now so fingers crossed. Even if he gets a 1/2 season in thats fine either in Utica or Sweden. 

Dahlen on when he will be back : "It's up to the doctors to decide. If it was me, I would start playing right away." #Canucks

That's good news. If he's feeling like he wants to play, then he's likely not getting hit too hard by mono. When I had it, I was pretty much bedridden for quite a while and doing anything active was the last thing on my mind. Everyone is different, but hopefully Dahlén's is a "light" case and doesn't keep him out for too long.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

I ended up with wisdom teeth coming in at the same time I had mono 15'ish years ago. The back of my mouth was like the eighth circle of hell.

Didn't get more than a couple hours sleep for 3 days from the pain of the two. Even with heavy pain meds I eventually got, it still sucked. 

I do not envy you there, J.R. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I didn't fall for that one, when I felt better, not less $&!#ty, but better, I waited 2 more weeks before resuming normal physical exercise and stuff. No way I wanted that beast returning, but I didn't have doctors looking in on me so maybe I played it too safe. I'm not sure what the doctors are going to be able to tell him though, it isn't like a blood test can confirm how likely the virus can spring back up again. At least, I don't think they can.

He'll be fine, but it certainly is a setback.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Plenty of false positives.  Was told I had it and wasted a month or two of sitting around doing nothing while I was just fine.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Kungfudru said:

This f'n sucks. Esp in such an important year of development for him. This will definitely set him back in regards to progression. So dissapointing to hear. 

Uh, no.  Hockey is now a 12 month sport for the most part and taking off a mean-nothing tournament and missing some of Sept/Oct from playing will not harm his development.   In many ways, these guys play too much hockey and having a mental break to think about things for a while can actually be a good thing and give them the resolve and focus needed to really maximize the value of these formative development years.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Green Building said:

Oh I definitely remember the painful drinking, but the fever didn't give me hallucinations :( only pain haha. My early symptoms before "It hit" was I was feeling really really tired at like 7pm and I was just super confused. When it hit, I felt like a zombie during work, but I didn't get it checked until I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst feeling I have ever faced, and I described everything to the hospital, since it was 4am and they immediately had me tested and diagnosed for Mono. Yeah I had to take multiple breaks for a video game, I don't think hockey is on the to do list for at least a month.