The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exposing Biega as a forward?!

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, b3. said:

This management and coaching staff are both now making my head hurt.:wacko:

Actually...it's not a bad idea if  they can pull it off.  It would still leave Sbisa exposed on the back end but almost ensure our forwards were expansion free.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Actually...it's not a bad idea if  they can pull it off.  It would still leave Sbisa exposed on the back end but almost ensure our forwards were expansion free.

correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't it also expose Gudbranson on the back end too? 

I'm curious if the Canucks have a deal in place with vegas to take Biega for a pick. 

Vegas will likely want to take other dmen, which they can only take so many, so the Canucks are finding a loophole to expose biega as a forward. 

Theyd keep sbisa, and possibly look at trading a dman.

thats my hypothesis 

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What would that do? The expansion draft list isn't based on how many you expose but, how many you protect. Regardless if Biega is exposed as a forward, Gaunce is still exposed, and so is Sbisa.

Hey, don't expect the talking heads to figure that out.

Not totally sure on the motive here, but if it's for expansion requirements they should already have enough players, as they can simply re-sign guys like Cramarossa and Chaput.  They likely counted on Dorsett but perhaps he's ineligible now with the injury?  Doesn't do anything for protection status or issues.

3 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What would that do? The expansion draft list isn't based on how many you expose but, how many you protect. Regardless if Biega is exposed as a forward, Gaunce is still exposed, and so is Sbisa.

Vegas can only select a specific amount of forwards and defensman.  Perhaps another team needs a forward to expose, and yes there are requirements of players that you have to expose at every position...  like games played over the last two years.  You have to have a specific amount of player that meet those requirements.  

so if another team needs a player that meets those requirements, we'll Vancouver may have one that counts as a forward or dman and perhaps could net a draft pick out of it...

or perhaps they add a pick to biega for vegas and they get to keep gaunce and sbisa, which you'd think would line up the ability to trade a dman

Just now, winthecup said:

have to protect players with no trade clauses

Thought it was just NMC.  Ah whatever, isn't going to happen anyways but it would be addition by subtraction and one less vet. mailing it in. 

They need 2Fs that are under contract for next season and who have played the 40/70 games.  Right now they have none.  Dorsett might not qualify because he missed too many games.  So they need to get 2 Fs who have played the minimum games under contract by expansion draft.

Megna and Skille are UFA and they might not want to bring them back.  Boucher and Shore are RFAs but don't have the minimum games.  
Edit: Boucher needs 4 more games.

So it leaves to sign 2 between Cramarossa, Chaput and Gaunce (all three RFAs) by the expansion draft.  They might not want to bring back Cramarossa (apparently he was claimed to replace injured Skille and not recall someone from Utica).  Chaput has arbitration rights - so if he elects arbitration he won't be signed on time.

I think if Biega is exposed as a F or a D, Vegas will likely look past him onto anyone else who is available. This could however be the basis for a trade heading into the expansion draft. I'm thinking after the season for a team that doesn't have the required 2 F/ 1 D exposed. Move Beiga for a pick prior to the draft in that case.

Still a headscratcher. 

9 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Hey, don't expect the talking heads to figure that out.

you nailed it

i do not get why those quasi troll media members / talking heads have so much influence on people

come on everyone

please think for yourself a bit

they are idiots, $&!# disturbers, doing whatever they can to incite controvesy

largely based on distorted opinions or incorrect facts

all for the sake of riling people cuz it helps with ratings

Archived