The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL All-Stars snub fans......Except Horvat, and some other guys named Greztky and Orr

terrible.dee

This is awesome, thanks for sharing.   Bo has that extra special something going...a respect for the game, not only now, as he plays it, but for those before him.  He is like a fanboy at times (his Dad too), and that's awesome.  There is something very humble and admirable in their excitement.  Maybe some now have a sense of entitlement and forget the roots part, but they should stop to smell the roses in stopping to sign the autographs.  That's a privilege...to have kids lined up to see you.  What a shame to those who ignore it.

Back in the day, we'd get autographs outside the Coliseum and I remember one guy brushing past everyone.  Until I tracked him down that is.  We had a giggle and he turned around and high tailed it back to the crowd to sign for the kids.  Didn't take much persuasion...it seems he just got used to walking through the crowd vs engaging with it.

Don't forget where you come from, boys.  We want the next generation of kids to grow up being motivated by their hockey heroes.  If you don't take time for them, why should they make time for you? 

With that, one of the funnest interactions I ever had was during the lockout, at the charity game.  The players there were having a blast (May, Jovo, etc.).  The bus was parked outside and they didn't want to board it, because they were busy entertaining the crowd.  It was awesome.  Even just a brief few moments can be a big deal to a fan...those who don't have "time" for that are missing the point.

46 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Bo has that extra special something going...a respect for the game, not only now, as he plays it, but for those before him.  He is like a fanboy at times (his Dad too), and that's awesome.  There is something very humble and admirable in their excitement.

The whole Horvat family just seems so sweet and relatable. Maybe it's because they're from a small town. They all just seem like regular people, and they behave accordingly. I have seen people before say they met the Horvat parents in the stands at games, how nice they are, and how they go out of their way to hand out Bo's cards or track him down after for a photo op.

I've said it before, but Bo just has this awesome quality about him that makes him seem like everyone's son, or brother. He makes me real proud to be a Canucks fan. 

6 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

A quick anecdote I thought CDC might want to here, a small ray of light during these dark times....

I spoke to a friend yesterday and we realized we had yet to discuss his experiences at All-Star weekend though it's been a while since it happened. He's a Duck's season tickets holder and unlike me goes in for all the regular fan type stuff (Autographs, pics, commemorative merch ect.) also, so you can picture things from the player perspective he's 21 years old normal to hipster looking and has his girlfriend with him (Cute, normal to slightly Kardashian-ish looking)

He claimed he had a great time enjoyed all the events, had a blast ect. but that one part of his experience had left a bad taste in his mouth: The current NHL players...(the F'N All-Stars if you will) refused to sign autographs. 

"Well" I replied playing devil's advocate "The problem is that if they sign one, they have to sign them all, I'm sure there was some kind of official signing event for fans who had paid for all the events."

There was but it had been inexplicably cancelled.

"Then they must have packed the schedule too tightly and the players didn't have time to start signing things."

Nope. all the players were staying at the same hotel near the L.A Live plaza of which Staples is a part, so they were all milling around the plaza with not much to do for hours at a time.

"Avoiding the scummy guys who only get stuff signed to sell it?"

Nope, saw P.K Subban flat out say "no" to a mother and little girl who had a pic of Subban on the ice while she sat rink side behind the glass. He wasn't in a hurry, in fact he had skipped the player's shuttle and decided to walk to Staples (really close) in full view of fans, and was still refusing to sign and this was AFTER the signing had been cancelled.

"Lame" I said having run out of excuses "But kind of typical NHL too. they couldn't market Bottled water in the Sahara....so, everyone was a dick?"

No, he said. Because they were having the 100 greatest players thing, all the legends were there, and not only did he get their autographs, pics ect. he NEVER SAW THEM TURN A SINGLE FAN DOWN. Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr ect. ect. all of them signed whatever and wherever they were asked, he noted that Gretzky and Orr in particular, were really really nice and seemed to be really enjoying themselves, they were talking to any fan who wanted to talk, answering questions, taking pictures ect.

"Well, I guess those guys are from a different generation" I said "They appreciated that fan interest paid their salaries and were grateful for it......so none of the current players were cool?" "Well" He said, there was one  one current NHL player...only one....who took time out of his busy (sarcasm) All-Star schedule to sign an autograph and chat, "Who?" I asked "Your boy Horvat" he replied "He Signed took pics and stopped to chat. you could tell he was really grateful to be there"

So there you go, we may not be the most successful team ever but from Smyl and Linden through the Sedins, Burrows and Naslund all the way to Horvat we have at least had some player worth cheering for.

Have a nice day

We knew the torch is being passed to some very capable hands, but this was great to hear. I think you can just see his family has raised him the 'right' way. Small town values have led him to where he is, and I don't think he'll ever lose them

Really has #16 written all over him. Alot of people have been critical of Benning and Linden, Benning getting some kudos now, but few saying much about TL. He has made an effort to take Bo under his wing off the ice, something few people talk about, its starting to get obvious.

I really love that this kid is going to be our next captain - Gillis certainly did something right in that goalie debacle!

5 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

I've met Gretzky 3 times when I was a young kid. He's a grade A DICK.

Orr was one of the nicest players I've ever met.  Not suprised Bo is a beauty to the fans.  Some of these guys seem to forget, without the fans, there are no multi million dollar contracts.  Without the fans, they are just grown men who play hockey.  To turn people down at the ALL STAR GAME. an event for the fans, is just gross.

sounds to me like you just are a hater and making it up I have met /seen gretz  a couple of times in my life and he is one of the nicest people i have ever met. 

1. Saw him at the olympics, he was in the team canada box (vancouver) and people were rushing up the aisle to get his autograph on their canada jerseys, (adults) before game time, he signed every one, and as security came to stop people as the game was starting he told all the people to take them off and throw them up, he spent the first period basically autographing jerseys people had thrown into the box, then they came and got them in the intermission - is that a Dick? no chance

2. Personally met him at his restaurant and at a bar in toronto -second time with his son. Didn't want to bother him just said it was a pleasure to meet him in person and thank him for so many entertaining moments. As I turned away, he stopped us and asked us our names, where we were from (Vancouver) and he chuckled, and I said i know where that's from - I said I grew up as a kid hating you lol. We ended up having  30 min conversation over a beer with his son Trevor, who is  great kid.

He stops and says hello to everyone, signs everything and I have to say, If I were him I would be sick of it, and inside perhaps he is a bit but would never admit to it, instead he smiles asks people questions etc.

I am not sure where you get this idea from but its contrary to pretty much anyone who has met the man

48 minutes ago, BoDangles53 said:

sounds to me like you just are a hater and making it up I have met /seen gretz  a couple of times in my life and he is one of the nicest people i have ever met. 

1. Saw him at the olympics, he was in the team canada box (vancouver) and people were rushing up the aisle to get his autograph on their canada jerseys, (adults) before game time, he signed every one, and as security came to stop people as the game was starting he told all the people to take them off and throw them up, he spent the first period basically autographing jerseys people had thrown into the box, then they came and got them in the intermission - is that a Dick? no chance

2. Personally met him at his restaurant and at a bar in toronto -second time with his son. Didn't want to bother him just said it was a pleasure to meet him in person and thank him for so many entertaining moments. As I turned away, he stopped us and asked us our names, where we were from (Vancouver) and he chuckled, and I said i know where that's from - I said I grew up as a kid hating you lol. We ended up having  30 min conversation over a beer with his son Trevor, who is  great kid.

He stops and says hello to everyone, signs everything and I have to say, If I were him I would be sick of it, and inside perhaps he is a bit but would never admit to it, instead he smiles asks people questions etc.

I am not sure where you get this idea from but its contrary to pretty much anyone who has met the man

Sorry to hurt your feelings Wayne,

but I was just sharing my 3 experiences as a child trying to get Gretzky to sign something.  Not saying he isn't a nice guy, I believe I am allowed to share my experiences though. I'm sure he has been nice to plenty of people, maybe I just met him on off days. He is human after all.  No reason to get all upset about it,  I know I'm not. I ended up buying myself a signed Gretzky 16x20 I have displayed on my wall.  But yes I'm just a "hater"  

Knew from the moment I learned Horvat wears 53 in honour of Ian Jenkins that he had serious character. It sounds cheesy but I'm glad the Canucks care about developing good people just as much they do about developing good players:

Good read, thanks for sharing.

8 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

The second he we drafted and his first interview you knew we had a guy with the right attitude. Doesn't surprise me at all that Bo doesn't forget where he came from and still being grateful that he can make such a living doing something he enjoys. 

Playing devils advocate for a moment... you never really know ....

5 hours ago, -Stammer- said:

really? My Dad knew someone who had conncections with the Oilers in their glory years. He always said that Messier was a huge dick and Gretzky was one of the nicest players he'd known. 

I've met both of them, Messier makes my skin crawl he's one of the biggest aholes ever. Gretz on the other hand was awesome taking time to meet with every kid, won't sign most of the time though due to the memorabilia sharks out there, highlight of my life meeting him. No one beats Linden though, believe it or not Bure was awesome to meet and really friendly, maybe retirement has changed him lol

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Sorry to hurt your feelings Wayne,

but I was just sharing my 3 experiences as a child trying to get Gretzky to sign something.  Not saying he isn't a nice guy, I believe I am allowed to share my experiences though. I'm sure he has been nice to plenty of people, maybe I just met him on off days. He is human after all.  No reason to get all upset about it,  I know I'm not. I ended up buying myself a signed Gretzky 16x20 I have displayed on my wall.  But yes I'm just a "hater"  

you seem really butt hurt sorry to hear  - at least you got your lollypop in the end!

I'm a little bit surprised about Subban considering from what I've seen, he is usually the one who likes to take pics with fans and sign autographs... Maybe something changed? Who knows.

I'm sure all the players took the time to sign things and take pictures with fans at some point during All Star Weekend. Maybe just not as often

17 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

The second he we drafted and his first interview you knew we had a guy with the right attitude. Doesn't surprise me at all that Bo doesn't forget where he came from and still being grateful that he can make such a living doing something he enjoys. 

Gillis lucked out at the draft. It could have been a disaster. Schneider at the time was our total future in goal. Sure they research Bo's leadership skills, his homelife, personality I'm sure along with his playing ability, but they couldn't have known he'd develop into basically the best version of him they could have ever projected, and more. To the point that it doesn't matter now how well Schneids ever does, because we got a real diamond in the rough in the deal.

22 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

That's funny because there was someone in these forums when Schnider was traded for the Horvat pick. 

He wasn't happy and I never forgot this response from him "No Horvat ... Even his name sounds like a bust"

Archived