The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft 2017 "What if....?"

boomer29

On 4/15/2017 at 9:57 PM, CanadianRugby said:

Hirschier.  No point in taking a chance on Patrick due to his serious injury.  Neither guy is predicted to be elite, take the "safe" option. 

do you know what that injury is to Patrick?

very hush hush.

9 hours ago, lmm said:

do you know what that injury is to Patrick?

very hush hush.

Sportsnet article dated Nov 8, 2016
In Patrick’s case, it is what the team describes as an upper-body injury that has him on the sidelines for an indefinite term. In this case, the definition of “upper-body” pertains to anything above the knees. Patrick had sports-hernia surgery over the summer and right now he’s nursing an abdominal injury (unrelated to the surgery, per the Wheat Kings). And “indefinite” amounts to “your guess is as good as mine.” As updated on November 7, the information that has been provided to NHL Central Scouting is listed as (complete with punctuation): “Range; 2-3 weeks or 4-5 weeks?”

I believe he went on to miss 3 months.

1 hour ago, 2011 said:

Sportsnet article dated Nov 8, 2016
In Patrick’s case, it is what the team describes as an upper-body injury that has him on the sidelines for an indefinite term. In this case, the definition of “upper-body” pertains to anything above the knees. Patrick had sports-hernia surgery over the summer and right now he’s nursing an abdominal injury (unrelated to the surgery, per the Wheat Kings). And “indefinite” amounts to “your guess is as good as mine.” As updated on November 7, the information that has been provided to NHL Central Scouting is listed as (complete with punctuation): “Range; 2-3 weeks or 4-5 weeks?”

I believe he went on to miss 3 months.

Didn't he end the year with a knee injury?

16 minutes ago, appleboy said:

What if they take Vilardi at first.

You mean Canucks take him first overall? That means Moneypucks draft list was a little off. I'd be ok with taking him first but I think I'd still take Patrick ahead unless the injuries are really going to hurt him in the long run. 

8 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

You mean Canucks take him first overall? That means Moneypucks draft list was a little off. I'd be ok with taking him first but I think I'd still take Patrick ahead unless the injuries are really going to hurt him in the long run. 

I am on the side who think Patrick will struggle to stay healthy. So for me you have a softer forward with good skill versus a bigger forward. Both have a lot of skill but have things to improve on.

Hischier versus Vilardi.

Patrick may be the best all round player in this years draft but if he is always injured? Will the Canucks be willing to take that risk. They need a home run.

24 minutes ago, appleboy said:

What if they take Vilardi at first.

I like Vilardi, but first might be a stretch.

Vilardi is almost a full year younger than Patrick, which means there is more potential for development.  However if you compare this years Vilardi to last years Patrick its pretty obvious that Patrick is the better of the two.  Same with Hischer comparisons.   I would honestly take Vilardi 3rd overall.  I like him a lot better than Mittelstadt (Not sure why somebody his age would play in a high school league).  If Van gets 4th overall, even though there is a need for Center, I think Liljegren is the right pick.  Liljegren and Juolevi would be a great tandem for years.

My preferred draft order (for Vancouver):

1. Hischer

2. Patrick

3. Vilardi

4. Liljegren

5. Mittelstadt

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

I am on the side who think Patrick will struggle to stay healthy. So for me you have a softer forward with good skill versus a bigger forward. Both have a lot of skill but have things to improve on.

Hischier versus Vilardi.

Patrick may be the best all round player in this years draft but if he is always injured? Will the Canucks be willing to take that risk. They need a home run.

I agree with you. I guess it's up to Benning and the doctors in regards to Patrick. They did take Virtanen after a pretty serious shoulder surgery though. As people know I'm super high on Vilardi so if we took him over Patrick or Hischier I'd be ok with that. Any of those 3 guys I'd be happy with though. 

13 minutes ago, 2011 said:

I like Vilardi, but first might be a stretch.

Vilardi is almost a full year younger than Patrick, which means there is more potential for development.  However if you compare this years Vilardi to last years Patrick its pretty obvious that Patrick is the better of the two.  Same with Hischer comparisons.   I would honestly take Vilardi 3rd overall.  I like him a lot better than Mittelstadt (Not sure why somebody his age would play in a high school league).  If Van gets 4th overall, even though there is a need for Center, I think Liljegren is the right pick.  Liljegren and Juolevi would be a great tandem for years.

My preferred draft order (for Vancouver):

1. Hischer

2. Patrick

3. Vilardi

4. Liljegren

5. Mittelstadt

I agree that Patrick is the best all round player. They need to take a long hard look at his injury history. Taking him is a risk.

I agree with the rest of the list and feel that one of these players will be a Canuck.

Button seems to think that Makar and Necas  should be in that mix. It just shows how close the top ten are.

It would be nice to see us acquire another top 10 pick.

23 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I agree that Patrick is the best all round player. They need to take a long hard look at his injury history. Taking him is a risk.

I agree with the rest of the list and feel that one of these players will be a Canuck.

Button seems to think that Makar and Necas  should be in that mix. It just shows how close the top ten are.

It would be nice to see us acquire another top 10 pick.

Gaborik

I like NP, maybe he's the next Malkin, but maybe he's the next IR mainstay too. 

Anyone see Glass play today at the under 18s, team Canada versus team Swiss.  Had both hischier and Glass amongst others.  I think this was Glass 1st game, heard from commentary and he had 2 goals and an assist, after a long flight over, no jet lag was noticeable.  His play was very noticeable, looked like a difference maker to me.  I think know his name will be in the mix with Middlestadt, Vilardi, and Liljegren. 

1 hour ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Anyone see Glass play today at the under 18s, team Canada versus team Swiss.  Had both hischier and Glass amongst others.  I think this was Glass 1st game, heard from commentary and he had 2 goals and an assist, after a long flight over, no jet lag was noticeable.  His play was very noticeable, looked like a difference maker to me.  I think know his name will be in the mix with Middlestadt, Vilardi, and Liljegren. 

Honestly Glass is awesome. I'd love to see us trade a vet to get him.

1 hour ago, mountainnuck said:

^ This.

Expecting fifth ,so any better is a bonus.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst? 5th would be absolute worst case scenario. We have 2nd best odds at picking 1/2. So I sure hope we don't slide to 5th. You may expect it but I'll be pissed. 

I would hate to be the team to pass on Nolan Patrick.
He has Team Canada type upside.

The injuries are worrying though, and Nico is pretty spectacular in his own right.
Gonna be fun to speculate wherever we land in the draft order.

We need a knockout though. Who on the board really screams 'knockout'?
None imo, but a few have insane upside. It's gonna be a very tough call for old Jimbo.

Archived