The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

BC Boy, 14 years pro experience.  Successful as a coach at CHL and AHL level, knows the players and prospects and management.  I can see why some people are mad.

We are going to suck next year and the year after that most likely.  If Quenneville had been fired yeah I would have been on the veteran coach train but I am not sure the retreads around really were that exciting.  Crow just doesn't thrill me.  I also don't look at the WCE with the rose coloured glasses that so many do.

Still do want to see someone smart and experienced added to the management team in a VP hockey ops level position.

Agree.  Green is a fine choice.  Gallant had me intrigued but that ship sailed.  A dump truck of money for Quenneville given the chance would've been great.  Other than that, I can't think of anyone that is head and shoulders above Green, so let's give it a shot.  Great coaches have to be given their first chance somewhere.

5 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

The problem is people were so upset about WD being coach, lack of NHL experience and so on. The team basically promotes the same type of coach. Maybe I am wrong I am not an analyst or anything but as much as I am willing to see what Green has I am also of the feeling this is the same scenario we just endured. 

Further having Jarvis remain, maybe as assistant but also to help with the transition of Leagues concerns me from everything ive read he is defense defense and boring defense in terms of style. 

The Canucks are trying to open up opportunity for younger and more offensive players they have in their system, should they not be adding someone like a Marc Crawford who coaches a more up tempo exciting style and has shown as in past to give more opportunity to the younger up and comers too ?

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'd rather have Green as the new coach than Gulutzen (CGY) Some people are so negative, slamming every move TL/JB make. These types of people will never be happy, can't imagine how sad their regular lives are. Always looking at the negative. Canucks fans have had to deal with a lot of adversity, lots of bad luck, lots of heartbreak. We need to change the attitude on how we view our team. This is our team, shouldn't we be supporting that? Shouldn't we be excited that the old core is coming to an end and we have a lot of new young, talented players coming up? There was an incredible amount of negative comments about Willie during his tenure, and now that he's gone, those people are now complaining about the new coach, and he hasn't even officially been named yet. I don't get it. GCG!

I think you raise an important point.

It's easy to be negative all the time regarding a struggling franchise.

Not expecting people to be 'positive' when they don't believe, or not critical of things they disagree with, but there's certainly a need on some level to retain some positivity, otherwise it all just descends into something toxic that there is literally no point in engaging in.

47 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yes, and by extension, it's also fair enough to disagree with your opinions as fans.

when it comes to suggesting that ownership comes here for advice, I find it highly ironic - and maybe just my impression, but I really doubt the majority of CDC is very supportive of the current management group's decisions, so the suggestion that CDC 'informs' ownership is pretty ironic. 

If ownership were informed by CDC, I think it's far more likely that there would be no one left standing in management, and there would be no one over 24 on the roster.

Every time there is a poll on this board about management it portrays this board as pro management and the best way to rep farm here is to complain about CDC and Canuck fans not being supportive enough. It's actually the opposite of what you are saying. You seem to be generalizing the board based upon opinions that you do not like. 

While I am not pro management I don't believe I speak for everyone here nor have the board behind me. I am cognizant that this is first and foremost a home team forum and sometimes my views will be unpopular if they are not fully supportive of Lindenning but at the same time I will always come to the defense of the Canuck fans entirely. Were a large group of posters with differing opinions up to and including the mods themselves. 

Best way to handle it is to just deal with the opinion of individuals and deal with them as an individual. 

We are all CDC and Canuck fans and that means you as well. We all want the same results, just disagree sometimes with the methods.

15 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Every time there is a poll on this board about management it portrays this board as pro management and the best way to rep farm here is to complain about CDC and Canuck fans not being supportive enough. It's actually the opposite of what you are saying. You seem to be generalizing the board based upon opinions that you do not like. 

While I am not pro management I don't believe I speak for everyone here nor have the board behind me. I am cognizant that this is first and foremost a home team forum and sometimes my views will be unpopular if they are not fully supportive on Leindenning but at the same time I will always come to the defense of the Canuck fans entirely. Were a large group of posters with differing opinions up to and including the mods themselves. 

Best way to handle it is to just deal with the opinion of individuals and deal with them as an individual. 

We are all CDC and Canuck fans and that means you as well. We all want the same results, just disagree sometimes with the methods.

In terms of generalizations, your first comment in that post is merely a counter-generalization - 'the opposite is true' which pretty much betrays the truth that we're all individuals and we all have our own opinions - and that generalizations probably don't apply - so point taken, sort of, but I think you compromised your point by doing precisely what you accused me of.

Perhaps I spend too much time in the Game Day Threads - where it is exceedingly easy to come up with the impression I have.

As far as 'rep farming' I find that an obnoxious term as if anyone gives a crap about plusses and minuses.  Perhaps it's a projection on your part - it appears to matter to you.

Just now, crazycry said:

One major benefit for Green being head coach is that he knows most of our prospects already. Hopefully we'll see Suban in a few games. 

What is the obsession with rushing Subban he struggled at times even in Utica, I'm all for seeing him here one day but not until he is ready which right now he is not. 

56 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would like to see an experienced and accomplished assistant or associate coach to help.

Green, Baumgartner, and Jarvis will need help. Kitchen might be a good option. 

Whoever handles the Power Play though needs to be a creative thinker willing to try different strategies and personnel. The strategy is the main problem as it is built around slowing down the play and looking for the perfect Sedin to Sedin pass. We have to look beyond that.

Wasn't Kitchen the head coach of the Hitman in Virtanen's draft +1 season?

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

What is the obsession with rushing Subban he struggled at times even in Utica, I'm all for seeing him here one day but not until he is ready which right now he is not. 

I don't see the harm in giving Subban a few games. Most of us didn't even know what to expect when Hutton or Stecher stepped in. 

Just now, crazycry said:

I don't see the harm in giving Subban a few games. Most of us didn't even know what to expect when Hutton or Stecher stepped in. 

We'll see what he's got in the preseason but he was very hit or miss in the AHL and is not NHL ready yet, need some patience with him and Virtanen 

2 minutes ago, crazycry said:

I rather watch Virtanen than Megna or Chaput. 

Me too, can't wait to see the new and improved Virtanen. I'm sure if he does play a regular role, he's not going to F that up. Green knows where he came from, why he was sent to Utica, and what he needed to work on. Virtanen won't get away with slacking or enjoying his free time how he used to. I'm excited for next year. Camp will be very competitive. I wonder if the Sedins make the team. LOL (jk)

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

In terms of generalizations, your first comment in that post is merely a counter-generalization - 'the opposite is true' which pretty much betrays the truth that we're all individuals and we all have our own opinions - and that generalizations probably don't apply - so point taken, sort of, but I think you compromised your point by doing precisely what you accused me of.

Perhaps I spend too much time in the Game Day Threads - where it is exceedingly easy to come up with the impression I have.

As far as 'rep farming' I find that an obnoxious term as if anyone gives a crap about plusses and minuses.  Perhaps it's a projection on your part - it appears to matter to you.

I think rep is ridiculous but it's obvious it matters to some or at least those that think the minus button is a weapon. Wasn't accusing you of farming it but making a point what gets a lot of plusses and that's grumbling about us being terrible fans for some reason.

Game day threads over the last few debacle years would be the worst place to look for roses and sunshine. People like to vent and what better way than to write one sentence here and there in a thread that'll be buried in 24 hours? I'm sure you recall the happy dances during the winning years. You've been here as long as I have.

Archived