The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

I would like to see an experienced and accomplished assistant or associate coach to help.

Green, Baumgartner, and Jarvis will need help. Kitchen might be a good option. 

Whoever handles the Power Play though needs to be a creative thinker willing to try different strategies and personnel. The strategy is the main problem as it is built around slowing down the play and looking for the perfect Sedin to Sedin pass. We have to look beyond that.

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

For the record, I'm pro Travis Green and think this is a good hire. As far as what you have pointed out above, it is important to remember that Moderators are also fans with opinions. We are members here just like you, and have opinions just like you. We also just happen to volunteer to help administrate/moderate this board as well. So many people come down on the Moderators for our decisions or giving our opinions on the team. I think it's important to remember that not only is there a very necessary separation between our opinions on the team (personal) and our moderation (business), but also that being a Moderator is a tough and thankless job. We are human just like everyone else. 

yes, and by extension, it's also fair enough to disagree with your opinions as fans.

when it comes to suggesting that ownership comes here for advice, I find it highly ironic - and maybe just my impression, but I really doubt the majority of CDC is very supportive of the current management group's decisions, so the suggestion that CDC 'informs' ownership is pretty ironic. 

If ownership were informed by CDC, I think it's far more likely that there would be no one left standing in management, and there would be no one over 24 on the roster.

Greens relationship with management, and players in our system for the past 3 years already has him far ahead of Desjardins starting point.

This familiararity keeps things more cohesive than what we may have seen with Desjardins.

Im looking forward to, and hoping that there is more motivation inspired towards our Vets than what may have taken place over the past 3 years.

Im sure that "term" of contract is the last discussion to finalize,.  I wouldn't hesitate to go 4years with TG.

16 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

If he fails, people will say Willie wasn't the problem. If he succeeds, people will say Willie paved the way for him.

This will be the last head coach that the Benning/Linden regime will hire. I wish Green well, but I doubt this will work out.

Willies failure wasn't in the record. No coach could've helped that roster. Willies failure was deployment re: biega at forward, twins getting first line pp time despite not producing for 82 games, twins not being seperated even once, megna, Larsen. If all geeen does is mix it up a bit ....he will be a success. But don't expect record to change (which for next year...is a good thing ie 2018 draft)

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Ironic, considering half the moderating team is here criticizing this signing.

What I also find ironic is the basis upon which you're all doing it.

We all know none of you liked Desjardins - but it's sad that you're taking it out on Green - who is responsible for Green and Green alone.

Perhaps y'all could be open minded enough to take him on his own terms as opposed to judging him guilty by association as you have.

I'm not convinced any of you have given him a whiff of a chance - it's all WD 2.0 and another rookie in your minds.

Disappointing wadr.

It seemed to me that before Willie was fired, you'd be hard-pressed to find a Green critic. They came out of the woodwork once Willie was fired as the potential for Green as our next head coach became real. I personally liked Desjardins to some extent; I was a pro-Desjardins fan. I wasn't in favour of his firing, but you have to deal with what management decides. I was definitely in favour of Green until others pointed out reasons to be wary. I'm not against signing Green, just not as excited as I once was before.

I am really happy management had the guts to sign the right guy who deserved it. Green will be a good guy to represent our team for years to come. I hope he finds success with this young group we have and leads us to our first Stanley Cup Championship in franchise history. 

24 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Ironic, considering half the moderating team is here criticizing this signing.

What I also find ironic is the basis upon which you're all doing it.

We all know none of you liked Desjardins - but it's sad that you're taking it out on Green - who is responsible for Green and Green alone.

Perhaps y'all could be open minded enough to take him on his own terms as opposed to judging him guilty by association as you have.

I'm not convinced any of you have given him a whiff of a chance - it's all WD 2.0 and another rookie in your minds.

Disappointing wadr.

I wish moderators would stick to moderating and not express personal feelings, get involved in drama etc.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

even with a very depleted roster in Utica, the Comets played a very aggressive, uptempo game.  I loved watching them this year.  They just didn't have the horses to be competitive.  It was a a serious testament that reen kept them in the hunt until the very last game.  had JB sent down Goldy earlier, they would be playing right now.

Agreed. Green did a remarkable job with what was essentially an ECHL roster.

Since you've seen them play stawns, is the aggressive, uptempo game indicative of how they generally play?  That's what I'm hoping to see from this team next year. We're going to lose a lot over the next two or three years, which I'm ok with so long as they play that uptempo, aggressive game and give the yoot's room to be creative and grow into their roles.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It seemed to me that before Willie was fired, you'd be hard-pressed to find a Green critic. They came out of the woodwork once Willie was fired as the potential for Green as our next head coach became real. I personally liked Desjardins to some extent; I was a pro-Desjardins fan. I wasn't in favour of his firing, but you have to deal with what management decides. I was definitely in favour of Green until others pointed out reasons to be wary. I'm not against signing Green, just not as excited as I once was before.

It's fair enough to be critical or disagree with management, and being a moderator shouldn't preclude expressing that - for me it's the idea that 'Green is just the same as Desjardins' that I find unfair - Green deserves a chance, and to be taken on his own grounds - not to be dismissed as Desjardins 2.0 or bound to fail because some people feel Desjardins failed.

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yes, and by extension, it's also fair enough to disagree with your opinions as fans.

when it comes to suggesting that ownership comes here for advice, I find it highly ironic - and maybe just my impression, but I really doubt the majority of CDC is very supportive of the current management group's decisions, so the suggestion that CDC 'informs' ownership is pretty ironic. 

If ownership were informed by CDC, I think it's far more likely that there would be no one left standing in management, and there would be no one over 24 on the roster.

Fair enough. Disagree away. I just hear a lot of Moderator bashing all the time and wanted to give my outlook on that. Not all of my response was at you more of a general statement. 

As far as the management getting advice from CDC thing, I can't speak for @-AJ-, but I'm sure that comment was meant to be in jest. 

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wish moderators would stick to moderating and not express personal feelings, get involved in drama etc.

That's not fair. We are members just like you. We just happen to also volunteer our time to help maintain the community. See below. 

28 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

For the record, I'm pro Travis Green and think this is a good hire. As far as what you have pointed out above, it is important to remember that Moderators are also fans with opinions. We are members here just like you, and have opinions just like you. We also just happen to volunteer to help administrate/moderate this board as well. So many people come down on the Moderators for our decisions or giving our opinions on the team. I think it's important to remember that not only is there a very necessary separation between our opinions on the team (personal) and our moderation (business), but also that being a Moderator is a tough and thankless job. We are human just like everyone else. 

5 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Agreed. Green did a remarkable job with what was essentially an ECHL roster.

Since you've seen them play stawns, is the aggressive, uptempo game indicative of how they generally play?  That's what I'm hoping to see from this team next year. We're going to lose a lot over the next two or three years, which I'm ok with so long as they play that uptempo, aggressive game and give the yoot's room to be creative and grow into their roles.

They played the same way every game I watched, and that was most games from early Decemeber on.  Obviously they had off games now and then, but they worked their tails off every night.  The injuries to beg club hit the Comets hard, so they just didn't have the roster to really be effective.

Just now, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Fair enough. Disagree away. I just hear a lot of Moderator bashing all the time and wanted to give my outlook on that. Not all of my response was at you more of a general statement. 

As far as the management getting advice from CDC thing, I can't speak for @-AJ-, but I'm sure that comment was meant to be in jest. 

Moderators are like referees - depending on who you're talking to, they never make the right call.

I'm not intending to bash any mods - I've crossed the line enough to know that they've been fair with me (even the ones that disagree with my perspective) when it came to telling me to reel it in - so no complaints about the mods here.

Just a difference of opinion.

33 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Disappointing wadr.

I'm judging Green based on his previous actions and experience as a coach. I see many similarities to Willie, but as I said, I hope he does well, and I'm in no way writing him off. You're free to disagree but I think it's a little unfair that you jumped to 'giving him no chance' when nothing of the kind was said. 

BC Boy, 14 years pro experience.  Successful as a coach at CHL and AHL level, knows the players and prospects and management.  I can see why some people are mad.

We are going to suck next year and the year after that most likely.  If Quenneville had been fired yeah I would have been on the veteran coach train but I am not sure the retreads around really were that exciting.  Crow just doesn't thrill me.  I also don't look at the WCE with the rose coloured glasses that so many do.

Still do want to see someone smart and experienced added to the management team in a VP hockey ops level position.

I don't get the comparisons to WD other than they both worked in the same organization.  Often the AHL coach is subject to working in a system dictated by the NHL club.

Their experiences are very, very different other than that they both coached in the AHL.  Career coach vs former NHL player.  Long Juniour coaching career, vs <1 season.  Previous NHL assistant coach vs no NHL coaching experience.  Only similarity in resume is that they have head coaching experience in AHL and both went to finals.  Are we going to say all coaches with AHL experience are going to be the same as Willie, that seems a little limiting.

20 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm judging Green based on his previous actions and experience as a coach. I see many similarities to Willie, but as I said, I hope he does well, and I'm in no way writing him off. You're free to disagree but I think it's a little unfair that you jumped to 'giving him no chance' when nothing of the kind was said. 

Fair enough - I'm not sure these criticisms are actually fair based on his actions or experience - or that the similarities are strong enough to make that 'many similarities' criticism stick (personally I hope there are many similarities to WD's stronger points)  but that's your opinion.

In fairness, I didn't jump to 'giving him no chance' - what I actually said was I'm not convinced you've given him one - which is different imo - but maybe a misread on my part.

Archived