The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5th Overall: CDC 2017 Draft Consensus

5th Overall: CDC 2017 Draft Consensus  

532 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Im in Calgary. The heritage league is quite good although in fairness the majority of the players in the league are ex pros. 

Ah, well if I ever move to that part of the world it would be great.   I assume your league always needs netminders - and of course they play free and get free adult beverages too (lol).

On 5/2/2017 at 2:20 PM, funkyfresh said:

Pick your top 3 players for the 5th overall pick at the draft. The last choice is for the player you do not want. 

The following players have not been included because there is little chance of them being available at the 5th pick:

1. Nolan Patrick
  2. Nico Hischier

Previous results:

iMjwNWr.png

5CLMm4I.png

2mdqxx2.png

5p0751.png

25ter6v.png

Jeezus, I'm sure glad CDC isn't making the pick. That's some frighteningly bad player evaluation on display there. The panning of Brandon Carlo is especially embarrassing.

3 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Jeezus, I'm sure glad CDC isn't making the pick. That's some frighteningly bad player evaluation on display there. The panning of Brandon Carlo is especially embarrassing.

Why? No one really knows for sure how a prospect's development is going to go. Scouts are wrong more often than they are right. Just take a look at past Pronman/Button/McKeen's lists and they all look awful in hindsight. Predicting the future of 17/18 year old kids is not an easy task.

20 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ah, well if I ever move to that part of the world it would be great.   I assume your league always needs netminders - and of course they play free and get free adult beverages too (lol).

That's why I play goalie... I love it and get free icetime and beverages. 

Not even any good, but make it entertaining.  

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

That's why I play goalie... I love it and get free icetime and beverages. 

Not even any good, but make it entertaining.  

Hang in there....if I quit everytime someone said or wrote something about how crappy and am/was I would have quit when I was about 10.   For every accolade you get you will get more than ten times the opposite.   People love to hate so don't be so hard on  yourself.   Being a goalie is hard - but apparently easy from the stands or the couch.

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Hang in there....if I quit everytime someone said or wrote something about how crappy and am/was I would have quit when I was about 10.   For every accolade you get you will get more than ten times the opposite.   People love to hate so don't be so hard on  yourself.   Being a goalie is hard - but apparently easy from the stands or the couch.

Just curious, Rob, why do you hang out on a Canuck's message board of all places?

4 minutes ago, theminister said:

Just curious, Rob, why do you hang out on a Canuck's message board of all places?

Entertainment.   Rehabbing and have lots of down time between gym and ice.  SO so busy and I hate most of what is on TV - and you can only walk a dog so many times a day.  Teams  I follow the most are Canes and Panthers - check out their boards sometimes, dead as Canuck powerplay.   I started to really like the Canucks in the 2011 final while watching from Europe and I was impressed how they tried valiantly to beat both the Bruins and the officials.   I also liked something the management did for me a long time ago but it was a class move.

Just can't get hockey out of me I guess.

Nothing complicated, what is your reason?   

20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Entertainment.   Rehabbing and have lots of down time between gym and ice.  SO so busy and I hate most of what is on TV - and you can only walk a dog so many times a day.  Teams  I follow the most are Canes and Panthers - check out their boards sometimes, dead as Canuck powerplay.   I started to really like the Canucks in the 2011 final while watching from Europe and I was impressed how they tried valiantly to beat both the Bruins and the officials.   I also liked something the management did for me a long time ago but it was a class move.

Just can't get hockey out of me I guess.

Nothing complicated, what is your reason?   

I'm a local, grew up with the team through the 80s and 90s. Joined the board in its first year, 2003, and it was a relatively small community then. Habit maybe?

For many years now I only keep coming back because of our fantasy league, the CDCGML. I then occasionally venture outside of it, and usually only to get a reading of the temperature of the market. There are some good posters who are worth listening to and bouncing ideas off of. Most of the time I don't find much value in posting unless it's to point out something I believe is obvious but being overlooked. 

I have made real life friends of a few here, met up with others at games or tourneys, and Vintage Canuck is a resource in and of himself. I do find it harder and harder to bother as much with the majority of the board as I used to.

I only asked because I knew you were an Ontario boy, and I never knew you had any connection with this team. I was wondering if you'd moved West.

7 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

The "do not want" Logan Brown and the current "do not want" Rasmussen crowd are of note.. Virtanen has deeply scarred this fan base along with the Canucks Army brainwashing against bigger players.

I mean, I didn't / don't want them either at our draft position but to single them out for a "do not want" vote like that is a bit much.

On 2017-06-10 at 1:54 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not worried about being the best, I'm a 43 year old Paramedic.  Every day above ground is a good day. 

The fitness, even a beer league.. at least I don't have to take slapshots to the head. 

12 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

The "do not want" Logan Brown and the current "do not want" Rasmussen crowd are of note.. Virtanen has deeply scarred this fan base along with the Canucks Army brainwashing against bigger players.

I mean, I didn't / don't want them either at our draft position but to single them out for a "do not want" vote like that is a bit much.

I agree. If you watched the Memorial Cup Logan Brown was very impressive. I can't imagine Ottawa fans are too unhappy with that pick.

On 2017-6-10 at 0:29 PM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I am not worried about being the best, I'm a 43 year old Paramedic.  Every day above ground is a good day. 

The fitness, even a beer league.. at least I don't have to take snapshots to the head. 

Sincerely, thank you. That's a damn hard job and we need you.

Heskainen is the number 1 player I want at 5th overall. I seriously doubt he's available for us though as I don't see the Avs passing on him. Vilardi would be my second choice. After that, any one of Necas, Liljegren, Pettersson or maybe even Glass (don't know a lot about him) would be fine by me. 

If we do snag Heskainen at the draft, I think there would be a decent explanation for the casual fans. We could point out Nashville's success this past year with 4 above-average defenseman. We could also reference some of the recent trades that have been made to emphasize the value of a young defenseman. I don't really see the public's opinion as a valid reason to not take the best player available. 

I'm a bit surprised to see Glass as the top pick. His greatest strength, playmaking, is not at the level of a 1st line forward IMO. If Glass and Vilardi are both 2nd line talents, Vilardi definitely has the better make-up for a second line centre and he is more flexible in that he can play wing.  

The first line talent players available are Mittlestadt and Pettersson but they are less of a safe bet.

On 6/10/2017 at 0:51 PM, ilduce39 said:

On 6/11/2017 at 1:21 AM, Salmonberries said:

I agree. If you watched the Memorial Cup Logan Brown was very impressive. I can't imagine Ottawa fans are too unhappy with that pick.

In his draft+1 season he got 40 points in 35 games in the OHL. This is after getting 75 points in 60 games the year before. I can't imagine Ottawa's management being happy with that. I think CDC got that one right (although I do think Rasmussen will be a good player, just not as a #5 draft pick).

If available, I would be inclined to go: Valardi, Glass, Heskainen, Mittlestadt, then Makar, in that order. Given that Patrick and Heischer will (most likely) go 1-2, that leaves a guarantee to get one of them. Even though it weakens us a lot, especially if Sbisa is grabbed by LV, I would still like to see Tanev in a package to grab #3. Then, Valardi at #3 and either Makar or Heiskainen at #5.

2 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

In his draft+1 season he got 40 points in 35 games in the OHL. This is after getting 75 points in 60 games the year before. I can't imagine Ottawa's management being happy with that. I think CDC got that one right (although I do think Rasmussen will be a good player, just not as a #5 draft pick).

I wasn't familiar with the stats line but he did play quite well in the Memorial Cup. Looks like a pro to me.

Archived