The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Litmus test- Tanev deal

5 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

If I'm JB, no way I trade our 1st this year with a chance at grabbing Gabriel Vilardi. 

Drouin has a way higher ceiling than Vilardi, plus Vilardi isn't even projected to be a 1C.....

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

Drouin has a way higher ceiling than Vilardi, plus Vilardi isn't even projected to be a 1C.....

Says who he isn't projected to be a first line centre? 

Vilardi reminds me of Jason Spezza. He will be a 1C in his prime, plus we've already got Horvat who is poised to be a 1C. Horvat and Vilardi could be like Krejci and Bergeron in Boston. 

4 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Says who he isn't projected to be a first line centre? 

Vilardi reminds me of Jason Spezza. He will be a 1C in his prime, plus we've already got Horvat who is poised to be a 1C. Horvat and Vilardi could be like Krejci and Bergeron in Boston. 

While that may be true, Drouin is still the better option over Vilardi.  

Just now, morrissex95 said:

I like him, but he's skinny af. Gaining weight will affect his skating. Plus he'll take way longer to develop then Vilardi. 

So we should pass on Drouin because Vilardi will be in the NHL quicker?

Newsflash: We're gonna be trash for at least 2 more seasons before we have any chance making playoffs, so how does it matter?

3 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So we should pass on Drouin because Vilardi will be in the NHL quicker?

Newsflash: We're gonna be trash for at least 2 more seasons before we have any chance making playoffs, so how does it matter?

I also think that Vilardi will be a better NHL player then Pettersson in the long run

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Our defense without Tanev 

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pedan/Juolevi - Biega

That's why Tanev has such a high price tag on him. 

While I agree and understand what you're saying about the d without Tanev,  my point is I don't think any other GM cares what our d looks like one way or another.  Therefore,  finding another team that needs a Tanev-like asset is more important than finding a team that has an asset that we specifically need if that makes any sense. 

Tanev is one of our best trade pieces, so people will wonder what they could get for him. Imaginations run wild. As far as I know, TL and JB really like Tanev and I doubt he'll be traded soon. Canucks are slim at RD, so trading away their best RD isn't a great move.

Would love Drouin though. Hutton, Baertschi and SJ's 4th??

Drouin - Horvat - Boeser

Daniel - Henrik - Granlund

Goldobin - Sutter - Eriksson

?

Elder - Tanev

Juolevi - Gudbranson

? - Stecher

Subban

37 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

I also think that Vilardi will be a better NHL player then Pettersson in the long run

So value wise

Vilardi > Petersson 

but

Drouin >> Tanev

I would still take Drouin and Petersson because in 3 or 4 years Juolevi will be just as effective as Tanev is.

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

This is probably the best return we can get, but if Drouin is on the table at all we go for it.  Players like that are rarely available.  He is 22 years old (same age as Horvat) and had more goals, and a better overall season than any Canuck, while only playing 73 games.  If it takes Tanev plus a swap of first rounders I say we do it.

Not at 5v5 - his points come from the PP.   His numbers are rather average at 5v5 - if you rank every forward with at least 40 games - he's beyond the half-way mark - closer to a 3rd liner than a 2nd liner.   It's the PP that makes the bulk of the difference.

22 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So value wise

Vilardi > Petersson 

but

Drouin >> Tanev

I would still take Drouin and Petersson because in 3 or 4 years Juolevi will be just as effective as Tanev is.

I'd rather trade Tanev to Toronto for Kapanen and their first then trade Tanev and swapping picks with Tampa for Drouin. 

Kapanen is a right-handed shot with Virtanen floundering, we could use him. He could end up to be as good as Drouin with time. No space for him in Toronto. 

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

His litmus test was at the trade deadline which he knocked out of the park.  I have nothing but confidence he'll get good value back for Tanev.

The trade deadline is a different animal than any other time of the year for trades.

Usually the winner of trades is the passive party.  In other words, if you actively shop someone you get a lot less in return than if a GM approaches you and asks for a certain player.

Case in point, Chirelli really wanted to get a top 4 defenseman last summer and he had Hall and Yak to dangle.  Larson is a serviceable 2nd pair D and certainly a nice piece but the price was a fully mature former 1 OA Taylor Hall.

Archived