The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Litmus test- Tanev deal

To be honest with you I think JB has done a OK job to this point, but what he gets for Tanev will be the true litmus test. He needs to hit a homer on this one. nothing less than a deal that would see Drouin, or Landeskog...like return would be a failure. Drouin should be the highest target priority if Drouin is available. 

4 minutes ago, Ojibwa72 said:

I still say Kapanen + is a far better option. Kapanen is and will be that good but doesn't fit in TO's plans right now. Time to help out in that situation.

I was saying the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Toronto will never give up Nylander or Marner but one would have to think they would take a good, long look at Tanev if Kapanen + is the asking price.

Just now, captaincowbasher said:

you think Kapenen will be better than Drouin?

its a possibility but you get a pick plus the prospect instead of having to add prospects to get Drouin or Landeskog. It's more asset management than anything.

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Why do people assume it's a forgone conclusion that Tanev gets traded?  If anything I'd think it's a long shot that he gets moved

I bet he gets traded to Tampa Bay

1 hour ago, Ojibwa72 said:

I still say Kapanen + is a far better option. Kapanen is and will be that good but doesn't fit in TO's plans right now. Time to help out in that situation.

I think any Tanev deal has to have a good prospect and a 1st or a young stud who can step in right away. 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Why do people assume it's a forgone conclusion that Tanev gets traded?  If anything I'd think it's a long shot that he gets moved

I haven't seen anyone say it's a forgone conclusion he gets traded. But if Tanev gets put on the market which he should, he'll get a premium. 

2 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

To be honest with you I think JB has done a OK job to this point, but what he gets for Tanev will be the true litmus test. He needs to hit a homer on this one. nothing less than a deal that would see Drouin, or Landeskog...like return would be a failure. Drouin should be the highest target priority if Drouin is available. 

Is this coming from Botchford's article in the province posted today or do you have some other insight on the probability of this happening?

Because, as much as I would love to see Tanev traded - and I really would (great player, great potential return for the future, and excitement for fans looking for hope) - I can't see this management group doing it. Hope I'm wrong. 

Moving Tanev is very unlikely imo, unless someone really shows up with an offer no GM could refuse. At this point with the Tyramkin gone, I'd try to trade Edler and if no takers, expose Edler to Vegas to keep Tanev and maybe try to pick up Alzner as a free agent. Risky because you could simply end up losing Edler for nothing, but I think Tanev is a far better partner for Juolevi than Edler is for Stecher e.g., 

Many people here believe Tanev is worth a kings ransom - I'm not fully convinced myself. 

How much is an excellent shot-suppressing d-man truly worth?  

I think it depends entirely on the team interested of course.   

Very low first rounder would be absolute upper limit and a deal we take in a second imo with a high second with a throw-in attached  (pick or prospect) more realistic is my guess. 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Many people here believe Tanev is worth a kings ransom - I'm not fully convinced myself. 

How much is an excellent shot-suppressing d-man truly worth?  

I think it depends entirely on the team interested of course.   

Very low first rounder would be absolute upper limit and a deal we take in a second imo with a high second with a throw-in attached  (pick or prospect) more realistic is my guess. 

Our defense without Tanev 

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pedan/Juolevi - Biega

That's why Tanev has such a high price tag on him. 

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

Our defense without Tanev 

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pedan/Juolevi - Biega

That's why Tanev has such a high price tag on him. 

Would look alot better with a big Russian nhler back there :(

I'll be happy if Tanev got us a mid first rounder and a good prospect.

The Maple Leafs would probably be our ideal trading partner. 

Their first round pick (18th), Andrew Nielsen, and a 2018 2nd rounder for Tanev and a 4th.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Nielsen - UFA (Stone/Franson)

Subban/Pedan

28 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I'll be happy if Tanev got us a mid first rounder and a good prospect.

The Maple Leafs would probably be our ideal trading partner. 

Their first round pick (18th), Andrew Nielsen, and a 2018 2nd rounder for Tanev and a 4th.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Nielsen - UFA (Stone/Franson)

Subban/Pedan

Toronto's 2018 1st Rounder and Kasperi Kapanen.

Tanev makes Toronto a cup contender. 

Kapanen adds to our forward depth. Toronto's 1st rounder probably lands us a guy like Callan Foote, particularly if we move up from the 18th pick. 

6 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Toronto's 2018 1st Rounder and Kasperi Kapanen.

Tanev makes Toronto a cup contender. 

Kapanen adds to our forward depth. Toronto's 1st rounder probably lands us a guy like Callan Foote, particularly if we move up from the 18th pick. 

This is probably the best return we can get, but if Drouin is on the table at all we go for it.  Players like that are rarely available.  He is 22 years old (same age as Horvat) and had more goals, and a better overall season than any Canuck, while only playing 73 games.  If it takes Tanev plus a swap of first rounders I say we do it.

1 minute ago, Adarsh Sant said:

This is probably the best return we can get, but if Drouin is on the table at all we go for it.  Players like that are rarely available.  He is 22 years old (same age as Horvat) and had more goals, and a better overall season than any Canuck, while only playing 73 games.  If it takes Tanev plus a swap of first rounders I say we do it.

If I'm JB, no way I trade our 1st this year with a chance at grabbing Gabriel Vilardi. 

Archived