The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Dman 5th overall

Which Dman at 5?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Most experts and fans alike are anticapting the Canucks drafting a C in the upcoming draft ; however, it is reasonable to think the Canucks might pick another Dman, if their top rated C is off the board when they are picking. Benning stated, his looking for a top line C or a first pairing Dman.

If the Canucks were to take a Dman at 5, which one?

2 Fins, Juolevi and Heiskanen for the next 10-15 years?top pairing?

Go with the RHD - Makar

He would be good with Juolevi in a few years.

Canucks aren't very deep at RD, and if they have any intention of trading Tanev, they'll need to fill that side of the prospect pool.

I'd probably go with Heiskanen (though I think COL likely takes him) as the best.

I think the Canucks are hoping for Glass and if he's gone it will be between Necas or one of Makar/Lilljegren (whoever they have ranked higher). 

I wouldn't be devastated if we drafted a D at #5, but I wouldn't be happy.  I want us to draft the BPA.  

In my opinion there is no D in the top 5 this year, and after the top 5 (Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Glass, Mittlestadt) there is a noticeable drop off in talent.

If we did go D however , this is the order I would want them in.

1. Makar

2. Heiskanen

3. Valimaki

4. Liljegren

1 minute ago, Ichiban604 said:

I'm curious. If we were to insert Juolevi in this years draft. Why will he rank among the top 3 Dman???

I'd probably have him pretty damn even with Heiskanen.

We really need a solid 1st or 2nd line solid center.  The center is key to a line clicking, and once Henrik is gone that position must be filled because Sutter just isn't that guy.

With this said, I think Benning is big on defense and defencemen take longer to develop, so getting that set now and forwards later might not be a bad strategy.  Besides that, if he is indeed considering moving Tanev for forward help then Nucker67 is right - we will need a replacement on that side and perhaps that is where our forward talent could come from as well.

Since all the top prospects this draft are centers and defencemen, I simply want Benning to pick the best player available.  

Got to think of the future, which is best?

Juolevi - Makar

Hutton - Gudbranson

Brisebois - Stecher

Juolevi - Liljegren

Hutton - Gudbranson

Brisebois - Stecher

Juolevi - Stecher

Heiskanen - Gudbranson

Hutton - Subban

I could see us loading up on D prospects while we rebuild as they take longer to develop and young D seem to have higher trade value than FWD prospects. We could easily flip the D we pick in 2 years for a better C than there would be available @ 5th in this draft. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I could see us loading up on D prospects while we rebuild as they take longer to develop and young D seem to have higher trade value than FWD prospects. We could easily flip the D we pick in 2 years for a better C than there would be available @ 5th in this draft. 

Only if the D turn out.  If Glass is the Johansen comparable, is there a Jones comparable in this draft?

#1 center are just as, if not more valuable than top pairing D.

Heiskanen. Definitely Heiskanen. Some Finnish posters over at HFBoards believe Heiskanen, like Juolevi, are just as good if not better defenseman than Ristolainen was when he was a young prospect playing over there. Ristolainen is now a 40 point #1 defenseman. They play different styles and have different physiques, but nonetheless the level of #1 defenseman isn't out of the question for Juolevi or Heiskanen.

Juolevi - Heiskanen

Hutton - Gudbranson

Brisebois - Stecher

Juolevi and Heiskanen being the top pairing, all purpose shutdown or offense pairing. Can match up against speedy forwards. 

Hutton and Gudbranson being used for a shutdown role as well, especially against bigger forwards.

Brisebois and Stecher provide good depth on defence. They both are great skaters and can move the puck, and they both can hold their own defensively. 

Juolevi and Heiskanen pairing for the next decade plus would be amazing for this franchise. They would in all likelihood be the top pairing for Finland at the World Championships, World Cup, and Olympics, where they would also get to play alongside Barkov, Laine, and Puljujarvi.

Archived