The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - PHI

If we end up drafting Dman (Heiskanen) or Winger (Tippett) with the 5th Overall pick I think we should try to acquire Sean Couturier from the flyers at the TDL. I believe he can put up 40+ points on the second line and is excellent defensively. Philly has a log jam at center with Giroux, Schenn. Couturier, and now Patrick or Nico. 

To Van: Sean Couturier 

To Phi: Jake Virtanen

While i am a fan of Virtanen and think he will be an effective winger in the NHL (probably second line winger), philly would probably like his crash and bang potential and you have to give something to get something. Could be a one for one hockey trade and we could start him on the third line until Henrik retires.

Lines next year :

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Daniel-Henrik- Eriksson 

Granlund- Couturier- Sutter

Gaunce- UFA- Dorsett  

Goldobin in AHL   

Year after not including draft picks:

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Goldobin-Couturier-Eriksson 

Dahlin- Gaudette- Granlund

Gaunce- Sutter- Dorsett   

Their center spot is pretty much sorted now with whoever they draft. Giroux, Schenn and Couturier are as clear-cut a 1>2>3 center progression in the NHL as there is. Hirschier or Nolan goes back to junior next year, AHL the following year and slowly but surely replaces Giroux as the top dog over there. I don't see them trading any of those 4 centers any time soon because there's no real log jam. Couturier is a perfect big strong 3C. Schenn is putting up points like never before as a very decent 25 goal scoring 2nd line center and Giroux's still got what it takes.

Nico really would put that team over the top. Their defensive prospects are the best in the NHL. Now Hirschier would give them some very elite skill up front too. All they need after that is a decent future goalie.

52 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Their center spot is pretty much sorted now with whoever they draft. Giroux, Schenn and Couturier are as clear-cut a 1>2>3 center progression in the NHL as there is. Hirschier or Nolan goes back to junior next year, AHL the following year and slowly but surely replaces Giroux as the top dog over there. I don't see them trading any of those 4 centers any time soon because there's no real log jam. Couturier is a perfect big strong 3C. Schenn is putting up points like never before as a very decent 25 goal scoring 2nd line center and Giroux's still got what it takes.

Nico really would put that team over the top. Their defensive prospects are the best in the NHL. Now Hirschier would give them some very elite skill up front too. All they need after that is a decent future goalie.

I think if they draft patrick, he will be ready to go sooner than later and could step into the NHL next year. This would make Couturier expendable but they may wait until the end of the year to move him, if they have trouble with the cap. 

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think if they draft patrick, he will be ready to go sooner than later and could step into the NHL next year. This would make Couturier expendable but they may wait until the end of the year to move him, if they have trouble with the cap. 

Someone being expendable doesn't mean they are going to move him for peanuts

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It really depends who goes 1st overall to NJ but even if they end up taking Nolan, he's going to have to play limited minutes for 1 year, then only really contribute when he's 19-20 years old. Couturier could always switch to the wing as well, giving them a lot of options. If I were Philly I'd keep all 4 guys.

10 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I believe he can put up 40+ points on the second line

I believe Virtanen has potential to be a 40+  point player .

10 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

While i am a fan of Virtanen and think he will be an effective winger in the NHL (probably second line winger), philly would probably like his crash and bang potential

This is exactly why we drafted this guy .

To give up on him would be a mistake, i would rather draft a center at 5 and take a D-man at 33 as the 2nd round is notorious for pumping out NHL D-men. 

52 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

I believe Virtanen has potential to be a 40+  point player .

This is exactly why we drafted this guy .

To give up on him would be a mistake, i would rather draft a center at 5 and take a D-man at 33 as the 2nd round is notorious for pumping out NHL D-men. 

Yes

3 hours ago, jono2009 said:

People really need to give Jake the benefit of the doubt that he's going to be good with his next chance with the Canucks. 

Have hope people!!

I do believe he will be a very good player for us but couturier is also a very good young player. If we cant fill the gap henrik will leave it makes sense to move a winger for help down the middle, that being said i do think we will fill that need this draft with Vilardi, Mittlestadt or Glass. This deal would be contingent on us drafting a winger or Dman and Virtanen showing well in the NHL next year.  

It also depends how much money Gostisbehere gets paid this contract as he is an RFA, if they give him 5.5 long term they may be forced to move someone.  

17 hours ago, Pears said:

Couturier is one of the better third line centers in the game. Zero chance Philly trades him let alone straight across for Virtanen. 

They're more likely to move Schenn if they feel they have to move a center. Maybe if they feel Giroux is getting too old for their new group then maybe him for the right price. But hard to believe they move Couturier - especially for that kind of return.

22 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I thought Schenn played on the wing last year?

Anyway, I think they would keep Couturier even if they draft Hischer or Patrick.

I was thinking however that maybe they need some cap relief?

To Canucks: Andrew MacDonald ($5m), Sanheim, Konecny, Dale Weise (2.5m)

To: Philli: Tanev, Columbus 2nd, Subban

Might be too much coming back to the Canucks but I think Philli needs help on the Right Side of the D. Provorov being supported by Tanev would be desirable, I think. Subban helps on the right side too. He's smaller but fast and might be better suited in the East(?)

Konecny becomes expendable because of their 2nd overall.

They get an idea extra second round pick this year or next and they get 7.5 million in cap relief for the n CY three years.

Nucks get fleeced at the bank but get Sanheim who between him and OJ and Hutton really solidifies the LHD position for 10 years or more.

Konecny adds young scoring.

In Weise Canucks get an expensive insurance policy on Dorsett.

Philli is giving up more of

course because Canucks are getting hosed financially, but Philli , through the cap dump in this proposal gets to go shopping for a new starting goalie which they need.

with Giroux approaching 30, Flyers feel like they need to take a big run sooner than later.

Archived