The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Tanev to Toronto (Scott Cullen)

5 hours ago, theminister said:

Why? He'd fit perfectly. 

It's a buy low option for a top C prospect. Kid has skills, equally on par with Glass for this draft. 

Spend a year, or half of one, in the AHL and be the top C prospect in the system immediately. The timing works with Henrik very well.

Just not on the Strome hype train, no matter which flavour.  They are like Kinder Surprise -- name brand, tasty chocolate, then you open them up and all that's inside is an unsatisfying piece of plastic.  The chocolate was okay, but certainly expected more.

45 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Just not on the Strome hype train, no matter which flavour.  They are like Kinder Surprise -- name brand, tasty chocolate, then you open them up and all that's inside is an unsatisfying piece of plastic.  The chocolate was okay, but certainly expected more.

What were you expecting? He was only drafted two years ago. He was on two dysfunctional WJC teams where he played well but was snakebit.

Attachment leads to suffering?

On Thu May 11 2017 at 7:50 PM, TheHitman said:

Nylander and a second would be awesome. 

Forget their 2nd!!! I'll throw in our 2nd with Tanev just to have a sniff at Nylander!!! You guys still don't realize how severely we struggle to score goals!

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

OEL turns 26 this summer.

Tick tock....

Well, they're basically in the same boat as we are with Tanev. OEL has 2 more years left on his contract and I have a hard time seeing him re-signing after missing the playoffs year after year. Unfortunately for Arizona, they just aren't in the position to be adding big ticket players. It's not going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Look no further than our acquisition of Eriksson. Bottom feeders need to build through the draft. So I don't see why Arizona would willingly give up huge future assets like Strome and their 1st round pick when it still doesn't even make them a playoff team. If Tanev is traded for prospects/picks it will be to a playoff caliber team. If we do end up trading with another rebuilding club then I could see players off of their roster coming back in a forward for defenseman type deal. Just my 2 cents

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Forget their 2nd!!! I'll throw in our 2nd with Tanev just to have a sniff at Nylander!!! You guys still don't realize how severely we struggle to score goals!

This is actually more realistic than the other Nylander trade proposals. I'd rather sweeten the pot and add to Tanev if it meant we got Nylander instead of B level prospects and picks. I don't care if it's an overpayment. 

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Kapanen or Nylander plus should be the return instead of two players that are no better then what we have

Nylander is a 61 point producer in his rookie season. I doubt Tanev's going to be worth that much.

If we wanted Nylander, I think WE would have to add, not them. Tanev is not Larsson and won't fetch a Hall.

Besides, Toromto's not just going to give up their future like that. They would look pretty bad if they pulled a trade like that.

1 hour ago, theminister said:

What were you expecting? He was only drafted two years ago. He was on two dysfunctional WJC teams where he played well but was snakebit.

Attachment leads to suffering?

#5 overall Ryan is 24 this summer and has scored over 30 points once, and didn't like what I saw from Dylan in the Memorial Cup.  Matthew's projected second round this year but isn't even PPG yet.  They're still young and maybe they'll all become stars, but at the likely asking price I'll let someone else take that gamble.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Kapanen and a 1st though sounds fairly appealing.

Decent value and Kapanen's a good prospect, but we don't need more wingers.  If we're going to move our prime asset, we need to use it to get back what we need most and what will be most costly -- a play-making center.

21 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Buffalo makes sense actually.  As a fan of both teams I would be quite happy if Buffalo got Tanev.  He'd be perfect 

As a Vancouver fan I would love to get Buffalos first. Good trade imo

Not meant just directly at you, but why are so many users here obsessed and gung ho about getting first round draft picks this year? Yes conventional wisdom would say 1st round picks are a big value, (and don't get me wrong they are) but the draft is a very weak one in comparison to the last couple years this time. A mid 1st round pick this year would be the equivalent to a 2nd round pick any other year, which lowers the value of a 1st that we'd get in return. If anything this is the year we should go after players instead of draft picks. Now had this been 2016 or 2015 I'd be all about the picks.

36 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Decent value and Kapanen's a good prospect, but we don't need more wingers.  If we're going to move our prime asset, we need to use it to get back what we need most and what will be most costly -- a play-making center.

We can get that in the draft though and Toronto doesn't have one they'd be willing to give or even worth Tanev.

Having more wingers with skill wouldn't be bad. We need more of those. Actually we need a lot of different type of forwards so wing is a need, just not as significant as center, which can be had at the draft like I stated.

Toronto's 1st can land a potential top 4 defenseman or even a big bodied gritty winger.

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Having more wingers with skill wouldn't be bad. We need more of those.

Boeser, Baertschi, Eriksson, Granlund, Dahlen, Goldobin, Rodin, Virtanen... all are projected to be at least top-9 wingers.  If we get a clear upgrade and can move the others, okay, but getting a (or more) top-6 play-making C that can get them the puck is the biggest need up front.

18 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We can get that in the draft though and Toronto doesn't have one they'd be willing to give or even worth Tanev.

And there's the problem -- 1/2 C's are rarer and more valuable than skilled wingers, and like top-end dmen not typically available.  It's fine to say "just draft them" but easier said than done, otherwise we may already be there.

14 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

I agree, dont understand why fans think we need to completely gut it out. Once were competitive (2-3yrs) were gonna be looking for a tanev only to give up an asset to aquire another tanev type player.

While ordinarily I'm in this train of thought I'm not when it comes to Tanev and there's four main reasons why it makes sense to trade him now.

1) Tanev has a modified NTC kicking in in July and afterwards it'll be much harder to trade him.

2) Tanev's value has never been higher and it's always good to sell high. 

3) Tanev has been extremely injury prone and what good is a defenseman if he never plays because he's always injured? After 2 seasons in a row of injuries it's more likely then not he will continue to be frequently injured. I think having the pieces Tanev would bring back would be far more beneficial to our team.

4) If we trade him we save an extra protection slot on D and that allows us to keep Sbisa in the expansion draft and likely only lose Gaunce or Biega, which is nothing compared to what many teams will have to give up.

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

+1

As far as proposals go, it's a good offer. Carrick is a very good young RHD. In a few years, he may be as valuable as Tanev. Leipsic and the 1st give us an infusion of talent we desperately need. We have a few solid top-end prospects in our system, but SEVERELY lack in "secondary" talent.

Pretty good return for a D-man with Tanev's injury history.

Our entire roster is filled with secondary talent. We already have enough of those, we need bonafide star players and more middle of the road top 6'ers won't get us anywhere. Quality > Quantity.

14 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Boeser, Baertschi, Eriksson, Granlund, Dahlen, Goldobin, Rodin, Virtanen... all are projected to be at least top-9 wingers.  If we get a clear upgrade and can move the others, okay, but getting a (or more) top-6 play-making C that can get them the puck is the biggest need up front.

And there's the problem -- 1/2 C's are rarer and more valuable than skilled wingers, and like top-end dmen not typically available.  It's fine to say "just draft them" but easier said than done, otherwise we may already be there.

I don't think Eriksson or Rodin will be key pieces to our next core. As it stands now they are only here to help push the young guys. Virtanen is still a ways away as well.

14 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

We are already half way there thanks to who we drafted at 9th overall almost 4 years ago. You're right to say it is easier said than done but drafting is still the best way to acquire top 2 Cs, especially if you're able to draft high which we have been.

27 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Why does everyone forget Boucher? In his last 19 games he put up 7 points. He was a waiver pick up and once he got some decent ice time he made the most of it. His hockey IQ is extremely high as well as his skill set and if he can improve his skating man this guy is going to be a treat to watch. He's going to surprise people come training camp, mark my words.

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

People are out too lunch here lol no way we get nylander for tanev such a joke ahaha pure delusional my god

Archived