The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Jonathan Drouin, conditional 2018 6th-round pick to Canadiens for Mikhail Sergachev, conditional 2018 2nd-round pick

Wow Montreal signed him for a 6 year $5.5 AAV contract.  That is a good deal for them.

That probably puts a ceiling on Horvat's contract if the number hasn't already been agreed on.  He should be between the $4.6-5.5 number (probably around $5 million)

Just now, Warhippy said:

Kyle Turris was drafted 3rd overall.  Cam Barker was also drafted 3rd overall.

Please stop making "draft spot" your platform.

Because we just got a ransom in return for a guy drafted 2nd last in the 9th round and a guy who was picked up from a ball hockey league

I already addressed this in a later post. Draft position does not automatically add value....however, high draft position is perhaps the truest indicator of overall potential. It's not proof, but it can be used as an excellent indicator in some situations. Larsson's situation was a good example of this. Oilers paid such a high price for the potential that came with Larsson. That is all.

1 minute ago, Hortankin said:

You know I'm talking about CHRIS Tanev and not Brandon Tanev right? TO made a huge jump last year and their only real question mark is lack of experience and an elite shutdown Dman. How can you not see that Tanev is a perfect fit for them?

Tanev would be a great fit for them but there's no way in hell that they give up Nylander, Marner or Matthews. 

3 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

You know I'm talking about CHRIS Tanev and not Brandon Tanev right? TO made a huge jump last year and their only real question mark is lack of experience and an elite shutdown Dman. How can you not see that Tanev is a perfect fit for them?

Nylander for Tanev is delusional

It just is. 

I don't even have the time to type up a well reasoned reply for this.

5 minutes ago, PassittoBoeser said:

I think the issue is they don't think he's a C - I agree with you but maybe there are flaws in his game (perhaps on the d side) that don't make him a real C and thus they may trade him for one. That is my guess..But given their lack of young offensive talent, I agree moving him is stupid, especially given how well he's played for a young player at this stage, way to early to give up on him, he's been very good offensively. Defense you can teach, unless he's too high maintenance  / uncoachable but Drouin isn't a saint either.

Well even if he isn't a C, he's one of the best C/W hybrids on that team period.  He'd be 4th on our team in scoring at 23 years old

Let that sink in

23 years old.  That's like us giving up on Horvat next season just because

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If they're seriously shopping Gally now, after basically riding 2 months of the season with less quality center depth than even we had than they're idiots.

Although, if they want we DO have this kid who is a center with a french sounding last name in gaudette.

If they want to maybe throw us Gally and a conditional 3rd for Gaudette and a 5th I'd be down.  You know, since Bergevin is about to completely destroy his teams ability to compete by leaving Plekanec, Flynn or Shaw as their #1 center lol

Danault was their C1 this season.  

Bergevin and Julien do not believe that Galchenyuk is ready to play C right now.  They have both declared at the end of the season that he will play wing until he improves his game.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Well even if he isn't a C, he's one of the best C/W hybrids on that team period.  He'd be 4th on our team in scoring at 23 years old

Let that sink in

how is trading him giving up on him? They filled his spot with Drouin. Now it is time to revamp another area....

4 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

I already addressed this in a later post. Draft position does not automatically add value....however, high draft position is perhaps the truest indicator of overall potential. It's not proof, but it can be used as an excellent indicator in some situations. Larsson's situation was a good example of this. Oilers paid such a high price for the potential that came with Larsson. That is all.

See Griffin Reinhart

Just now, Warhippy said:

Let that sink in

I agree I really don't get why Bergevin has a hate on for offensive players when he needs offense (Subban and Gally)

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Danault was their C1 this season.  

Bergevin and Julien do not believe that Galchenyuk is ready to play C right now.  They have both declared at the end of the season that he will play wing until he improves his game.

Daneult is not a real 1c he's a placeholder because of whatever flaws they see in Gachenyuk's game, I'd be curious to know why they have had issue with him, I suppose it must be repeated defensive errors/not learning?

IMHO, (just looked at his plus minus and I know its not an accurate stat but its very respectable), if his issues are correctable, I do hope JB is looking at him hard.

Does Tanev, and our 2nd (33) get it done? If so I think you do it. I'd even go as far as Tanev and Virtanen for Galchenyuk and their 1st.

Galchenyuk centered Goldobin and Reid Boucher in junior and they were a terror - we have 2 of them!

Just now, Warhippy said:

See Griffin Reinhart

?

They traded a 16th overall for a former 4th overall.

What is your point?

This only proves mine. Where did I say these trades always pan out. Trades can't always pan out as there are two sides. Every trade is speculatory in nature. Often they don't pan out as intended.

Just now, cdubuya said:

how is trading him giving up on him? They filled his spot with Drouin. Now it is time to revamp another area....

So...if we were to maybe get Vilardi this year, could/should we give up on or trade Horvat because we filled his spot with Vilardi?

Seriously, no.

Just because they picked up Drouin does NOT mean they should simply trade Galchenyuk at 23 years old.  Honestly.  

When the Wings picked up Hull in 2001, did they then immediately say no sorry we don't need you Robataille, we got Hull we're good.

At 23 years old, trading galchenyuk who is actually more accomplished a centre than Drouin simply because they got Drouin is about as short sighted as a GM could get

Just now, Warhippy said:

So...if we were to maybe get Vilardi this year, could/should we give up on or trade Horvat because we filled his spot with Vilardi?

Seriously, no.

Just because they picked up Drouin does NOT mean they should simply trade Galchenyuk at 23 years old.  Honestly.  

When the Wings picked up Hull in 2001, did they then immediately say no sorry we don't need you Robataille, we got Hull we're good.

At 23 years old, trading galchenyuk who is actually more accomplished a centre than Drouin simply because they got Drouin is about as short sighted as a GM could get

Well what if they get a great haul for him?

Wait til you see the return before saying trading him is a bad idea.

1 minute ago, PassittoBoeser said:

Daneult is not a real 1c he's a placeholder because of whatever flaws they see in Gachenyuk's game, I'd be curious to know why they have had issue with him, I suppose it must be repeated defensive errors/not learning?

I know that but he was their default choice.

At the end of the season Bergevin compared Galchenyuk's situation to the one of a chain smoker / alcoholic who has yet to aknowledge that he has a problem.  He thinks that Galchenyuk was just not willing to listen up to now on how to improve his game.  They feel that he now finally got the message and understands that there are things he needs to improve on if he wants to take the next step.

This was Julien - https://sports.yahoo.com/news/canadiens-crisis-center-clouded-alex-galchenyuks-status-224511470.html

“Ideally, we would want him to play center. Ideally. But I think he realizes the same thing that we realize right now. Playing center is one of the toughest jobs there is. You have to be all over the ice. And you gotta be able to skate,” said Julien on Monday.

“Right now, he’s not at that stage. We have to put him in a position where he’s going to help himself and help the team, and right now the No. 1 center job … he wasn’t ready for it right now. It hurt him in his development and it hurt us as a team. He realizes that playing better away from the puck is what’s going to get him back playing center again. Wingers have less responsibilities. We’re going to take this step by step with him, and then maybe slide him back at center. It’s a decision he can make for us with his play.”

1 minute ago, cdubuya said:

?

They traded a 16th overall for a former 4th overall.

What is your point?

This only proves mine. Where did I say these trades always pan out. Trades can't always pan out as there are two sides. Every trade is speculatory in nature. Often they don't pan out as intended.

Actually no it doesn't prove your point.

High draft position is a truer indicator of skill or potential you said

Numerous times history has shown that to be completely false.  High draft position means nothing, skill hard work and dedication do.

The oilers swung for the fences in Reinhart by trading their 1st and 2nd round pick.  Reinhart is trending in to a long term project but is starting to show the promise he was drafted in the 1st round for but will most likely Cam barker out.  Larsson is actually never going to be a #1 defenceman but more a top pairing guy that the Oilers HAD to go and pick up both due to the luck of McJesus making Hall expendable but also because they traded the pick that ended up being Barzal and a 2nd for a D man who by all accounts is busting, regardless of his high draft status indicating potential.

So please, stop making "potential and draft slotting" your platform.

Tanev will rightfully command a fortune in return based on a number of factors only 1 single aspect of which is in fact his solid play

Just now, mll said:

I know that but he was their default choice.

At the end of the season Bergevin compared Galchenyuk's situation to the one of a chain smoker / alcoholic who has yet to aknowledge that he has a problem.  He thinks that Galchenyuk was just not willing to listen up to now on how to improve his game.  They feel that he now finally got the message and understands that there are things he needs to improve on if he wants to take the next step.

This was Julien - https://sports.yahoo.com/news/canadiens-crisis-center-clouded-alex-galchenyuks-status-224511470.html

“Ideally, we would want him to play center. Ideally. But I think he realizes the same thing that we realize right now. Playing center is one of the toughest jobs there is. You have to be all over the ice. And you gotta be able to skate,” said Julien on Monday.

“Right now, he’s not at that stage. We have to put him in a position where he’s going to help himself and help the team, and right now the No. 1 center job … he wasn’t ready for it right now. It hurt him in his development and it hurt us as a team. He realizes that playing better away from the puck is what’s going to get him back playing center again. Wingers have less responsibilities. We’re going to take this step by step with him, and then maybe slide him back at center. It’s a decision he can make for us with his play.”

interesting, but they still want to trade him? so likely means they don't believe it...oh that russian factor!

3 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Well what if they get a great haul for him?

Wait til you see the return before saying trading him is a bad idea.

Again, let's draft Vilardi and then trade Horvat because we filled his spot with Vilardi.

Don't freak out, wait to see the return for him first.

Archived