The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Vegas takes Luongo?

10 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Or LV takes Luongo, Canucks resign Miller trade him to LV for Luongo, and Luongo comes back home to mentor Markstrom who plays similar to Luongo.

What is stopping LV from signing Miller in the first place then. Do you really think Sbisa is better than any of the players Florida left exposed.

32 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

god, its even ugly if we traded for him just to buy him out:

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/roberto-luongo

I'm a little confused. I tried working the buy out calculator with Lu retiring after 2 more seasons. I don't know if it's more or less than the cap recapture penalty and I can't remember if Florida is on the hook for any of the cap recapture? Also, we'd have to acquire his rights if we were to buy him out. Probably won't cost much but NHL teams don't exactly do eachother favours. Here's hoping Lu gets "injured" in 2 years and doesn't retire. 

1 hour ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I doubt LV takes Lu because there are better, younger long term options, BUT, think about this.  He has a 4.9mil cap hit for the duration of his contract.  For the first few years LV will have to be careful with the cash they spend, and cap aside, Luongo's salary has one more year at 5.9Mil, a year at 2.5mil, a year at 818K and two a 200K.  If he was interested to play it out, he would be a bargain.  I bet we would retire after a season, and that would be bad for our recapture penalty.

If he wants to retire early - it's better the earlier because the cap hit is lower although for longer.  It's more manageable to have 5 years at 1.8M than one year at 8M - that's a lot of cap to clear over one summer. 

Luongo is not going to be picked by Vegas.  They have more options available - for example Marchessault 30 goals last season and a year left at 750K. 

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm a little confused. I tried working the buy out calculator with Lu retiring after 2 more seaso3ns. I don't know if it's more or less than the cap recapture penalty and I can't remember if Florida is on the hook for any of the cap recapture? Also, we'd have to acquire his rights if we were to buy him out. Probably won't cost much but NHL teams don't exactly do eachother favours. Here's hoping Lu gets "injured" in 2 years and doesn't retire. 

if Lu was bought out in 2 years, the cap hit would be 4.75 mil for 3 seasons and then $402,000 for 3 more after that, ending after the 2024/25 season.

If he was bought out now, its 2.87, 4.63, 5.25, 5.25, and then $914,000 for 5 more seasons.

Lu's cap recapture if he simply quits and retires is this. 

Retirement year - cap hit for remaining contract time (reference: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/brace-yourselves-canucks-fans-the-club-is-facing-a-robert-luongo-salary-cap-nightmare)

2017 - 1.7 mil for 5 more years

2018 - 2.13 for 4 more years

2019 - 2.84 for 3 more years

2020 - 4.26 for 2 more years

2021 - 8.52 mil cap hit for one single year

So basically Buttman decided that the 8.52 million will be recovered no matter what, and the longer Lu waits to retire the higher the cap hit will be for whatever was remaining on his deal to 2021. 

His cap hit if he simply plays is 5.3 mil for 5 more seasons.

So the best option if he stays healthy might be to trade for him, buy him out, and sign him to a personal services or management contact to pay him off for the lost NHL wages. 

Or if we have a rocking team in a few years simply take the penalty Bettman doles out if we go over the cap, maybe losing a 1st round pick. 

3 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Nope. It makes no difference to us, we're stuck with the original recapture no matter what. A little gift from Gary. 

The only way we avoid it is if Lu somehow plays it our or ends up on the LTIR. 

It's honestly not that bad anymore.  He's playing next year for sure and is honestly at least 50/50 to do one more year after.  

We will be a terrible team for at least three more years regardless.  Think of it as money put aside that we cannot spend on any stupid contracts.... :P

Archived