The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Isles going to trade 1st round pick + Mikhail Grabovski to Vegas, in exchange for them picking Nikolay Kulemin

1 hour ago, Visp said:

I would be very happy! As Sbisa was our most consitant d-man for a large part of the season, he doesn't deserve this. For me, we should have dangled Edler at Vegas to see if they were willing to trade us a pick in order to pick him! Overpaid and regressing imo. #saveluca

You serious......a 5th overall pick......TO SAVE LUCA SBISA!?!?!??!

1 hour ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

First of all :wacko:

Second, I would actually like to meet you  and watch how you go through your day to day routines. Judging by this post it would be a million times more hilarious than any reality show out there.

Didn't realize I was being funny but thanks (Ok with the tv show idea though I am a part of UBCP/ACTRA and can't work non union!) :) I will say again though, would keep Sbisa over Edler any day and twice on Sunday... 

38 minutes ago, Visp said:

Didn't realize I was being funny but thanks (Ok with the tv show idea though I am a part of UBCP/ACTRA and can't work non union!) :) I will say again though, would keep Sbisa over Edler any day and twice on Sunday... 

Um, no. You said Benning should trade 5th overall to protect Sbisa.

It's amazing how teams are grossly overpaying just to keep their core intact. I could see from the Isles perspective why they'd do this. They had a solid draft last year picking up Barzal and Ho Sang so they have quite a haul of young stars there and losing Kulemin and Grabovski in exchange for cap space is solid move. They'll be able to sign players who can make an impact and Bonino and others are in the market and he has Cup experience along with ability to keep the team in contention for a run

Good deal for NYI

forcing Vegas to pick Kuleman and trading out Grabovski moves out 9m in cap for 2 UFA to be  type players.

they protected 5 defenseman already so my guess is they will trade out one of them for forward help.

also means vegas doesn't get:

de hann, bailey, strome, Nelson, or hickey

18 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

He will never live down Forsberg for Erat 

this might make up for that.... well ok maybe not :lol: but in fairness Erat fell off the map completely, I don't know who would have seen that coming in such a train wreck way. I guess "win now" mode makes GMs do dumb things like a near complete lack of prospects for years..... 

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

lol 

Anyone remember when the league allowed every other expansion team to do these things.  Pepperidge Farms doesn't either

McPhee is making out like a bandit.  Thank Howe Benning told him to shove it in regards to making a deal to save a player

Can't give JB any props for that... there's nothing really worth giving up anything for to protect. 

14 hours ago, tas said:

1998:

Deals

In return for agreeing not to select certain unprotected players, the Predators were granted concessions by other franchises. The trades not involving Nashville draft picks all officially were booked as being for "future considerations":

Post-draft

Several of the players selected by the Predators in the Expansion Draft did not stay with the team long after the draft. Among those moved before the start of the 1998–99 season were the following:

• Mike Sullivan (traded to Phoenix for a pick in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft on June 30, 1998)
  • Uwe Krupp (signed by Detroit on July 7, 1998)
  • Tony Hrkac (traded to Dallas for future considerations on July 9, 1998)
  • Doug Brown (traded to Detroit for Petr Sykora, a pick in the 1999 draft, and future considerations on July 14, 1998)
  • Mike Richter (signed by the New York Rangers on July 15, 1998)
  • Frederic Chabot (claimed off waivers by Montreal on July 20, 1998)
  • Mikhail Shtalenkov (traded along with Jim Dowd to Edmonton for Eric Fichaud, Drake Berehowsky and Greg de Vries on October 1, 1998)
  • Al Iafrate (retired before the season began)

1999:

Deals

In return for agreeing not to select certain unprotected players, the Thrashers were granted concessions by other franchises. The trades were officially booked as being for "future considerations":

Post-draft

Several of the players selected by the Thrashers in the Expansion Draft did not stay with the team long after the draft. In fact, the Thrashers traded two players later in the same day:

Other players who were no longer on the Thrashers' roster at the start of the 1999–2000 season include the following:

• Phil Crowe (traded to Nashville for future considerations on June 26, 1999)
  • Jamie Pushor (traded to Dallas for Jason Botterill and cash and 7th round draft pick on July 15, 1999)
  • Terry Yake (claimed off waivers by St. Louis on September 30, 1999)
  • Alexei Yegorov (released before the season began)
  • Mark Tinordi (retired before the season began)

2000:

Deals

In return for agreeing not to select certain unprotected players, the Blue Jackets and Wild were granted concessions by other franchises. The trades not involving Blue Jacket or Wild draft picks were booked as being for "future considerations":

Columbus

Minnesota

• San Jose traded Andy Sutton, a seventh-round pick (Peter Bartoš) in the 2000 Entry Draft and a third-round pick (later traded to Columbus - (Aaron Johnson)) in the 2001 Entry Draft to Minnesota on June 11, 2000, for an eighth-round pick in the 2000 Entry Draft after the Wild agreed not to select Evgeni Nabokov.

Post-draft

Several of the players selected by the Blue Jackets and Wild in the Expansion Draft did not stay with the teams long after the draft. In fact, several players were traded later in the same day:

Columbus

• Turner Stevenson (traded to New Jersey to complete an earlier transaction)

Minnesota

Other players who were no longer on the rosters of the teams which drafted them for the 1999–2000 season include the following:

Columbus

• Dallas Drake (signed by St. Louis on July 1, 2000)
  • Mathieu Schneider (signed by Los Angeles on August 13, 2000)
  • Dwayne Roloson (signed with AHL's Worcester IceCats rather than joining Columbus)

Minnesota

• Jeff Odgers (claimed off waivers by Atlanta on September 29, 2000)

Man... the quality of players these expansion teams had was brutal compared to the riches Vegas is getting.

14 hours ago, mll said:

It's not that easy re Tavares.  He is a UFA in a year and says he will wait before signing an extension.  He wants to win and for him to re-sign will depend a lot on the moves NYI makes now.  Clearing cap space allows them to pursue some more impactful players now.  

Signing a big UFA isn't the answer either. The goal is to build a winning team not to please you're one player at the cost of handcuffing your team. This is Tavares 9th season in the NHL, (10 years since being drafted) they've only made the playoffs 3 times since, and have a total of 8 playoff wins. 

Their trading hasn't been great, trading moulson + 1st + 2nd for 47 games in Vanek comes to mind

Watching them let a 26 year okposo walk for nothing only to sign a 30 year old ladd long term is a massive fail, all to save 500k a year?

There drafting has to be one of the worst in the NHL, despite being high drafting positions.

Dal Colle 5th overall

Reinhart 4th overall

Strome 5th overall

Niederreiter 5th overall

There's no one that they should be concerned too much about loosing because they are a bad team. Every team is going to lose a player, It's not like them losing a player is going to set them back in that process. 

I honestly feel bad for Tavares, if I was him i wouldn't want to play with a such a gong show of an organization, I'd be asking for a trade.

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Signing a big UFA isn't the answer either. The goal is to build a winning team not to please you're one player at the cost of handcuffing your team. This is Tavares 9th season in the NHL, (10 years since being drafted) they've only made the playoffs 3 times since, and have a total of 8 playoff wins. 

Their trading hasn't been great, trading moulson + 1st + 2nd for 47 games in Vanek comes to mind

Watching them let a 26 year okposo walk for nothing only to sign a 30 year old ladd long term is a massive fail, all to save 500k a year?

There drafting has to be one of the worst in the NHL, despite being high drafting positions.

Dal Colle 5th overall

Reinhart 4th overall

Strome 5th overall

Niederreiter 5th overall

There's no one that they should be concerned too much about loosing because they are a bad team. Every team is going to lose a player, It's not like them losing a player is going to set them back in that process. 

I honestly feel bad for Tavares, if I was him i wouldn't want to play with a such a gong show of an organization, I'd be asking for a trade.

You're bang on my friend.

They should hire Dean Lombardi.

Also keep in mind Dal Colle isn't looking like. a great pick, Reinhart looks like a bust and Niederreiter is thriving on another team. 

On 6/19/2017 at 7:59 PM, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

What would you guys do if JB traded the fifth pick to LV in exchange for them not picking Sbisa 

I'm a big Benning fan. If he did that I'd tear that goddamn bastard a new one. That's a career ending move if he did that.

Archived