-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

Canucks 2019-20

Captain:  Bo Horvat

Alternate #1:  Brock Boeser

Alternate #2:  Elias Pettersson

Alternate #3:  Rasmus Dahlin  :P

One can dream B)

If I was a billionaire. Say I had 10 billion dollars. I would bet someone my billion vs their $50 that Pettersson will be our future captain.  Unfortunately I make less then 50k a year and am not a billionaire lol  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Elias is going to be a great leader one day.  I love how he can show emotion. He tries hard and loves his teammates. His teammates love him too. That's a guy you want to win for!

Benning and TL said as much in the post-draft interviews, that it was his personality that really impressed them.  No doubt they continue to draft good character kids like this, plus ones like Juolevi and Brisebois on D who have Tanev-like calm and poise.

Just now, Rush17 said:

If I was a billionaire. Say I had 10 billion dollars. I would bet someone my billion vs their $50 that Pettersson will be our future captain.  Unfortunately I make less then 50k a year and am not a billionaire lol  

I'm thinking Bo is the new captain. The effect he has on the team (especially when he was out) is quantifiable. He's had the Sedins to help guide him through the first four years, as well as Dorsett, and seemingly checks every box that a captain should.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking Bo is the new captain. The effect he has on the team (especially when he was out) is quantifiable. He's had the Sedins to help guide him through the first four years, as well as Dorsett, and seemingly checks every box that a captain should.

That is the prevailing thought among most fans and the media.  I don't see it happening.  He might be a great captain and if he does become the captain i will support him.  If he does it will be once Elias has had a chance to earn the respect of the locker room. They won't just hand it to Bo because he's older and more established.  Elias has a far better pedigree and is smashing records in Sweden.  Lets put this into perspective.

The Sedin's just retired as the best Canucks of all time:

sweden top scoring.png

The Sedin's were just honoured and become legends when in their U20 season they got 47 and 42 points respectively in the SHL in 50 games. Elias Pettersson flew by: Nicklas Backstrom, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, William Nylander, Markus Naslund (for 2 seasons), Thomas Gradin, and Peter Forsberg in points per game.  You have to consider this when looking at a future captain.  His stat comparable is more of the level of the legendary Peter Forsberg then that of the Sedins or Naslund.  

Pettersson sitting at 1.27 PPG per season

Naslund sitting between 1-1.03 PPG per season

H. Sedin sitting between 0.94 PPG per season

D. Sedin sitting between 0.84 PPG per season

The most recent comparable is William Nylander who he crushed. (smaller sample size for Nylander).

To me. Saying Bo Horvat is the defacto #1 Captain option for this team... when you have this kid dominating the top tier Swedish league is just unfair.  Just because Bo is older and got to the NHL quicker doesn't mean he should be the captain. In fact I would argue he is the wrong personality type to be the captain of this team. He is far to emotional for that role.  If you want a Sedin like leader Pettersson is your guy.  He is even-keeled and will gain the respect of the room very quickly with his skill.  The total ignorance of this kids upside is insanity.  That's like awarding Ryan Kesler the captaincy when you have Henrik Sedin still in Europe. you give it to him because he's been here longer.  totally disagree with that argument.  Elias' teammates love him and would do absolutely anything for him.  He is a leader who you want to play for and he produces an elite level.  I think it's only fair to give Elias, Juolevi, and some of the other prospects an opportunity before naming Horvat at 23 the next captain of this team.

Edited by Rush17

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

That is the prevailing thought among most fans and the media.  I don't see it happening.  He might be a great captain and if he does become the captain i will support him.  If he does it will be once Elias has had a chance to earn the respect of the locker room. They won't just hand it to Bo because he's older and more established.  Elias has a far better pedigree and is smashing records in Sweden.  Lets put this into perspective.

sweden top scoring.png

The captain isn't always the biggest points getter on the team. Luongo certainly wasn't. I don't think that just because Petterson is smashing records set by two of the last three Canucks captains, and is Swedish, that he'll be a slam dunk at all.

In fact, I can see them purposely not thrusting it on Petterson, so that he can concentrate on scoring and smashing new records, without the added heat of being captain.

The Canucks are moving towards a faster, more physical style of game, and no one epitomizes that better than Bo.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Whoever it will be, it'll be.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Captaincy isn't about points, not even as the main factor.

Agreed.  He is even-keeled and will gain the respect in the locker room for his play, competitiveness, and his love of his teammates. Typically captains are people who lead by example and can produce at a high level.  Pettersson is exactly that.  

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The captain isn't always the biggest points getter on the team. Luongo certainly wasn't. I don't think that just because Petterson is smashing records set by two of the last three Canucks captains, and is Swedish, that he'll be a slam dunk at all.

In fact, I can see them purposely not thrusting it on Petterson, so that he can concentrate on scoring and smashing new records, without the added heat of being captain.

The Canucks are moving towards a faster, more physical style of game, and no one epitomizes that better than Bo.

Perhaps he wants the opportunity to become the captain?  Is it fair to him to give it to the first child when he hasn't even had an nhl shift? if this is about a future core you award the C when the whole core is there and ready to contend.  You don't know who your locker room leader is until you have that group together. Personally, Horvat's desire for the C is honestly distasteful to me. He wants it so bad it puts a sour taste in my mouth.  We can agree to disagree but this non-stop Horvat for C stuff is driving me batty.  Let us just get some of these kids up here before handing the keys to the mansion to the first born child.  You don't need all your players being fast and physical. you need skill too. I get your point tho but Bo can fill in the Kesler hole if he develops his defensive game.  Bo hasn't worn the A all season.. to me that's because the organization doesn't want it to be a "given" that he's expected to be the C.  Once we drafted Elias Pettersson he hasn't had an A on his jersey.  Green is grooming him for more of a shutdown role.  All the signs are there for me.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have to agree with you, points don't make a captain, character does. We need someone that will put the team above all else and we need that leadership now, not wait and see if Petterson can be it. I heard on the broadcast last night that it would be wise for the Canucks to wait a year to see who steps up, I disagree with that... I think they need the new voice to start the season and build that captain team bond

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

sweden top scoring.png

I agree that Pettersson is the more offensively gifted player between the two, but captaincy is more than who scores the most points (see Toews vs. Kane, Linden vs. Bure, etc).  While Pettersson is showing more passion via the posted interview, hence, possibly appearing to possess more leadership material than previously shown, a captain is also more than the grab-you-by-the-scruff-of-your-neck, rah-rah and pom-pom's (see Kesler vs. Sedin).  As mentioned previously, Bo has been mentored by the Sedins and other veterans previously, and has been commended by former junior coaches and teammates.  Bo would, presently, be the most logical choice.

17 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

sweden top scoring.png

The Sedin's were just honoured and become legends when in their U20 season they got 47 and 42 points respectively in the SHL in 50 games. Elias Pettersson flew by: Nicklas Backstrom, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, William Nylander, Markus Naslund (for 2 seasons), Thomas Gradin, and Peter Forsberg in points per game.  You have to consider this when looking at a future captain.  His stat comparable is more of the level of the legendary Peter Forsberg then that of the Sedins or Naslund.  

Pettersson sitting at 1.27 PPG per season

Naslund sitting between 1-1.03 PPG per season

H. Sedin sitting between 0.94 PPG per season

D. Sedin sitting between 0.84 PPG per season

The most recent comparable is William Nylander who he crushed. (smaller sample size for Nylander).

To me. Saying Bo Horvat is the defacto #1 Captain option for this team... when you have this kid dominating the top tier Swedish league is just unfair.  Just because Bo is older and got to the NHL quicker doesn't mean he should be the captain. In fact I would argue he is the wrong personality type to be the captain of this team. He is far to emotional for that role.  If you want a Sedin like leader Pettersson is your guy.  He is even-keeled and will gain the respect of the room very quickly with his skill.  The total ignorance of this kids upside is insanity.  That's like awarding Ryan Kesler the captaincy when you have Henrik Sedin still in Europe. you give it to him because he's been here longer.  totally disagree with that argument.  Elias' teammates love him and would do absolutely anything for him.  He is a leader who you want to play for and he produces an elite level.  I think it's only fair to give Elias, Juolevi, and some of the other prospects an opportunity before naming Horvat at 23 the next captain of this team.

Petterson would be at least 7 years away form even remotely being considered for a letter.  This line of discussion is beyond ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Where are you getting this from Rush?  Bo was drafted top 10 not because they expected a top line center, they saw character and leadership in the guy.  Everything we have seen from Pettersson has been in a different league. I think they should bring the kid here and let him develop sheltered away from the spotlight involved with being captain with the hopes he turns out to what we all want him to be.  Points arent everything....Dustin Brown has the C in LA and look at who plays there and how many cups they got.

Edited by Darius71
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Where are you getting this from Rush?  Bo was drafted top 10 not because they expected a top line center, they saw character and leadership in the guy.  Everything we have seen from Pettersson has been in a different league. I think they should bring the kid here and let him develop sheltered away from the spotlight involved with being captain with the hopes he turns out to what we all want him to be.  Points arent everything....Dustin Brown has the C in LA and look at who plays there and how many cups they got.

Brown had his 'C' stripped a few seasons ago in a very humiliating and public fashion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Linden was made team captain at age 20 or 21 before Bure arrived....... just saying.  B)

• Upvote 1

I understand Bo has intangibles. But if this franchise wants to keep the culture of this team. I think it's important to have a captain who has those values instilled in them.  Bo is an emotional leader for this squad.  Emotional leaders can be good for some things but as a team captain, you usually want a more even-keeled person. Bo is used to winning and gets upset when we are losing. You need a captain who can keep his head in straight and not get upset.  Use that inner frustration to create change and help your teammates. Bo lost his steam this and slapped a puck off the boards instead of trying to help his teammates improve.  When he wants to help the team he goes inwards and tries to do it all himself.  You need a leader who can help teammates stay positive, even-keeled, and provide a consistent image to their teammates.  As a leader showing your frustrations on losing team results in team dysfunction.  The twins were perfect for this stage in the rebuild and it pushed them to the brink.  You need someone who can provide those factors and contribute offensively enough to gain the respect of your teammates.  I believe Elias is the right fit because he fits the culture we are trying to build on.  He is an elite talent and he cares deeply about his teammates.  He is a quiet leader who sets a good example and works with his teammates. you can't have tunnel vision and try to make it all better yourself as a captain on a successful nhl franchise. 

Bo Horvat to me is too young for that role on this team. perhaps he grows into it but it won't be next season.  Spreading the load on several veterans will make it easier on him, the young kids coming up, and the organization.  He simply isn't ready.

9 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

Linden was made team captain at age 20 or 21 before Bure arrived....... just saying.  B)

Bo Horvat isn't Trevor Linden.  Linden was more humble, a better producer, a great supporter of teammates, and a clutch performer.  

He wants to be the Captain but he's simply not ready. The fact he wants it so bad upsets me.

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Perhaps he wants the opportunity to become the captain?

That's something a player earns. I highly doubt that the organization would wait to see how Petterson feels about being captain before deciding who to give it to.

Is it fair to him to give it to the first child when he hasn't even had an nhl shift?

It makes sense to give it to a player with actual NHL experience versus someone who could potentially be a great NHLer down the road.

if this is about a future core you award the C when the whole core is there and ready to contend.

It's not about the future. as much as it is about giving the team a focal point outside of the coach. Someone who makes decisions on behalf of the team, and can rally everyone.

You don't know who your locker room leader is until you have that group together.

Team structure can change rapidly, year to year, so waiting until the next core is complete, is counterproductive.

Personally, Horvat's desire for the C is honestly distasteful to me. He wants it so bad it puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Being passionate about the team and playing his ass off every night? Going to the dirty areas and busting his hump? If Horvat acted entitled and complained about not being given a letter, I'd consider it distasteful. Bo's a Canuck, through and through.

We can agree to disagree but this non-stop Horvat for C stuff is driving me batty.  Let us just get some of these kids up here before handing the keys to the mansion to the first born child.  You don't need all your players being fast and physical. you need skill too. I get your point tho but Bo can fill in the Kesler hole if he develops his defensive game.  Bo hasn't worn the A all season.. to me that's because the organization doesn't want it to be a "given" that he's expected to be the C.  Once we drafted Elias Pettersson he hasn't had an A on his jersey.  Green is grooming him for more of a shutdown role.  All the signs are there for me.

We'll have to see then.

55 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

lol if you had 10 billion, you can buy the Canucks and force the team to name Pettersson as the captain.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Bo Horvat isn't Trevor Linden.  Linden was more humble, a better producer, a great supporter of teammates, and a clutch performer.  

He wants to be the Captain but he's simply not ready. The fact he wants it so bad upsets me.

To be honest, it is the media (ie, Team 1040) and us fans who WANT him to be the next captain; I don't recall seeing anything posted where he explicitly stated his desire to be Captain.  The only times I've seen where he's addressed the captaincy are when the media (post-game Sportsnet reporters/coverage) continuously grill him about it and he has to answer to it.  Respectfully, I would be interested in seeing his "wanting it so bad".

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Brown had his 'C' stripped a few seasons ago in a very humiliating and public fashion.

fair enough...my gaffe for not knowing they stripped him of the C (i hate the puke btw) ... Brown had the C when they won their cups and LA had higher point producers on the team.

Aside from what Fanuck said:

In the end im not sure why this conversation is taking place.  Implying Pettersson should be the C is nuts at this point - in my opinion.  Talk about piling pressure on a prospect that has done nothing in the NHL yet.  We are making assumptions of how he will behave in an NHL dressing room before he has even got here.  Lets let him develop without piling all these lofty expectations on the kid.  IM sure he will be fine, but why complicate matters.

Im not sure where Rush is getting the impression that Bo is not even keeled and is too emotional.  He doesnt like to lose and he has the ability to push back, he was also a great leader in Junior.

Edited by Darius71