The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, dura_mater said:

I have to agree with Khay on this one.  Our d and goaltending are too weak for us to be a playoff team next year.

Strongly disagree.  The Sedins retiring makes us a worse team.  But that's okay, we need some more high end talent at the draft next year.

The twins retiring makes the team a compete unknown, neither good or bad atm. 

The twins in’s game was so well know that it made things predictable and that stagnated our offence. 

I do agree that our current defence is too weak and that needs o be addressed. This is a great draft to ad picks.  It may be counter intuitive, but I purpose that we trade our best d man prior to the draft.  Then go into th FA period and add John Carlson to replace Tanev.  We get a lot tougher physically and although Tanev is a defensive wizard, he has no push back. Carlson is a shut down d and allows us to pair our young guys like OJ, Pouliot and Dahlin (fingers crossed) with guys that can take the physical play. 

It would solidify the defence and give the team a decent frame work to allow a younger netmjnder to emerge without being damaged. And we could get a mid to late first for Tanev picking up Wilde or Miller. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Honestly EP is living proof that you don't need to tank to create a Solid team. I mean he was picked 5th overall, and might have even slipped down to 7th  (Vegas really wanted their player), and now in hindsight is the best pick of the 2017 draft. Of course Hischier and Patrick will have some words to say on the matter, but in a re-draft, EP doesn't get past 2nd OA. Him, Boeser, Juolevi Horvat, Demko, Gaudette, Tryamkin, Lind, Gadjovich, Goldobin, Virtanen, and Dahlen are not lottery picks, and we seem to have a very strong core developping. This is thanks to our scouting department, which has been miles ahead of the Gillis era scouting team, and honestly, we are in for a crazy treat the next 15+ years.

Back to the topic that is EP, i am astonished at the season he has had, and i can't wait to see him take a roster spot and not look back. For me, there is absolutely no doubt he finishes the year as our 1C. Absolutely no doubt. I completely understand if some people don't agree, or would rather stay cautiously optimistic for the time being, but I just have one of those feelings. He is the next big Canuck swede, and I really hope he has what it takes to get that SCF game 7 monkey off our back. 

The sky is the limit for EP.

I am so disappointed with the level of professionalism in teams tanking on purpose. How did Montreal fall off a cliff after the trade deadline? I would love to see 1 off 2 things.

1 100% draft lottery with no odds favoring any team missing the play-offs  or

2 The draft order is selected at the trade deadline or 55 game mark. -Then teams that really are not that good would get a higher pick. And teams losing on purpose would have no reward.

22 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Boston and Toronto are the only teams in the playoffs with 3 thirty goal scorers...so count again on the Jets' totals...

If EP comes in and gets 30 goals then he will also get about 40 assists and that will give us 3 seventy point players, one 45 goal scorer and quite possibly 3 thirty goal scorers...Bo will score 30 one year at least...book that...!

That makes us a playoff team next year...which is my prediction...we were a playoff team in Dec. last year and we won games like a playoff team to end this year...buy your tickets now...

Look, first 70 points as a rookie for EP is very optimistic. Possible, but optimistic. Laine did not do it. Matthews was close, but did not get there. Eichel has not done it yet. Boeser was spectacular? And was still not on track? Even McDavid proved that the truly spectacular still need things to go their way; he got injured & did not get 70 either.

Also, I am presuming you feel it will be Pettersson, Boeser & Bo that hit 70 points next year? 3 guys all in one year, particularly EP's rookie year is even more optimistic.  

That may happen once, twice in these guys careers?  More likely when each is closer to their prime.  And we have some bonafide D who can move, handle, shoot and share the puck at a rate close to Boeser & Pettersson. It wont just be these guys performance that allows such a performance level.

Full marks for your glass 1/2 full outlook though...

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yes, it depends WHICH veterans of course, but it will/should effectively be the younger (mid 20s) players running the team next year.  Hopefully with the Sedins gone Loui will pick up his game again, although there's rumour he may be moved post-July 1st.  No matter what, it will be an exciting year -- one that we've all been looking forward to for several years.

Is there really a rumour that Eriksson might be traded this summer?

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

I am so disappointed with the level of professionalism in teams tanking on purpose. How did Montreal fall off a cliff after the trade deadline? I would love to see 1 off 2 things.

2 The draft order is selected at the trade deadline or 55 game mark. -Then teams that really are not that good would get a higher pick. And teams losing on purpose would have no reward.

I think a better way would be to have the last 6 teams randomly selected for spots 1-6, the next 5 for spots 7-11, and the other 4 for spots 12-15.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 867-five-309 said:

I think a better way would be to have the last 6 teams randomly selected for spots 1-6, the next 5 for spots 7-11, and the other 4 for spots 12-15.

Yeh I agree. But something has to give. But 1 -7 or 9 isn't separated by much. You still would have tanking to get to the bottom 6. Has to be all non play-off teams and then you will see all teams icing their best teams. I watched Montreal and Detroit last week. One power play had their 7th and 8th defenseman out.

3 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Yeh I agree. But something has to give. But 1 -7 or 9 isn't separated by much. You still would have tanking to get to the bottom 6. Has to be all non play-off teams and then you will see all teams icing their best teams. I watched Montreal and Detroit last week. One power play had their 7th and 8th defenseman out.

I agree with your sentiment but the flip side of that is you will get some teams that honestly just plain suck and get buried forever due to bad draft luck. Imagine a horrible team (us lol) drafting 12, 23,10, and 15, the last four years.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The comment was something like "don't be surprised if he's moved this summer" from the HW.  After July 1st his real cost is only $3.5mil/year for the final 4.

Could be good for a team that needs to reach the cap floor. Especially if they have a penny pinching owner. Maybe after a certain high profile defensmen and an underperforming winger are moved...he could become desirable.

I'm looking at you Ottawa!!

1 minute ago, A.V.'s slurp said:

Could be good for a team that needs to reach the cap floor. Especially if they have a penny pinching owner. Maybe after a certain high profile defensmen and an underperforming winger are moved...he could become desirable.

I'm looking at you Ottawa!!

Yes, thoughts were actually Montreal, as they were in on him when he signed here.  Former coach likely has something to do with it as well.

29 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The comment was something like "don't be surprised if he's moved this summer" from the HW.  After July 1st his real cost is only $3.5mil/year for the final 4.

I still see us being stuck with him for at least one more year, but most likely 2 more years. We'd have to give up something decently valuable to have another team help us out with 4 years remaining. 

That signing is one of the few black marks on Benning's resume. 

40 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Just saw this; so apparently Pettersson rides a unicycle and juggles before games to warm up:

unicycle.png

I guess it makes sense when you see all the circus dangles on the ice :lol:

@ForzaTikare have you heard anything about this?

This is my new favourite photo

If he becomes a star your gonna see a bunch of kids in Sweden and Canada start to do this.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Just saw this; so apparently Pettersson rides a unicycle and juggles before games to warm up:

unicycle.png

I guess it makes sense when you see all the circus dangles on the ice :lol:

@ForzaTikare have you heard anything about this?

Wtf.. That proves the robot theory, havent heard that... Insane balance.. That makes sense though! 

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cory40 said:

I was actually talking with a buddy about the lottery. We thought that lottery %/draft position for teams that miss playoffs should be and average of point totals from the most recent season and previous two (total of 3). Which cause a team like edmonton to have a lower chance even though they finished low same with Chicago and teams like Van, Arizona, Buffalo actually getting better odds because they are actually bad teams. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/9/2018 at 5:30 AM, Canadian Clay said:

Is Elias Pettersson even real? Like we couldn’t have actually gotten a player like this, right????? Bettman has to be playing a trick on us or something. I mean, how else can you explain it????

19 yrs old and he’s already writing his name in history books. Is this real life??

FA0955C5-F4DF-4DDC-8ECC-D159599F3C74.jpeg

Hey,

Wake up, it was just a dream.