The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Game starts 8:15 PM.   Royal versus the usual Jyske Bank Boxen.    Line ups are not yet posted at Royal but he was in pre-game off-ice.   They have three extra bodies potentially today.

Hornqvist and Arvidsson have been confirmed to play.  Forsberg and Ekholm will only arrive Monday.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Elias will be even better on the smaller ice where his exceptional hockey IQ will even stand out more.  The game happens quicker here, so Elias (who processes the game faster than anyone not named Wayne) will be even quicker to pucks.  He will be a super star from day one with the Canucks.  I just am super thankful he shows incredible mental toughness too, unlike Ehlers and Nylander.  Those two are sickening how soft they play. 

Annnnnd it's back on the meds for you Alfie-boy.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Game starts 8:15 PM.   Royal versus the usual Jyske Bank Boxen.    Line ups are not yet posted at Royal but he was in pre-game off-ice.   They have three extra bodies potentially today.

Is this an old game then ? Says new

Screenshot_20180513-104024_Fibe TV.jpg

16 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Annnnnd it's back on the meds for you Alfie-boy.

I would try very hard not to say such things openly....but I WAS thinking something similar. ;) Alf, I hope your assessment of things is the way it goes, but I tend to think that the bigger ice surface given EP's current physical stature would be more friendly to his game. The condensed space of a smaller rink will ensure more contact with bigger stronger bodies. 5 on 5 I predict some growing pains, lots of "falling down", getting rag dolled, etc...I doubt it will discourage the kid much, but I don't think it will be pretty at times for him. On the PP, I expect some amazing things. If we only had an elite power play QB on the back end. 

But until he takes the ice in a Nucks jersey, all of us are throwing darts. :)

I simply cannot wait for training camp.

EP has played 4 games ....in the first 2 he wasn't deployed very well....in the 3rd game he created/scored half or Sweden's 4 goals...then he got sick for a game...but it takes more than one day to recover from the flu...but he played his 4th game anyway, no doubt still sickly

EP could have had 2 goals and 2 assists with any kind of luck at all in the 4th game...

You people have to start using your eyes...the AHL in not in the cards for him...nor should it be...

He will be contending for the Calder...

Just watch....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Is this an old game then ? Says new

Screenshot_20180513-104024_Fibe TV.jpg

Nope, same game but TSN is a Canadian network and I think that time must be for people in Canada and in Calgary or something as it is a night game here.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I would try very hard not to say such things openly....but I WAS thinking something similar. ;) Alf, I hope your assessment of things is the way it goes, but I tend to think that the bigger ice surface given EP's current physical stature would be more friendly to his game. The condensed space of a smaller rink will ensure more contact with bigger stronger bodies. 5 on 5 I predict some growing pains, lots of "falling down", getting rag dolled, etc...I doubt it will discourage the kid much, but I don't think it will be pretty at times for him. On the PP, I expect some amazing things. If we only had an elite power play QB on the back end. 

But until he takes the ice in a Nucks jersey, all of us are throwing darts. :)

I simply cannot wait for training camp.

For what it's worth, he played on a small rink in Buffalo and made people look silly (the rest of the world's best young players) even when playing with the flu over Christmas so not sure smaller ice will be an issue.   I think his biggest hold back will be linemates.   IF he is in NHL next year, he will be with Canucks.   Canucks have maybe three other players in entire organization who remotely think offense the way this kid does and I see a lot of challenge in that for him having immediate success.   He cannot be put onto a wing with a Crosby or center a line with a Laine on it - in all likelihood.   

Lots of growing pains but I don't think he will get rag dolled by anyone - I think he will be very much a Patrick Kane elusive type who simply slides in and out of traffic. 

Edited by Rob_Zepp
can't spel propurly
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ForzaTikare said:

EP will take Nyquists spot with Hörnqvist & Backlund as Nyquist is out sick today

Yup, looks like starting on second line tonight.   Looked a lot fresher in warm up so hopefully most of the flu symptoms behind him as this will be a pretty tough game for his team.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For what it's worth, he played on a small rink in Buffalo and make people look silly (the rest of the world's best players)even when playing with the flu over Christmas so not sure smaller ice will be an issue.   I think his biggest hold back will be linemates.   IF he is in NHL next year, he will be with Canucks.   Canucks have maybe three other players in entire organization who remotely think offense the way this kid does and I see a lot of challenge in that for him having immediate success.   He cannot be put onto a wing with a Crosby or center a line with a Laine on it - in all likelihood.   

Lots of growing pains but I don't think he will get rag dolled by anyone - I think he will be very much a Patrick Kane elusive type who simply slides in and out of traffic. 

I watched him very closely at the World Juniors in Buffalo for the very reason I wanted to see him on the smaller rink. There were times where he struggled visibly along the boards against his age group peers. He got knocked off his feet a lot and I remember commenting on it....wasn't received very well in these parts suprisingly. None of us know how the flu my have affected him, so I dismissed that as a factor in his play. Assuming he makes the Canucks next year he going against the strongest group of men he has ever played against on that same small ice. I've said it repeatedly, I think that in time he will GREAT....but I really feel the need to caution folks that seem certain he is going to come into the league and rip it up. If he does from the get go, I'll gladly eat these words. My mindset is that I'm going to enjoy his journey...the triumphs and the speed bumps.

It could be that some of my cautionary tone stems from the fact I've been a fan of this team for close to 40 years now....and it is a necessary defensive mechanism. So much pain. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I watched him very closely at the World Juniors in Buffalo for the very reason I wanted to see him on the smaller rink. There were times where he struggled visibly along the boards against his age group peers. He got knocked off his feet a lot and I remember commenting on it....wasn't received very well in these parts suprisingly. None of us know how the flu my have affected him, so I dismissed that as a factor in his play. Assuming he makes the Canucks next year he going against the strongest group of men he has ever played against on that same small ice. I've said it repeatedly, I think that in time he will GREAT....but I really feel the need to caution folks that seem certain he is going to come into the league and rip it up. If he does from the get go, I'll gladly eat these words. My mindset is that I'm going to enjoy his journey...the triumphs and the speed bumps.

It could be that some of my cautionary tone stems from the fact I've been a fan of this team for close to 40 years now....and it is a necessary defensive mechanism. So much pain. 

I thought he progressed well at WJC.   I noticed he learned to use the boards differently by, say, the third game than the first.   I thought having him with Nylander was a huge mistake as that guy only knew dump/chase and that didn't suit EP's game.   I agree with you he was knocked down a fair bit the first few games - not sure why it wasn't received well as it was factual.   

I think he will do fine in NHL.   My over/under for him would be 40 points if he does make NHL which would be outstanding for a rookie.   I think the true player he is will become far more apparent at 22-23 or so.