The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

57 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

There's a TSN article about the calder race basically stating Tkachuk should be leading.  This guy brought up a bunch of obscure stats to prove his point.  These reporters really need to start watching games, cause as good a Tkachuk is, he definitely does not have the dazzle EP has.  Also it fails to mention the most underappreciated stat of them all, chance generation.  I really think this should be the true stat we look at in terms of offensive ability.  Cause you can take 100 shots from the red line and not score, but you can also set up open one timers for your teammates 10 times and they should score 9 out of 10 times.  One's a chance, one isn't.

I replied to the writer basically telling him, that Tkachuk's usage basically stems from the fact his #1 linemate is mark stone, who is very good defensively and good offensively as well helping him with points. Nothing to do with Tkachuk as a two-way player.

49 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson can dazzle us until the cows come home, but if he doesn't start racking up the points, he won't win the Calder. I notice he's a very unselfish player, always looking to who he can pass to, to set up a great play, but his line mates don't often finish. I wish he would shoot more.     

The thing is that EP40 started this season so brilliantly that the expectation is unbelievably high. People think just because he doesn’t do insane goals every night he is not first in line for the Calder. Just look what he does defensively, how can you not just be awed by his game. But hockey journalists from Canada of course want to make a case for Tkachuk, even though he is not on the same level as EP. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson can dazzle us until the cows come home, but if he doesn't start racking up the points, he won't win the Calder. I notice he's a very unselfish player, always looking to who he can pass to, to set up a great play, but his line mates don't often finish. I wish he would shoot more.     

He will be fine. Nothing to worry about if you look at the plays he has been making and the lack of finish with his line mates. and the travel. The schedule gets a lot easier from here on in! 

3 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

There's a TSN article about the calder race basically stating Tkachuk should be leading.  This guy brought up a bunch of obscure stats to prove his point.  These reporters really need to start watching games, cause as good a Tkachuk is, he definitely does not have the dazzle EP has.  Also it fails to mention the most underappreciated stat of them all, chance generation.  I really think this should be the true stat we look at in terms of offensive ability.  Cause you can take 100 shots from the red line and not score, but you can also set up open one timers for your teammates 10 times and they should score 9 out of 10 times.  One's a chance, one isn't.

To be honest, I don't care if EP wins Calder or not. Heck, McDavid is a perennial MVP and yet, he didn't win Calder. Bure won it but we didn't get no cup.

All that I care about is EP continues his progression and reach his maximum potential and help us get the cup.

First (part time) season with Timra 3G 6A in 25GP. Second season, 19G 22A in 43GP. 24G 32A in 44 GP with Växjö. And now PPG pace at the NHL level.

EP's development trajectory is insanely crazy. This kid develops various aspects of his game just in one summer's training. I can swear, he wasn't as fast as he is now when I saw him last season. His shot apparently was also not as good as it was now. 

Wait until he gets stronger, build more strength in his legs. What we are seeing may just be the tip of an iceberg.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

^ this is true. The Calder is a nice acknowledgment, but it doesn't always go to the best player. Injuries happen, and in the case of Barzal, sometimes the rookie gets to play with a future HoFer. That certainly helps pad the stats. As long as Pettersson's improving, then we can wait for the big prize. Everyone knows how impressive and amazing he is. He will be just fine.

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

^ this is true. The Calder is a nice acknowledgment, but it doesn't always go to the best player. Injuries happen, and in the case of Barzal, sometimes the rookie gets to play with a future HoFer. That certainly helps pad the stats. As long as Pettersson's improving, then we can wait for the big prize. Everyone knows how impressive and amazing he is. He will be just fine.

Not to mention, Ekblad and Huberdeau both won the Calder. Glad to know Florida's not 3rd last in the East as a result. Oh snap!

10 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Calder usually comes down to the most points win. Reporters are always looking at other angles of stories to get their own stories out there.

6 hours ago, khay said:

To be honest, I don't care if EP wins Calder or not. Heck, McDavid is a perennial MVP and yet, he didn't win Calder. Bure won it but we didn't get no cup.

All that I care about is EP continues his progression and reach his maximum potential and help us get the cup.

First (part time) season with Timra 3G 6A in 25GP. Second season, 19G 22A in 43GP. 24G 32A in 44 GP with Växjö. And now PPG pace at the NHL level.

EP's development trajectory is insanely crazy. This kid develops various aspects of his game just in one summer's training. I can swear, he wasn't as fast as he is now when I saw him last season. His shot apparently was also not as good as it was now. 

Wait until he gets stronger, build more strength in his legs. What we are seeing may just be the tip of an iceberg.

I'm in that boat myself and i'm sure EP is as well :)

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Dare to dream..... Quinn, Elias, Bo, Brock, Virt and Goldy two to three years from now on this team = AWESOME!!

If we are dreaming, might as well be Quinn, Elias, Bo, Brock, Virt, and Jack one to two years from now on this team = CUP!

• Cheers 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, Westcoasting said:

Calder usually comes down to the most points win. Reporters are always looking at other angles of stories to get their own stories out there.

Too true! And if you watch the highlight reels Elias would probably have to go stone cold to lose it! I myself figure he is about to get hot again! Finally he has time to practice and that he has been doing! So if Brady and Elias tie how does Elias lose it? He can't. And Brady will go through his cold spell also. PPG Elias is once again on top! 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Would be Nice to see EP make a push in this.. Swedish player of the year "guldpucken" is as it Seems now quite a 3-horse-race between Bäckström, Lindholm and Landeskog

Screenshot_20181207-105701.png

Those top 3 have the benefit of playing on stacked lines. Good to see Pettersson not far behind while playing with average players so far.

• Like 2