The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Not sure what SEAL number's really mean but we have EP leading the way and LInd also made the list....I do believe that deserves a ...

WOW....

(copied from above)

Best D+1 players:

Elias Pettersson
Kristian Vesalainen
Miro Heiskanen
Lucas Elvenes
Aleksi Heponiemi
Robert Thomas
Morgan Frost
Owen Tippett
Marcus Davidsson
Ryan Poehling
Jerry Turkulainen
Kole Lind
Jason Robertson

• Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Not sure what SEAL number's really mean but we have EP leading the way and LInd also made the list....I do believe that deserves a ...

WOW....

(copied from above)

Best D+1 players:

Elias Pettersson
Kristian Vesalainen
Miro Heiskanen
Lucas Elvenes
Aleksi Heponiemi
Robert Thomas
Morgan Frost
Owen Tippett
Marcus Davidsson
Ryan Poehling
Jerry Turkulainen
Kole Lind
Jason Robertson

It is essentially a way to measure the performance of players across various leagues, age, position, and periods in time. 

Notice how there isn't any Casey Mittlestadt... (Looking your way Pronman :ph34r:

Secondary Assists

Era

League

SEAL adjusted numbers take raw scoring and apply statistical adjustments for the 4 above factors.

They’re still in their relative infancy, but have proven pretty effective in comparing prospects and predicting their future performance.

EDIT: Actually, the “S” now stands for “situational.” I was thinking of the earlier model where they adjusted for secondary assists (as well as era, age, and league) but the current model (developed in the last year or so) breaks down scoring by game states (5v5, 5v4, 4v5, etc) and also splits points into their components (goals, primary assists, secondary assists) and assigns values for each.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

How can you possibly compare that scenario?  Glass has 62 points in 41 games, he's 6'2 and plays center.  People around here have found plenty of excuses for Virtanen despite his lack of production, I'm pretty sure Glass would have plenty of support around here had we selected him, in fact, people would be saying Petterson is too skinny his game won't translate to the NHL(the exact same thing people said about Nylander and Ehlers. 

"Kole Lind Isn't that far off of Glass as a prospect. Why would you take a guy like Glass in the top 10 when you can get similar talent in the late first( where Kole should have gone) to the 2nd round"

This is just hindsight, last year Glass was clearly the more valuable prospect and still is based on the position he plays alone, the rest is up for debate

I wanted Glass picked for the Canucks at number 5.   In hindsight, they probably got a better player in EP but Glass is a legit player.   I do not believe Kole Lind is an equal prospect to Glass simply based upon position but it was a bit disappointing to see Glass not rise a bit higher in performance this year.   However, IF the Canucks would have taken him, it would still have been a fine pick but you can bet a lot of people would have been complaining about missing on EP.

• Upvote 2

I don't pretend to know much about Pettersson

There are people on here saying how great he will be

That he will be a franchise player etc

Making comparisons to the greats already

What confuses me with that is,

Looking at the Team Canada roster

If we could have  Crosby, McDavid etc (that some are suggesting he will be) at Elias age

I would see them on this team

Why isn't E.P. on the Sweden team?

People are raving about E.P. performing in the  mens league

Sweden should know him better than anyone on here

As I said, I don't know E.P. at all really

I am not putting him down or putting him on a pedestal

So if the so called experts who rave about him and make comparisons could explain why his own Country didn't include him in the Olympics if he is considered so elite, I would appreciate it

I know the Canadian stars when they were at his age that you compare would have been on the Canadian team (as with the USA ones)

7 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If we could have  Crosby, McDavid etc (that some are suggesting he will be) at Elias age

So if the so called experts who rave about him and make comparisons could explain why his own Country didn't include him in the Olympics if he is considered so elite, I would appreciate it

I know the Canadian stars when they were at his age that you compare would have been on the Canadian team (as with the USA ones)

Well I don't think there is a direct comparison for this for modern day Canada USA top hockey prospects.

his scoring rate at every level has been beyond exceptional.

hes scoring and setting up highlight real plays.

his shot is a laser and his one timers are al macinnis esque 

At the world juniors he scored some beauties and at times was the best forward in the tourney. But to not be named one of the top 3 by the coach at the end of the tourney and for his scoring to drop made it seem like the coaches had issues with him. Or perhaps the flu was wearing him down more, or the coaches were balancing the lines.

regardless, hockey is political and I wonder if he has said or done something to bother the international coaching/management for Sweden. 

I personally don't care he's not going and think it's better he's not. Regardless, team Sweden left Hedman off an Olympic roster and Canada has left off Marty st louis and stamkos when they were leading the league in scoring - don't lose sleep on it and don't think swedens Olympic decision is any indicator of EPs future success as a Canuck cause it means absolutely nothing!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

are you kidding? Do you know how many elite 18 year old Canadian players did not make the Olympic teams of the past?  You bring up Crosby and McDavid, those guys come out what? once every 10 to 15 years?  Who said Elias is a generational talent here?

Edited by Darius71

8 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

are you kidding? Do you know how many elite 18 year old Canadian players did not make the Olympic teams of the past?  You bring up Crosby and McDavid, those guys come out what? once every 10 to 15 years?  Who said Elias is a generational talent here?

Crosby didn't make the Olympic team when he was 18. Stamkos and Tavares didn't either when they were 19. I wouldn't read too much into Pettersson's development based on who Sweden put on their Olympic roster. There were quite a few strange choices.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

What?

Am I kidding about what?

Please read before commenting

I am not talking about the past, or who was left off in the past (when teams had NHL players)

I said on THIS Olympic team they would be on at his age and only asking why Sweden didn't put him on a weaker Swedish Team as well?

6 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

What?

Am I kidding about what?

I am not talking about the past, or who was left off in the past (when teams had NHL players)

I said on THIS Olympic team they would be on at his age and only asking why Sweden didn't put him on a weaker Swedish Team as well?

The Swedish brass weren't apparently thrilled with his World Junior performance for whatever it was worth (he battled the flu for large parts of the tournament). Just for added context, Pettersson wasn't the only notable omission:

That doesn’t explain leaving Pettersson off the roster, but he’s not the only offensively-skilled player staying at home during the Olympics. The 22-year-old Victor Olofsson currently leads the SHL in goalscoring with 21 goals in 34 games. He’s not on the roster.

The top six highest scoring Swedish defencemen in the SHL are also not on the roster. That includes the 22-year-old Lawrence Pilut, who leads all SHL defencemen with 27 points in 36 games, and Pettersson’s Växjö teammate, Joel Persson, who has 26 points in 35 games.

To be totally clear, quite a few people whose opinions I trust were surprised that he didn't make it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

What?

Am I kidding about what?

Maybe they think he is not experienced enough or he has not paid his dues, or maybe there are politics involved.  I dont know.  What are you trying to imply though? The "so called experts" (as you put them) are wrong and the kid is not talented enough?  He only leads that league in ppg scoring at 18.  Must be all smoke and mirrors.

6 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Maybe they think he is not experienced enough or he has not paid his dues, or maybe there are politics involved.  I dont know.  What are you trying to imply though? The "so called experts" (as you put them) are wrong and the kid is not talented enough?  He only leads that league in ppg scoring at 18.  Must be all smoke and mirrors.

I am not implying anything as I don't know enough about him

Others claim to know so much about him

This is a discussion board and I asked a fair question did I not?

• Upvote 1

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

I am not implying anything as I don't know enough about him

Others claim to know so much about him

This is a discussion board and I asked a fair question did I not?

fair enough.  

I would not read too much into it.  Seguin once got cut from the Canadian WJ team in favour of older players - some of which were not as talented.  I wont pretend to know what went on in Swedish management's decision making.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

The Swedish brass weren't apparently thrilled with his World Junior performance for whatever it was worth (he battled the flu for large parts of the tournament). Just for added context, Pettersson wasn't the only notable omission:

To be totally clear, quite a few people whose opinions I trust were surprised that he didn't make it.

Thank you !

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Thank you !

The guy you quoted stated Sweden wasn't happy with his performance. I'm just curious as to where he heard that.? it is crap like that that gives these boards A high school pow wow in the girl's bathroom where A bunch of cheerleaders gossip about the fat kids. I watched every minute of every Swedish game. What I noticed was Petterson and Dhalin were so far ahead of the rest of the team and were depended on to win gold. How many gifts did Nylander botch? Just to name one example. What I also noticed was how responsible those 2 were at getting back on D. All while battling the flu. Up until fatigue and carrying, lesser players his strength gave out. and 2 be fair Dahlin was held off the scoresheet just as many games as Petterson. I guess Olli is better than Rasmus since in his first WJC he had 9 assists and 5 points this year to tie him. Numbers don't mean squat. Typical knee-jerk reaction. At the end of the day, I think Dahlin got the nod more for hype. Not that he isn't A stud, but based on the wjc he and Petterson were equal in my mind. They both played very well, for 2 guys who were clearly dumbing it down so the rest of the team could maintain.

I'll say one thing they had good chemistry for just being thrown together. and with A little luck, they will both be lighting it up for us next year.

• Upvote 2