The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I love Bo but he's not even close to be making the top 10 centers of the league.  

Who knows...if EP and Boeser are his linemmates, then he has potential. Plays a good overall game, good in faceoffs, PK, PP, leadership etc. Him being a #1/#2 center for us is all that matters.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Tell me that next year at this time ...or if we get in the playoffs this year...because of him....with EP and BB on his line.....

Some day he might, but right now (or even right before he went down) he's not even close. 

As for the bolded, i know its Friday night but I think you need to slow down just a bit.  

• Cheers 4

Just now, J-23 said:

Who knows...if EP and Boeser are his linemmates, then he has potential. Plays a good overall game, good in faceoffs, PK, PP, leadership etc. Him being a #1/#2 center for us is all that matters.

Potential, sure, but the quote was "Most people would say Bo is one of the best center's."  Not today they sure don't.  Heck of a player but there's still another tier above him currently

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Most people would say horvat is a #2 center at best. I would take horvat over a #3 d and most #2 d every day of the week. 

Most people will take a #2 center over a #2 winger. 

5 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I dunno, but it needs to come back! Need to reign in the trolls some how...

they took away the Negative button a few years ago, brought it back although your limited to 1 neg per day I think

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And there's a large difference between a fringe 2nd liner and a top 2nd liner/boarder line first liner. 

Tkachuk isn't just a winger he's do it everything winger that bring a lot more value than just points. 

Would you trade Alzner for Simmonds?  

I don't follow Alzner's game all that closely, but I don't think he and Juolevi are going to be similar styles of defenceman. Alzner is more of a stay at home guy from what I've seen, and maybe one who benefited from playing with Washington's talent to generate points, whereas if all goes well Juolevi will be solid at both ends of the ice. You're asking me if I'd trade Alzner for SImmonds? Yeah, I might, but it's because I view Alzner as a different player than Juolevi hopefully turns into. I wouldn't trade Juolevi for Simmonds, but we also have an organizational need for good, young, defenceman. Tkachuk would not have brought us that, and while Juolevi may not turn out to be a top pairing defenceman we can still use a solid 2nd pairing guy, if that happens to be his ceiling.

23 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

They think Petterson is too weak physically to make the team obviously. I can see this kid being a top 10 NHL player when he matures around 22-23. 

I expect him to be a top player. In the thick of the scoring race in the NHL. He is a complete player when you throw how he passes in. And unlike many players that pass that well he shoots really well.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

I don't follow Alzner's game all that closely, but I don't think he and Juolevi are going to be similar styles of defenceman. Alzner is more of a stay at home guy from what I've seen, and maybe one who benefited from playing with Washington's talent to generate points, whereas if all goes well Juolevi will be solid at both ends of the ice. You're asking me if I'd trade Alzner for SImmonds? Yeah, I might, but it's because I view Alzner as a different player than Juolevi hopefully turns into. I wouldn't trade Juolevi for Simmonds, but we also have an organizational need for good, young, defenceman. Tkachuk would not have brought us that, and while Juolevi may not turn out to be a top pairing defenceman we can still use a solid 2nd pairing guy, if that happens to be his ceiling.

The question isn't in regard to juolevi, it was is a #3 defence more valuable than a 2nd line winger.  No one in there right mind would consider trading Simmonds for Alzer.  I used that point as an extreme to show the range level between players that are considered 2nd line players and #3 defence based on their current team.  It's far to broad of a statement to say #3 defence are more important then 2nd line players.

If Juolevi turns into a Ryan Ellis #3 defence which i'm hoping he hits then he's on a completely different value scale than someone like Alzer.  But at the same time Tkachuk isn't just a typical 2nd line player.  He bring more to a team than just some 2nd line offensive production, we need defence, but we also need some push back. Tkachuk is currently in his second year and already at the level of an top tier second line winger.  If Flames didn't have an elite top 5 LW already in their system Tkachuk would already be a top line winger.  He's 18th in the league for LW's in points an he just turned 20.  

42 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The question isn't in regard to juolevi, it was is a #3 defence more valuable than a 2nd line winger.  No one in there right mind would consider trading Simmonds for Alzer.  I used that point as an extreme to show the range level between players that are considered 2nd line players and #3 defence based on their current team.  It's far to broad of a statement to say #3 defence are more important then 2nd line players.

If Juolevi turns into a Ryan Ellis #3 defence which i'm hoping he hits then he's on a completely different value scale than someone like Alzer.  But at the same time Tkachuk isn't just a typical 2nd line player.  He bring more to a team than just some 2nd line offensive production, we need defence, but we also need some push back. Tkachuk is currently in his second year and already at the level of an top tier second line winger.  If Flames didn't have an elite top 5 LW already in their system Tkachuk would already be a top line winger.  He's 18th in the league for LW's in points an he just turned 20.  

And yet here you are proclaiming just the opposite, that 2nd line wingers are more important than #3 D. It's always the same thing around here, admire the guy playing in the NHL over who we're trying to develop. I'm not writing Juolevi off as a worse choice than Tkachuk because of his 2 seasons in Calgary so far. Tkachuk is an interesting player, and one that I admit to warming to after getting to know him off the ice after on the ice, but if Juolevi turns into Ryan Ellis nobody is going to give a $&!# about Tkachuk. They might not anyways. It will be very interesting to see where each player is in 4-5 years.

edit: go Pettersson 

Edited by Green Building
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Green Building said:

And yet here you are proclaiming just the opposite, that 2nd line wingers are more important than #3 D.

When did i say that? All i did was rebuttal that claim that 

"I would take a top 3 dman who plays 22 mins a night over a 2nd line winger any day of the week."

And I gave an example to show how that doesn't remain true across all scenarios.  

It's always the same thing around here, admire the guy playing in the NHL over who we're trying to develop. I'm not writing Juolevi off as a worse choice than Tkachuk because of his 2 seasons in Calgary so far. Tkachuk is an interesting player, and one that I admit to warming to after getting to know him off the ice after on the ice, but if Juolevi turns into Ryan Ellis nobody is going to give a $&!# about Tkachuk. They might not anyways. It will be very interesting to see where each player is in 4-5 years. 

i never said anything bad about Juolevi, i never even said i would take Tkachuk over Juolevi. All i said was that a broad statement that #3 D are better than 2nd line wingers isn't always the case.  If Juolevi turns into Ellis, which is what I think his ceiling is, then i don't see how anyone could be upset.  With that said Tkachuks biggest issue was his skating, people thought he wasn't a good enough skater to be a successful top winger in this league and he's showing already that he's able to handle it at 20.

15 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Most people would say horvat is a #2 center at best. I would take horvat over a #3 d and most #2 d every day of the week. 

Center vs winger.  Added to that a two way player who plays in all situations and can be counted on to help keep pucks out as well as score. 

Thats a far cry from what MT does. If MT was a large bodied offensive center with skill and such, he would have gone a few spots higher IMO. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so when have i said Tkachuk is an elite? and what part of Juolevi play screams elite? i just said he's a better pick than Juolevi and at this point of their young career Tkachuk is progressing nicely where Juolevi's been up and down. more like you guys are the one hyping Juolevi to be this elite top 2 defensemen. Can he be? sure.. ya the lames definitely going to trade away Tkachuk for defense when their top 4 is giordano harmonic hamliton and brodie.. and also have parson coming up the pipe for goaltending in the future.. but nah let's pretend Calgary's defense and goaltending is going to need help because they are only 7th in the league defensively

It would be easier to take your anti Canuck stirring if you dropped the Toronto area code from your name. Wai Lai, when used phonetically, kind of sounds like 'waylay'. So waylay from Toronto, why should CDC hang on your every word ?

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I’m just guessing, sorry I should have made that clear. Why else would the leading scorer of the SHL be left off the team? My guess is they watched world juniors and saw the skill but also saw he sometimes got beaten along the boards cause of strength issues. His PP play was amazing but his 5 on 5 was average. 

Or they know how ill he was and that he has played in three leagues essentially with WJC and is likely near spent.    Chances are if Dahlin had been ill for WJC he would be on outside too.    That is at least one "why else?".   Another could simply be that they have seemingly left a lot of offense off the team if you look at their selections and perhaps they feel they have a better chance in this non-NHL year going with a more defensive minded/grinder line-up.   Those are two more likely and plausible reasons than your guess in my mind.   Our guesses can agree to disagree as on the large Olympic ice surface, EP's bulk or lack thereof without the NHL talent would to me be an non-issue.

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so when have i said Tkachuk is an elite? and what part of Juolevi play screams elite? i just said he's a better pick than Juolevi and at this point of their young career Tkachuk is progressing nicely where Juolevi's been up and down. more like you guys are the one hyping Juolevi to be this elite top 2 defensemen. Can he be? sure.. ya the lames definitely going to trade away Tkachuk for defense when their top 4 is giordano harmonic hamliton and brodie.. and also have parson coming up the pipe for goaltending in the future.. but nah let's pretend Calgary's defense and goaltending is going to need help because they are only 7th in the league defensively

No, YOU feel he was a better pick than OJ but in agreeing with you, we would both then be wrong.  Tkachuk tops out at a 16-18 min 2nd line guy who will be suspended many more times until likely Avery'ing out of the NHL.  OJ projects to be a top pairing Dman who can log 20 plus minutes and will be strong in both ends of the ice.   If you have a chance at a second line crap disturber with questionable decision making over a top pairing Dman you would take the former?    Again, will totally disagree with you each and every time on that.

If you are going to troll the Vancouver fanbase, creating some fantasy about how the Flames lineup somehow dictated the good drafting the Canucks have done isn't the place to start.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

No points today. Bust! Trade him! :frantic:

jk

Växjö now 16 points clear. If I hadn't already booked 2 vacations I'd seriously consider a weekend trip to Växjö for a playoff game. I've spent a couple of hours during a school exchange there somewhere around 2008/09. Nice little town.

• Upvote 2