The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 2018-03-16 at 1:31 AM, ForzaTikare said:

First rumours about guldhjälmen (SHL MVP) sais that it will be awarded to Joakim Lindström of Skellefteå AIK, Lindström finished with 50p (16+34) +17 in 46 games

EP finished with 56p (24+32) +27 in 44 games

Edit: Lindström confirmed winner

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/WLep62/lindstrom-bast-i-shl--historisk-vinnare

wow thats just... wow. Second year in a row for this guy too? is he that much better than EP?

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wow thats just... wow. Second year in a row for this guy too? is he that much better than EP?

I don’t think he’s necessarily better. But he did play on arguably the best line in the SHL this season. Certainly the most productive line, both in terms of on-ice team GF and the raw totals put up by Lindström, Lindholm, and Möller (who were 3rd, 4th, and 9th in SHL scoring). And he played in more of a pure “first line” role than Pettersson. He’s very skilled and definitely makes some slick plays. He also has some edge to his game and can get nasty at times (probably had the most PIM among the skilled players in the SHL). 

You take his last game, not that it’s quite representative, more of the extreme, but it gives you a sense of what he can do. Played less than 4 minutes but in that short time had a goal, an assist, and then ended his night with a 5 and a game for an illegal check to the head. 

Not saying he’s a good player because he tried to smash somebody’s face in. Just that he’s a guy who’s looking to score goals but can also bring a pretty aggressive physical presence at times (obviously he took it too far last game).

I don’t mean to argue for his selection. I’d have given the guldhjälmen to Pettersson. But I can understand where the players were coming from with their selection. 

I’ve also read that Lindström scored more 5v5 points and that might have been a factor in some player’s minds.

I’m curious how close the final vote was though?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pettersson and Växjö fall 4-3 to Brynäs. Elias with a couple chances late but couldn’t find the equalizer to send it to OT.

Did he manage to get a point this last game? I can imagine he's going to have less space here in the post season.

On 2018-03-20 at 10:19 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I don’t think he’s necessarily better. But he did play on arguably the best line in the SHL this season. Certainly the most productive line, both in terms of on-ice team GF and the raw totals put up by Lindström, Lindholm, and Möller (who were 3rd, 4th, and 9th in SHL scoring). And he played in more of a pure “first line” role than Pettersson. He’s very skilled and definitely makes some slick plays. He also has some edge to his game and can get nasty at times (probably had the most PIM among the skilled players in the SHL). 

You take his last game, not that it’s quite representative, more of the extreme, but it gives you a sense of what he can do. Played less than 4 minutes but in that short time had a goal, an assist, and then ended his night with a 5 and a game for an illegal check to the head. 

Not saying he’s a good player because he tried to smash somebody’s face in. Just that he’s a guy who’s looking to score goals but can also bring a pretty aggressive physical presence at times (obviously he took it too far last game).

I don’t mean to argue for his selection. I’d have given the guldhjälmen to Pettersson. But I can understand where the players were coming from with their selection. 

I’ve also read that Lindström scored more 5v5 points and that might have been a factor in some player’s minds.

I’m curious how close the final vote was though?

I cant find the votes anywhere, but Lindström is tearing Färjestad to pieces so far.. 3+1 so far in first 2 games and thats playing like 4? min first game aswell.. 

Hopefully EP is back on track tomorrow!

They going to make the same mistake Sweden did and have Elias, their top point producer, play 2nd line minutes?  Hope not.

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

But he did play on arguably the best line in the SHL this season. Certainly the most productive line, both in terms of on-ice team GF and the raw totals put up by Lindström, Lindholm, and Möller (who were 3rd, 4th, and 9th in SHL scoring).

All the more reason why he shouldn't have won MVP if he is surrounded by better players(point wise).

He's still inconsistent in his ability to take over a game at the top level, but many young players are that way.

I mean we are asking him to dominate men playing for a championship as a rookie 19 year old. It's not a given on any day. 

46 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

got to think EP has a big game coming up soon, but could be getting shut down with the harder checking of playoff hockey, guy cant go pointless much longer you would think

He was shut down quite effectively last game, they didnt have home-ice-advantage then.. .Wasnt seen much until last 5-10 min where he had some close ones.. Think he might be on the protocol today! placing a bet on him getting atleast 2 points!

2 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Pettersson will need a big mean forward / center on his line that can take the hard minutes and give him some room MacEwen fits this, fast good hands and has some snarl . 

Gadjovic would be ideal I think.  Maybe he won’t be ready at the start of next season, but he might be ready by Christmas.