The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

Prepare to be surprised. I would be very very surprised if he is not. Just going on record as saying that because he has tools to be elite. The NHL has not had a clear cut number one player since the Mario Gretzky days. Swedish players tend to develop a little later also. so expect as Brian Burke said "he might not have a ceiling". Starting tomorrow Elias will do the talking.

I personally don't place any Swedish players as of now in the generational category; with Lidstrom coming the closest as the greatest Swedish player of all-time. I won't say that it's unthinkable that Pettersson could become better than Lidstrom, but that's an extraordinarily high standard to hold him to. I expect Pettersson to be a good top six forward and maybe a great first line center, with the potential of becoming one of the league's best forwards for a while, but I'm not going to be surprised if he's not one of the best in the league.

"Generational" is a nearly untouchable standard for me. The term you use "elite" is much more attainable for me, but I suppose I'm just nitpicking at semantics now.

We can both agree that he has nearly limitless potential.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I personally don't place any Swedish players as of now in the generational category; with Lidstrom coming the closest as the greatest Swedish player of all-time. I won't say that it's unthinkable that Pettersson could become better than Lidstrom, but that's an extraordinarily high standard to hold him to. I expect Pettersson to be a good top six forward and maybe a great first line center, with the potential of becoming one of the league's best forwards for a while, but I'm not going to be surprised if he's not one of the best in the league.

"Generational" is a nearly untouchable standard for me. The term you use "elite" is much more attainable for me, but I suppose I'm just nitpicking at semantics now.

In your opinion, would generational players include Mcdavid, Crosby, Ovi??, Gretzky and Lemieux 

Edited by DontMessMe

Just now, DontMessMe said:

In your opinion, would generational players include Mcdavid, Crosby, Ovi??, Gretzky and Lemieux 

All five of those, though I'm hesitant to include McDavid yet. I think he'll get there. I would also add in Orr and Howe and cut if off there.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

All five of those, though I'm hesitant to include McDavid yet. I think he'll get there. I would also add in Orr and Howe and cut if off there.

If you are going back that far then you have to add Hull and Richard. :) 

There seems to be more players at the top end now than when Mario and Wayne played.  I'm 58 and remember the 80's and 90's well.  Mario and Wayne were head and shoulders above their competition.  There doesn't seem to be that same separation today with the players at the top.

9 hours ago, cory40 said:

Welcome to the big club Elias, for many they expected it. And for some their was absolutely no doubt. Elias has made the need to draft Hughes as that franchise center obsolete. And because we have Elias we probably have no  chance at finishing low enough to be a lottery team. Expect exactly what you have seen in the pre-season from Elias. A highlight for twitter every game or so. ( Hard to find a game from Elias where he didn't do something spectacular in the last 2 years). Elias is a quick study and just in 5 games I noticed a lot of improvement 5 on 5. From the first game in Penticton where he lost every face off to  pre-season where he was winning 30-40 % of the draws, in just a couple weeks.  

Cannot agree with your playoff team assumption. Canucks are no where close to contention yet. Bo-BB-EJ are the only three top 6 players on this team. Even at that BB & EP have to confirm that. D-core is what it is and the tenders are ???. Look at the rosters around the NHL and you start to realize how much further the Canucks have to go to even get enough pieces. EP does not eliminate the need for Jack Hughes. I suspect Benning will be picking top 5 again this year and that he will take Hughes if he can. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

No Ovechkin? By definition you can't really have two generational players drafted in consecutive years (Ovie and Sid), but you're talking about the greatest goal scorer of all time. That's gotta count for something.

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

No Ovechkin? By definition you can't really have two generational players drafted in consecutive years (Ovie and Sid), but you're talking about the greatest goal scorer of all time. That's gotta count for something.

I said all five, so that includes Ovie. His goal scoring is staggering.

Also, I don't personally restrict "generational" to "once in a generation". For me, it's just a level of a player to reach like "Elite" or "Franchise". The idea is that usually, you only see one every 10 or 15 years or so. We just got lucky to get two in two years.

8 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Would have to disagree about no clear cut number one. For a number of years Crosby was the clear cut best player on the planet. I feel like there was a good 5 years or so that was pretty undisputed.

Yeah Crosby has pushed himself into the top 5 players of all time me in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I said all five, so that includes Ovie. His goal scoring is staggering.

Also, I don't personally restrict "generational" to "once in a generation". For me, it's just a level of a player to reach like "Elite" or "Franchise". The idea is that usually, you only see one every 10 or 15 years or so. We just got lucky to get two in two years.

Ah, didn't catch the part that included Ovie.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Peter Forsburg in my mind was close to being a generational . Ep on pace for like 101 pts will only get better as he plays. True its pre-season, but I am calculating the type of points he has earned, his vision at this age could easily translate to 100 plus assists, heck he could have had 10 or more and he is still adapting to our style. It won't be long and his name will be a top the points race in the NHL. And all I said is prepare to be amazed.

Elias is as sure fire as Crosby and McDavid to be elite with better vision than we have seen in decades. And if he only wins the scoring race by 6 points then he is not generational. He is exceptional but not generational. But like I said be prepared to be amazed. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Cannot agree with your playoff team assumption. Canucks are no where close to contention yet. Bo-BB-EJ are the only three top 6 players on this team. Even at that BB & EP have to confirm that. D-core is what it is and the tenders are ???. Look at the rosters around the NHL and you start to realize how much further the Canucks have to go to even get enough pieces. EP does not eliminate the need for Jack Hughes. I suspect Benning will be picking top 5 again this year and that he will take Hughes if he can. 

I doubt they have a shot at the play-offs this year. I meant when they find their bearings they will trend that way, In fact its going to be the next two months that bury them, Not Jan-Mar where they start playing .600 hockey

• Upvote 1

I like the optimism. I'm sure Pettersson will have a good year, for someone as young and slight as him. Here's also hoping Eriksson and Goldobin become good line mates, and no one takes liberties with Elias. I can't see Goldy or the Son of Erik stepping in to protect him, so hopefully he handles that okay. 

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Wow Ken, what a moron. "Hey guys don't talk about the best player you've had come into the organization in 20 years. Pretend he doesn't exist so he doesn't get sad."

To be fair to Hitch, he was talking about being physically targeted by other team's players - not targeted for criticism by the fan base.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

To be fair to Hitch, he was talking about being physically targeted by other team's players - not targeted for criticism by the fan base.

Thanks, I totally took it that way. Still don't think it's a good argument, though maybe it wins a guy 1 game if people don't realize but that's it. Remember when Stecher had that one PP goal in his first season and everyone thought he was the saving grace, then next game he had his shot blocked every time he tried?