The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

He no longer looks like a superstar. Pretty average player IMO.

Is this the real Pettersson? There are many young players who've come into the league and they're fast and skilled, with quick snipes, etc. They're noticeably good. Look at the younger Zegras. I don't think Petey is that young anymore anyway. This is his 4th season. He's hoarded as soon as he gets the puck and isn't fast enough or good enough on his skates to get out of trouble. He relies on his stick-handling, but lately that's been poor and he ends up losing the puck. Superstar?  I don't think so, not yet anyway. 

I do feel like this is starting to turn into a pile on Pettey thing, that being said there are certainly a couple things would like to see different. 
First, he is a really good winger and that is probably where he should be.

his stance is so narrow and tall, really would like to see him drop lower and widen his stance a bit, may make him less Mason Raymondish. 
I would really like to see him move his feet a lot more and use his speed game. If he added the Bure power move from the outside and drop his shoulder going to the net he would draw so many penalties. I think the most disappointing part for me in the development of his game is he hasn’t developed his speed game. He is very fast/quick but tends not to play that way, he plays more stationary puck possession kind of game but lacks the physicality to move it to board play. 
Amazingly talented guy but all players go through bad sections of seasons or even whole seasons. 
I don’t think there are any scenarios where we trade him short of getting a superstar back. When looking for comparable we need to stop thinking top 5 player in league and think more Filip Forsberg.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

Petey

2017 - Drafted at #5, tore it up in Sweden. The Golden Boy over there

2018/19 - First year in NHL. Won the Calder trophy, nicknamed the Alien because he was otherworldly with his skill. Remember that? Invited to the All Star Game

2019/20 - In his second season, Petey did even better than the previous year. Invited to the All Star Game, again!  COVID shuts down the season. VAN did well in the bubble, whereas other teams didn't.

2020/21 - COVID shortened season, Canadian North Division. Underwhelming stats for Petey, who changed his skate blades and stick. Other teams figured out how to play him effectively. Wrist injury.

2021/22 - Petey holds out for a big contract and misses training camp. VAN gives him over $7, and so far he has 6 goals in 33 games. With his lack of strength and speed, he has become somewhat easy to knock off the puck and falls down more than Mason Raymond.

That shootout attempt against the Kings last night was pathetic. I could've done better, and I'm in my 50s and haven't skated in 15 years. lol

Maybe once Petey puts on more muscle and builds strength, his confidence will also build. Maybe he becomes a dominant top 6 player in the future, but I guess we'll see. How hard does he actually work in the off season? See him shooting puck in his basement. No big deal, easy peasy fun workout man. How about hitting the weights? Hoping he does what he needs to do to help the Canucks win. They need him to be awesome to have a chance to win the Cup. He has been far from that for 2 years now.

Edited by NUCKER67

Petey had some good looks last night.

He is too competetive and cares too much to not work on the weaknesses in his game.

As het gets stronger and understands what it takes for his game to thrive in the NHL, he will do so. 

I am not worried. We have Hank and Danny to walk alongside this young man and we remember how their first few seasons went and many wanted them gone...

• Cheers 2

A lot of criticism of Quin Hughes last year and look what he is doing this year. 

EP40 will turn it around and get on a hot streak yet this year.   One of his shots last night finds twine and everyone is singing a different tune.  I look forward to watching the 92 - 40 - 8  line play.  He's playing centre and often up against the other teams best lines on the road.     

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Petey

2017 - Drafted at #5, tore it up in Sweden. The Golden Boy over there

2018/19 - First year in NHL. Won the Calder trophy, nicknamed the Alien because he was otherworldly with his skill. Remember that? Invited to the All Star Game

2019/20 - In his second season, Petey did even better than the previous year. Invited to the All Star Game, again!  COVID shuts down the season. VAN did well in the bubble, whereas other teams didn't.

2020/21 - COVID shortened season, Canadian North Division. Underwhelming stats for Petey, who changed his skate blades and stick. Other teams figured out how to play him effectively. Wrist injury.

2021/22 - Petey holds out for a big contract and misses training camp. VAN gives him over $7, and so far he has 6 goals in 33 games. With his lack of strength and speed, he has become somewhat easy to knock off the puck and falls down more than Mason Raymond.

That shootout attempt against the Kings last night was pathetic. I could've done better, and I'm in my 50s and haven't skated in 15 years. lol

Maybe once Petey puts on more muscle and builds strength, his confidence will also build. Maybe he becomes a dominant top 6 player in the future, but I guess we'll see. How hard does he actually work in the off season? See him shooting puck in his basement. No big deal, easy peasy fun workout man. How about hitting the weights? Hoping he does what he needs to do to help the Canucks win. They need him to be awesome to have a chance to win the Cup. He has been far from that for 2 years now.

Think similar was said about the Sedins... they were almost chased out of Vancouver, before it turned around. 

The last two seasons have been a bit of a melt down. 

But if JRs reputation holds water, folks might see the back of him soon enough, and then it'll be an interesting discussion to come back to...

• Cheers 1

Petey isnt quite there physically yet but even when he does get there, he doesnt play with the same linemates.. do you really think garland and pods are on the same level as boeser and miller?   He needs players who see the ice like he does..  he wont dominate with puck possession..  garland is very inconsistent with this.. petey was in perfect position to receive passes in 2 on 1 situations last game but both players shot instead..  his shot is a little off but his play i feel has been quite good lately.. numbers will come but will never be a point a game player with his current linemates this year.. pods needs more time, garland isnt ideal for him

On 12/31/2021 at 11:34 AM, spook007 said:

Think similar was said about the Sedins... they were almost chased out of Vancouver, before it turned around. 

But if JRs reputation holds water, folks might see the back of him soon enough, and then it'll be an interesting discussion to come back to...

I totally remember that spook. Funny I've been thinking the same thing. Except the Sedins were a slow brew right from the start and didn't get to a PPG till later. Where Petey busts onto the scene right away then regressed. The similarities of the story tho are still there. As in both Sedins and Petey were pressured by the fan base to perform and people started calling to ship them out...glad it didn't happen to the Sedins, and hope it doesn't happen to Petey. Too much raw talent to give up on right now!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I totally remember that spook. Funny I've been thinking the same thing. Except the Sedins were a slow brew right from the start and didn't get to a PPG till later. Where Petey busts onto the scene right away then regressed. The similarities of the story tho are still there. As in both Sedins and Petey were pressured by the fan base to perform and people started calling to ship them out...glad it didn't happen to the Sedins, and hope it doesn't happen to Petey. Too much raw talent to give up on right now!

Spot on amigo....

Hope the eternal 'what have you done for me lately' doesn't make us give up on own we all hailed a superstar 18 months ago. A player even Gretzky would watch play....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Spot on amigo....

Hope the eternal 'what have you done for me lately' doesn't make us give up on own we all hailed a superstar 18 months ago. A player even Gretzky would watch play....

That says it all to me...he got high praise from 99...and he never does that lol. So that def perked my ears up.

• Cheers 1

On 12/31/2021 at 10:34 AM, spook007 said:

Nah, to listen to Rutherford in interviews, he thinks Petey will come around.  As far as he is concerned, Petey is one of the players you build a team around.

He was asked this very question on Halford and Brough on Friday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/hour-3-jim-rutherford-on-his-vision-for-the-vancouver-canucks/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Crabcakes said:

Nah, to listen to Rutherford in interviews, he thinks Petey will come around.  As far as he is concerned, Petey is one of the players you build a team around.

He was asked this very question on Halford and Brough on Friday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/hour-3-jim-rutherford-on-his-vision-for-the-vancouver-canucks/

Cheers CC... 

It was more tongue in cheek towards the odd narrative off shipping Petey out. Seems to be the favour of the day now...

Glad to hear Rutherford stating that he believes in Petey.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers CC... 

It was more tongue in cheek towards the odd narrative off shipping Petey out. Seems to be the favour of the day now...

Glad to hear Rutherford stating that he believes in Petey.

It's great having a GM who isn't afraid to tell the media what he thinks and what his plans are.  And "stuff" isn't a word in his vocabulary :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

It's great having a GM who isn't afraid to tell the media what he thinks and what his plans are.  And "stuff" isn't a word in his vocabulary :lol:

Cheers... absolutely... the experience clearly shines through... and "stuff" :lol:

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Zazzini said:

And yes, being a more complete player means less points. 

Not necessarily true. My personal opinion right now is, that he’s still struggling with an injury, and maybe they didn’t take the right approach to fixing it, maybe something that requires surgery.

Right now, Pettersson looks very normal out there. I noticed Brad Hunt tonight on play making than Pettersson. There’s something wrong, I’m really beginning to think it’s health related.