The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 1/22/2022 at 11:47 PM, 4petesake said:

I didn’t like the trade at the time but I can at least see what JB was thinking. AC was drafted a full 90 spots higher than GF and was 3-4 years ahead of him in his development, and was coming off a pretty good run for Chicago’s farm team with 118 pts in 2 1/2 years. JB thought he was ready for the NHL and didn’t want to wait for Forsling to develop. Sadly he was very wrong…

The impatience of the man is inevitably his undoing. How was Benning so impatient? Forsling could have been in Canuck colors contributing on the right side of our defense, instead he’s contributing in Florida’s defense. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/26/2022 at 5:08 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

That was a rebuild? More like a financial debacle. It was also a ‘rebuild’ that consisted of trading picks for players and getting older, rather than by trading older assets for picks and valuable prospects and creating a younger, more dynamic team. Yes, he drafted some younger players, everybody does, every team gets draft picks every year - but you don’t rebuild by seeking out old, expensive free agents and spending your cap into the foreseeable future to win now. 

As in here: https://canucksarmy.com/2022/01/23/what-canucks-trevor-linden-slower-rebuild/

Benning was so stupid. His stupidity has cost this team and this franchise. And Francesco was equally stupid in buying Benning’s kool-aid. It makes sense to me to trade players that are older as rentals, in exchange for prospects or draft picks. Or players that entering into UFA status. How many draft picks, or prospects would we have in our system right now, maybe even ready to contribute, if Benning had traded away Markström and ran with Demko. Traded Toffoli, Tanev, etc. 

He really set us back a number of years, and now it’s JR and PA’s job to not only clean up the mess that Benning left this franchise in, but also build this team up to becoming a contender for years to come. We may have to take a step or two back, before we can begin to move forward and be competitive again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 3:39 AM, N4ZZY said:

Benning was so stupid. His stupidity has cost this team and this franchise. And Francesco was equally stupid in buying Benning’s kool-aid. It makes sense to me to trade players that are older as rentals, in exchange for prospects or draft picks. Or players that entering into UFA status. How many draft picks, or prospects would we have in our system right now, maybe even ready to contribute, if Benning had traded away Markström and ran with Demko. Traded Toffoli, Tanev, etc. 

He really set us back a number of years, and now it’s JR and PA’s job to not only clean up the mess that Benning left this franchise in, but also build this team up to becoming a contender for years to come. We may have to take a step or two back, before we can begin to move forward and be competitive again. 

Hard to trade Toffoli when we traded for him at the TDL. Benning's biggest mistakes were thinking our UFA players would wait to sign with us ie. Markstrom and Tanev. I take Tanev over Hamonic every day at an extra 1.5 mil per.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 2:23 AM, N4ZZY said:

The impatience of the man is inevitably his undoing. How was Benning so impatient? Forsling could have been in Canuck colors contributing on the right side of our defense, instead he’s contributing in Florida’s defense. 

Didn't Forsling bounce around through many teams before getting the full time NHL job? 

I will bring this topic back to dmen since it's a Jack Rathbone thread, but the reason that Florida is doing well are more guys like Ekblad and Weegar then Forsling IMO. 

I'm really hoping that we see Rathbone get healthy and stay healthy for the remainder of the season. 

Also he's an RFA right? Might be good to get him back on a three year deal if possible as I don't think that he will be a bust. 

26 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Didn't Forsling bounce around through many teams before getting the full time NHL job? 

I will bring this topic back to dmen since it's a Jack Rathbone thread, but the reason that Florida is doing well are more guys like Ekblad and Weegar then Forsling IMO. 

I'm really hoping that we see Rathbone get healthy and stay healthy for the remainder of the season. 

Also he's an RFA right? Might be good to get him back on a three year deal if possible as I don't think that he will be a bust. 

IMO, one of the key reasons for FLA's success is their ability to identify players through the league who are good fits for their team.  Reinhart, Bennett, Marchment, Verhaeghe, Duclair, are some of the players they acquired via trade/UFA signing that are playing major roles for the Panthers. 

FLA has six players they have drafted playing on their roster.  Granted they have significantly skilled players in Huberdeau, Ekblad, Barkov, Lundell and Weegar via the draft, their pro scouts have done a tremendous job in getting the players they need.  This is exactly what the Canucks had been lacking under Benning's watch.  It's already been well documented that Benning's strength was amateur scouting, so Rathbone is a player every Canuck fan should be excited about.  But, as Rutherford has stated, the Canucks need players.  Players who can play. 

Allvin is reputed to know every single pro player, so this is supposed to be his strength.  So rather than signing a bunch of fringe NHL UFAs like the Canucks did this past summer, hopefully Allvin will be able to bring in players via free agency who will actually make a solid contribution.  Couple this with some of the solid draft picks like Rathbone left behind by Benning, the future should be something to be excited about.

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What a game — his third point of the night.

With Hughes out on the Covid list, I see no good reason why Rathbone shouldn't be in the Canucks lineup starting tomorrow. This feels like a statement game for him telling the Canucks management that he's ready for the NHL again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We have D men on the big club that struggle around their net, and they don’t bring offense…

I say call him up! If there was ever a time to see what he can do it’s now.

Unleash the Rath of the Boneman!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:42 AM, UKNuck96 said:

It’s a result of playing not to lose vs playing to win. 

also with soccer you have more space in transition. The equivalent would be playing an inverse torpedo system or a full ice 1-3-1. 

if you pack the box you need an outlet and a quick transition

in soccer, you do have more space, but twice as many players outside of the goal-tenders, to fill it with.

On transition: Perhaps, but then we had the problem that we only had one D capable of making that pass, and too little team speed to take advantage.