The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kristoffer Gunnarsson | D

Adarsh Sant

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched a few minutes of Frolunda vs Farjestad. Didn't think I'd get to see much of KG as he's listed as 7th dman. Watched a bit of the 3rd, Frolunda up 4-3, KG was on the ice more than any other dman, 5x5 and short handed. Made a superb play ( short handed ) when he took out a forward going for an empty netter, with the Frolunda goalie at the other side of the net. Looked good.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Just watched a few minutes of Frolunda vs Farjestad. Didn't think I'd get to see much of KG as he's listed as 7th dman. Watched a bit of the 3rd, Frolunda up 4-3, KG was on the ice more than any other dman, 5x5 and short handed. Made a superb play ( short handed ) when he took out a forward going for an empty netter, with the Frolunda goalie at the other side of the net. Looked good.

Encouraging to hear. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

How did his skating look? I think once he improves his skating he will have a legitmate chance to make the NHL. Rooting for the guy!

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

How did his skating look? I think once he improves his skating he will have a legitmate chance to make the NHL. Rooting for the guy!

Very limited viewing, but he was keeping up with the play with no problem. He doesn't go deep into the offensive zone ( no surprise there ). Can see why he doesn't have Orr like stats.

edit: he didn't carry the puck at all while I was watching. Put it off the boards as soon as it hit his stick. I'm assuming they use him to protect a lead.

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

What a snipe!

Kristoffer “Alien” Gunnarsson.

JB quote from the draft "I think this kid will play". I like the physical style he brings. Is this his contract year with Frolunda Sid? I think he signed a 2 year contract with them. We could use his muscle down on the farm next year. And if his skating improves I think we will see him in a Canucks uniform. Kinda scary blue line with Guddy already in it. Gunner and Guddy would solidify our toughness on our back end. Especially with Hughes potentially making the team next year! We need some more size.

• 1 month later...

I'm still in awe by how, despite only scoring 1 goal (and have 0 assists in his ENTIRE 2 AND A HALF SHL CAREER), he's still got a positive +/-. This season he scored 1 goal but sits at a 0 for his +/-. The last two years, he's been at +2/+2 respectively (despite not contributing anything offensively). Given the state of our defense, and him being 21 already (I believe he was an overager when drafted) I have to wonder if he's a sleeper candidate to get signed/make a case for himself next Fall at Training Camp. Something says his defensive prowess is exactly what the Canucks need. A total shutdown guy.

10 minutes ago, Archie the grim said:

It would be nice to have Gunnarsson, Woo, Gudbranson and Rathbone all on the defence. From what I hear Gunnarsson, Woo and Rathbone all like to play physical. Would be nice to have a defence that other teams fear, instead of giggling at.

I notice that Gunnarsson hasn't been on the Frolunda roster for a few games ! ....................nor has Utunen in Tappara, nor Zhukenov ( wherever he is today ! ). Hardly worth dragging out the Euro stats these days !

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

I notice that Gunnarsson hasn't been on the Frolunda roster for a few games ! ....................nor has Utunen in Tappara, nor Zhukenov ( wherever he is today ! ). Hardly worth dragging out the Euro stats these days !

With the three that you mentioned you only have to check up on their stats once a month to see if anything has changedB)