The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] CBJ buys out Scott Hartnell

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Interesting... If he wasn't so damn slow, he'd be a good pickup for a year too.

He still scored 37 points and was a plus 14. So his lack of foot speed isn't a deal breaker for me. I'd much rather Hartnell than Yak, Weal, Ganger, etc. He actually has some bite to his game and would be a valuable veteran presence. Virtanen could learn a thing or two from him.

12 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

He still scored 37 points and was a plus 14. So his lack of foot speed isn't a deal breaker for me. I'd much rather Hartnell than Yak, Weal, Ganger, etc. He actually has some bite to his game and would be a valuable veteran presence. Virtanen could learn a thing or two from him.

Definitely over Yak. 

He'd likely be easy to flip at the TDL.

28 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Definitely over Yak. 

He'd likely be easy to flip at the TDL.

If he's willing to sign a contract that makes him an attractive TD acquisition (short term, low cap) why wouldn't he just sign with a contender to start with? 

Just now, qwijibo said:

If he's willing to sign a contract that makes him an attractive TD acquisition (short term, low cap) why wouldn't he just sign with a contender to start with? 

We'd probably have to offer 'decent' money. Money a contender wouldn't be able to afford all year (cap is prorated and we could also retain).

24 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

At this stage in his career I doubt money is his primary Gocus in deciding where to sign. I could see him taking a team friendly contract with a contender for a shot at a cup over more money with a non playoff team 

Why not both?. Decent money with a rebuilding team, move at the TDL to a contender. Win, win.

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Why not both?. Decent money with a rebuilding team, move at the TDL to a contender. Win, win.

Unless he has a NTC he's has no say in where he gets traded to. Whereas he can pick his destination up front if he cuts out the middleman. (Canucks). 

This team doesn't need any additional (35 year old) veteran presence.

No one needs Hartnell's mentorship - particularly if it means watching him play while they sit in the press box.

Hartnell may have made sense to this team before the buyout - to extract value from Columbus for taking on that contract - but now that he's bought out, he doesn't really serve a need for this team aside from making them more competitive immediately as opposed to leaving a spot open for the increasing wealth of NHL ready youth to compete for.

When we had Hansen, Burrows etc and a hope of competing (if/when the team was healthy) adding Hartnell may have made sense, particularly if it meant adding futures to take him off CBJ's hands, however at this point, not so much.

We're not the Toronto Maple Leafs, signing placeholders to flip for picks at the deadline while consuming a season with them occupying a roster spot.  They did that when their prospect pool was barren.  The Canuck's is not.

Doesn't really make any sense.   Signing Yakupov as a project makes far more sense at this stage imo.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

And makes less money...

Like I said.  Who knows what his motivation is at this point in his career. Maybe money isn't the primary motivating factor  Especially given the fact that he'll be getting his buyout money on top of any contract he signs.  I'm not saying he won't sign with a non playoff team. I just think it's unlikely.   

Just now, qwijibo said:

Like I said.  Who knows what his motivation is at this point in his career. Maybe money isn't the primary motivating factor  Especially given the fact that he'll be getting his buyout money on top of any contract he signs.  I'm not saying he won't sign with a non playoff team. I just think it's unlikely.   

..and I'm not saying I know what his motivation is either.

<<<Devil's advocate ;)

Archived