The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flames future in Calgary

goalie13

1 minute ago, Fakename70 said:

But, you're not the one who'd be doing the traveling from continent-to-continent for games, though. It'd be potentially harmful (and physically taxing, at least) to the players, and it just isn't being realistic to think that it'll ever happen. Donald Fehr would go to his grave fighting against it. Same goes for the NFL European expansion pipe dream as well. The Players Association will never go for it. 

With a division of Euro teams   i am thinking it could be 1 Euro road trip per season.  

That would be easy.

I think the NHLPA would support a deal that put 10 mil  into each teams payroll.   Money talks

Makes more sense in hockey which already has Euro fan support.  NFL football sucks and is dying anyways with concussion research  / lawsuits.

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

With a division of Euro teams   i am thinking it could be 1 Euro road trip per season.  

That would be easy.

I think the NHLPA would support a deal that put 10 mil  into each teams payroll.   Money talks

Makes more sense in hockey which already has Euro fan support.  NFL football sucks and is dying anyways with concussion research  / lawsuits.

But, logistically it isn't feasible nor practical. Common Sense says "no way". 

I don't believe they could sustain teams at the current salary cap in Europe, not many anyway.  Many of the teams in Europe already have trouble making payroll.  

Calgary deserves to keep the Flames.  I lived in the city for years and watched many Canucks games in the stupid inverted stadium.  It was an awful place the day it opened.  I don't believe that the government should put a dollar into buildings, in fact I think it should be illegal to put public money into professional sports stadiums.  To be fair though the government pumped a ton of money into the Oiler's stadium.  Calgary is a bigger, nicer city with a higher tax base, I can see why the owners feel so entitled.  Different civic governments though.

• 7 months later...
15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Calgary City Council has voted to restart arena negotiations with the Flames.

There is no way the Flames should move from Calgary.  I hate the Flames, and their fans, but (even so) the city deserves to have that team stay.  

On 2017-10-02 at 6:29 PM, DrJockitch said:

I don't believe they could sustain teams at the current salary cap in Europe, not many anyway.  Many of the teams in Europe already have trouble making payroll.  

Calgary deserves to keep the Flames.  I lived in the city for years and watched many Canucks games in the stupid inverted stadium.  It was an awful place the day it opened.  I don't believe that the government should put a dollar into buildings, in fact I think it should be illegal to put public money into professional sports stadiums.  To be fair though the government pumped a ton of money into the Oiler's stadium.  Calgary is a bigger, nicer city with a higher tax base, I can see why the owners feel so entitled.  Different civic governments though.

So since the owners and the government won’t put money into a stadium, the Flames continue to play in a dilapidated building and teams like the Canucks have to pay to prop up the Calgary franchise. Right now their business model relies on receiving money from the league.

I am not amused.

Not sure how we are paying them anything.  Not doubting, just not aware of how. 

Team is very well supported in the community, 

If anything playing in a dilapidated building really means that it doesn't have enough boxes to maximize revenue.  It is getting old but was always a terrible design.  Would worry about Arizona and Florida before I started pointing fingers at Calgary. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Not sure how we are paying them anything.  Not doubting, just not aware of how. 

Team is very well supported in the community, 

If anything playing in a dilapidated building really means that it doesn't have enough boxes to maximize revenue.  It is getting old but was always a terrible design.  Would worry about Arizona and Florida before I started pointing fingers at Calgary. 

There’s an interesting article in The HF Calgary board that addresses this issue. I don’t want to see good Canadian cities lose their teams either. It really doesn’t help the Canucks if Calgary moves to Houston and our travel increases.

The article describes how The Flames are responsible for 100% of the maintenance costs for the SD and that coupled with the weak Canadian dollar has made the Flames, rely on funds from the wealthier teams. 

The league seems to pull the trigger on relocation more quickly when a Canadian team has problems, excepting the Atlanta relocation to Winnipeg.

I hope you’re right Dr J.

Just have some trust issues with Gary and the boys.

On 2018-06-01 at 2:13 AM, PistolPete13 said:

So since the owners and the government won’t put money into a stadium, the Flames continue to play in a dilapidated building and teams like the Canucks have to pay to prop up the Calgary franchise. Right now their business model relies on receiving money from the league.

I am not amused.

They have given up alot of money over the years like a loss in parking revenue and concession revenue.

3 minutes ago, Violator said:

They have given up alot of money over the years like a loss in parking revenue and concession revenue.

If the flames had a NHL calibre hockey club .... maybe the owners would want to upgrade the facilities.... 

So much mismanagement of the the flames. Sad as the franchise used to be a decent club. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

If the flames had a NHL calibre hockey club .... maybe the owners would want to upgrade the facilities.... 

So much mismanagement of the the flames. Sad as the franchise used to be a decent club. 

Its definatlely not missmanagement the same group has owned the flames for a long time.they got what they thought was a sweet heart deal years ago then the way the league earns its revenue changed.

28 minutes ago, Violator said:

Its definatlely not missmanagement the same group has owned the flames for a long time.they got what they thought was a sweet heart deal years ago then the way the league earns its revenue changed.

The owners are playing bull$&!# poker with the city. Hope it doesn’t turn into Russian roulette.

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

The owners are playing bull$&!# poker with the city. Hope it doesn’t turn into Russian roulette.

Nenshi is stubborn.the flames ownership group thinks why spend a dollar when you can get it for 30cents.

9 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

There’s an interesting article in The HF Calgary board that addresses this issue. I don’t want to see good Canadian cities lose their teams either. It really doesn’t help the Canucks if Calgary moves to Houston and our travel increases.

The article describes how The Flames are responsible for 100% of the maintenance costs for the SD and that coupled with the weak Canadian dollar has made the Flames, rely on funds from the wealthier teams. 

The league seems to pull the trigger on relocation more quickly when a Canadian team has problems, excepting the Atlanta relocation to Winnipeg.

I hope you’re right Dr J.

Just have some trust issues with Gary and the boys.

Fare enough, The NHL really was quick to move Winnipeg and Quebec to try to get that giant TV deal that still hasn't appeared.  Canadian teams have given a lot of money to the league and in past times have taken a lot of money from the league.  There used to be a program that helped normalize the expenses to the Canadian teams because of the weak Canadian dollar at that time.

Frankly I firmly believe that the teams should be 100% responsible for the costs of building and maintaining their buildings.  Canada isn't as bad as the US in its misuse of tax dollars but giving money to a team is just another taxpayer handout to a billionaire or group of billionaires.

@Violator isn't calling out the Flames mismanagement a little bit of the pot calling the Kettle black.  The Canucks have traditionally been a very poorly run franchise.

On 2018-06-03 at 6:22 AM, DrJockitch said:

Fare enough, The NHL really was quick to move Winnipeg and Quebec to try to get that giant TV deal that still hasn't appeared.  Canadian teams have given a lot of money to the league and in past times have taken a lot of money from the league.  There used to be a program that helped normalize the expenses to the Canadian teams because of the weak Canadian dollar at that time.

Frankly I firmly believe that the teams should be 100% responsible for the costs of building and maintaining their buildings.  Canada isn't as bad as the US in its misuse of tax dollars but giving money to a team is just another taxpayer handout to a billionaire or group of billionaires.

@Violator isn't calling out the Flames mismanagement a little bit of the pot calling the Kettle black.  The Canucks have traditionally been a very poorly run franchise.

The drafting and development over the years has been below average, and the club has never had an upper echelon Gm or coach for an extended period of time.

Still the club has most been financially sound, although there was that rather shaky period when McCaw bailed out the Griffiths. I was pretty worried that we would lose the team back then.

Every ownership group in sports lobbies it’s hardest to have the public pay for their building. If hasn’t happened yet for the Flames, so you never know, they could search for other locations that would foot the bills for them.

or they might just use those others places as leverage to get what they want. ^_^

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

The drafting and development over the years has been below average, and the club has never had an upper echelon Gm or coach for an extended period of time.

Still the club has most been financially sound, although there was that rather shaky period when McCaw bailed out the Griffiths. I was pretty worried that we would lose the team back then.

Every ownership group in sports lobbies it’s hardest to have the public pay for their building. If hasn’t happened yet for the Flames, so you never know, they could search for other locations that would foot the bills for them.

or they might just use those others places as leverage to get what they want. ^_^

Further to my point, I wasn't sure which club you were talking about for the first sentence and a half.

Hopefully they stay in Calgary.  The NHL can only insult its base so many times.

Archived