The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Matt Duchene

22 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Why does Sakic want to move him in the first place? Because he is too good? 

Because they are building their new core around MacKinnon, Rantanen and Jost.  They are basically starting over and he is too old to be part of that new group.  He is also a UFA in two seasons.   

10 hours ago, Odd. said:

No to trading Juolevi.

Especially that it would only be for two seasons of Duchene.   Many believe that his preferred team is Nashville and after Johansen they don't really have a C2.  Kamenev and Bonino are more suited to play C3.  

13 hours ago, richado said:

HNIC panel just suggested the Canucks are in and dangling Juolevi. Said Sakic wants an established player, Sergachev-level prospect(Juolevi), and a draft pick.

Really hoping this doesn't happen.

Did they say we are shopping Juolevi for Duchene? Or just said it was a possibility...

Cause that's a big difference 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Especially that it would only be for two seasons of Duchene.   Many believe that his preferred team is Nashville and after Johansen they don't really have a C2.  Kamenev and Bonino are more suited to play C3.  

I think if you were to trade for him you make part of the deal him signing an extension first. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Kamenev is who we're interested in, not Duchene.

1 hour ago, mll said:

I suppose Jim could be thinking if a deal can't be worked out he could get a pick for MD at the TDL, similar to the Guddy situation. Jim has shown he'll make deals without a contract extension in place. 

I think we do have pieces to make it work but Sakic won't be realistic.

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For anyone interested....smells like Derek Roy.  Look at the stats to understand why the comparison is important.

Then ask yourself if you'd have traded OJ for Roy Baby

what makes you think MD is going to have the same decline in production? 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what makes you think MD is going to have the same decline in production? 

Duchene hasn't even had the production Roy did during his career and Roy did it in the dead puck era.  Duchene is a 60 or less point center on a team where he gets prime minutes and solid PP time and has since he was drafted.  His best year came with ROR and MAckinnon but hasn't come close to replicating those total since.  Roy also in his last 4 years had near comparable production to Duchene over his last 3 years 

He's having a good start but would you seriously trade a potential future top 4 defenceman on ELC for a middle 6 center that has trouble breaking 60 points and is closer to 30 than 20

I see more than a few comparisons between Roy V Duchene in this manner and I want nothing to do with him

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Duchene hasn't even had the production Roy did during his career and Roy did it in the dead puck era.  Duchene is a 60 or less point center on a team where he gets prime minutes and solid PP time and has since he was drafted.  His best year came with ROR and MAckinnon but hasn't come close to replicating those total since.  Roy also in his last 4 years had near comparable production to Duchene over his last 3 years 

He's having a good start but would you seriously trade a potential future top 4 defenceman on ELC for a middle 6 center that has trouble breaking 60 points and is closer to 30 than 20

I see more than a few comparisons between Roy V Duchene in this manner and I want nothing to do with him

he's topped 50 points 5 times and is a great face-off guy. I would trade Sutter,  Hutton and maybe as high as a 2nd for him but doubt thats even close to what Joe wants. But not OJ, unless Jim has seen something that makes him think he's not the guy he thought he was on draft day. 

1 hour ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

I think if you were to trade for him you make part of the deal him signing an extension first. 

Not possible.  An extension can only be signed next 1 July - that's why teams are reluctant to pay the price to acquire him.

57 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

This is similar to saying "What about Juolevi for Dylan Larkin" or "What about Juolevi for Kucherov"

It doesn't work just because we want it to. 

I wouldn't say Sam Reinhart is as good as Dylan Larkin at this point, or even in the same conversation as Kucherov. If we had to add slightly I'd say I deal could be made, if not and we needed to add a lot more then I'd just rather take my chances with Juolevi. 

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Not possible.  An extension can only be signed next 1 July - that's why teams are reluctant to pay the price to acquire him.

the difference here is we actually have a family connection, Newell is Matt's uncle so if we get to hear under the radar that an extension is desirable then we have a bit of an edge that way. I dunno, the guy could be a great fit with some of our young snipers but Sakic just seems intent on making it a lopsided deal.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the difference here is we actually have a family connection, Newell is Matt's uncle so if we get to hear under the radar that an extension is desirable then we have a bit of an edge that way. I dunno, the guy could be a great fit with some of our young snipers but Sakic just seems intent on making it a lopsided deal.

Wouldn't the Canucks get in trouble though.  Not certain it's a risk they should take.

46 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Kamenev is who we're interested in, not Duchene.

Nashville is really high on Kamenev and were hoping he'd make the team out of camp.  He's not quite ready but he's getting there and maybe later in the season.   

If Sakic was willing to trade Duchene for Juolevi straight up right now I'd do it, pump up Duchenes stats and trade him to a contender at the deadline for a 1st, and prospects. That's what he(Sakic) should be doing in the first place. Why trade him now and get less for him? OJ is not looking like a top 5 pick right now compared to his draft class either. I want him to succeed but hes not really showing that he can be anything like he was projected to become at this point. Sergachev has 8 points in 9 games in the NHL, McAvoy ppg NHL, Chychurn is playing in the NHL etc. . I know it's still early, but there's always the possibility that he can trend as pouliot did which would suck. 

1 hour ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

Cant sign until current contract is in last year so there is no way sadly or it would make it worth it I agree. 

Archived