The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Matt Duchene

12 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Earlier this year Kypreos reported that Sakic wanted Galchenyuk, Sergachev and a 1st from Montreal for Duchene.  That's the level of insanity we're talking here. No wonder a deal hasn't been done. 

Jeez Sakic is insane if he thinks he’ll get anything close to that for Duchene. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

That's why you gotta respect Benning for getting deals done. He doesn't make insane asks, he finds good hockey trades with under-appreciated assets. 

6 hours ago, Pears said:

sakic has been playing a mike gillis with duchene.  hes lucky he hasn't been fired for taking forever.  I'm sure its stressful on the owners alway beening asked... are you close???? have you traded him yet?? perhaps another tire fire season will force someone's hand. i personally don't think sakic has done that well as a gm.

hes gotten lucky in who hes drafted but hes dropped the ball in so many other ways.  that soderberg contract should of been indication enough.  joe sakic is no Stevie-Y.   

sorry Burnaby joe.  but you have failed the test. 

One thing has always made me wonder about this.... Why on earth is Matt Duchene so disgruntled about playing for Colorado when this was his childhood team and he was absolutely thru the moon about being drafted by them? He had all the posters on his walls. Watched them win cups as a kid. All of a sudden he doesn't wanna be there to turn it around?! Something about this really doesn't feel right.... Why?! It makes no frigging sense. I know if I were ever good enough at hockey to play for the Canucks or even work for the organization, I would bleed whatever our colours were, are or will be and do everything I could to help them win. You don't just drop your team like that without a damn good reason.

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

One thing has always made me wonder about this.... Why on earth is Matt Duchene so disgruntled about playing for Colorado when this was his childhood team and he was absolutely thru the moon about being drafted by them? He had all the posters on his walls. Watched them win cups as a kid. All of a sudden he doesn't wanna be there to turn it around?! Something about this really doesn't feel right.... Why?! It makes no frigging sense. I know if I were ever good enough at hockey to play for the Canucks or even work for the organization, I would bleed whatever our colours were, are or will be and do everything I could to help them win. You don't just drop your team like that without a damn good reason.

Duchene didn't ask to be traded but when the team struggled Sakic made it known that Duchene was available.  How do you want him to feel when he knows Sakic doesn't see him as part of their future.  

2 hours ago, mll said:

Duchene didn't ask to be traded but when the team struggled Sakic made it known that Duchene was available.  How do you want him to feel when he knows Sakic doesn't see him as part of their future.  

He's a professional making millions playing a sport.  It's business and if hes disgruntled about that then we don't want him anyway

3 hours ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

He's a professional making millions playing a sport.  It's business and if hes disgruntled about that then we don't want him anyway

Remember how Kyle Turris was a major nuisance to Phoenix? I would have taken him for sure. He’s rejuvenated his career since getting traded to Ottawa.

Most disgruntled players, once traded, go on to have a normal career.

This “making millions playing a sport “ argument is misleading. One is still at work with their peers and bosses. Millions or not, if your boss doesn’t believe in you, it’s that much harder to perform.

6 hours ago, mll said:

I'm sorry. That reasoning just does not cut it with me. It's different when the team is on a known downswing, but Colorado...shouldn't be doing bad. That team is poisoned and the only way to fix it is to extract said poison.

27 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

I'm sorry. That reasoning just does not cut it with me. It's different when the team is on a known downswing, but Colorado...shouldn't be doing bad. That team is poisoned and the only way to fix it is to extract said poison.

It's a toxic situation to be sure. But one entirely of Sakic's making. 

On 10/11/2017 at 7:46 PM, Rush17 said:

sakic has been playing a mike gillis with duchene.  hes lucky he hasn't been fired for taking forever.  I'm sure its stressful on the owners alway beening asked... are you close???? have you traded him yet?? perhaps another tire fire season will force someone's hand. i personally don't think sakic has done that well as a gm.

hes gotten lucky in who hes drafted but hes dropped the ball in so many other ways.  that soderberg contract should of been indication enough.  joe sakic is no Stevie-Y.   

sorry Burnaby joe.  but you have failed the test. 

I think Colorado made the same mistake that Edmonton, Buffalo and Toronto made (despite their turnaround - I'm referring to their earlier approach - not unlike Edmonton's).

Colorado had the gift of multiples of high picks - but they built a team around shiny forwards.  As did the Coil.  As have Buffalo.

What do those teams all have in common.  "Elite" high pick forwards - multiples of them - but bluelines that lagged way behind, among the worst in the NHL.

Colorado - still - Duchene, McKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, and now Yakupov - while perhaps their best defenseman - Barrie - could be considered a fourth forward.  Beyond that they have the lonely Erik Johnson and a bunch of question marks - seemingly year after year.

And now they're apparently shopping Duchene...in order to add.....another forward?  Really?  Apparently didn't learn from the Edmonton experience / what a difference adding an Adam Larsson has made to that team.

Edmonton has made moves to address this - dealing one of their first overall picks, throwing multiple high picks at another busted high pick D, but generally throwing enough attention and resources at it to remedy the problem.  Likewise, Toronto threw a $60 million coach at the problem and imo Babcock has been highly effective in turning an average blueline into a good one and a decent team into a playoff club in short order.

But these franchises that have had the gifts of multiples of high picks all followed a common course of 'building' around two/three/four shiny forwards, while icing a highly mediocre remainder of their lineups - and spent years wallowing in mediocrity as a result -with the additional cost of crashing cultures.  Edmonton and Toronto appear to have recovered theirs - in large part by lotteries - but also by building an actual team from back to front - there's no real way around that in the end.

what we need is goals.  one would think duchene in a fresh rink might help with those extra points.  

but do we go grab him and essentially eliminate a top 6 lw position for our many LW prospects?  

I know goldie can play rw, but dalhen? what about some of the other guys? granny eriksson? 

if it makes sense let's flip hutton + and get us some goals.  im just curious if going from 1 bottom feeder to potenntially another is what duchene wants. being part of this young core though would be exciting.

I have said it before, they have missed their window to get any serious return for Duchene.

He is only under contract for this season and next, then a UFA.  No sane GM will mortgage their future for a guy who is not under club control long term.

The next window to get a good (but not great) return is after July 1st when a team can do a sign and trade so they know his cost and term going forward.

Also as of now, he is not performing to his current contract, so that has to be considered.

I think a lot of folks have been unfair to him.  He never asked for a trade or refused to play.  Sakic made is publicly clear league wide that he was intending to trade him... more than a year ago.  Then hasn't pulled the trigger.  So a player is sitting there knowing he isn't in the long term plans of the team and kind of stuck in limbo waiting for the shoe to drop.

If I were Rutherford, I'd look long and hard at getting Duchene with 50% retention. That would be a helluva "3rd line center" to take 2 more runs with. And him, Kessel, and Hagelin would skate circles around the opposition.

Not sure if they have the pieces to do it though. Think Avs would want something more than just (late) picks. Sprong is really the only "A" prospect. And money would have to go out of Pitts too. 

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

what we need is goals.  one would think duchene in a fresh rink might help with those extra points.  

but do we go grab him and essentially eliminate a top 6 lw position for our many LW prospects?  

I know goldie can play rw, but dalhen? what about some of the other guys? granny eriksson? 

if it makes sense let's flip hutton + and get us some goals.  im just curious if going from 1 bottom feeder to potenntially another is what duchene wants. being part of this young core though would be exciting.

I agree. Hutton, a prospect and a pick for Duchene and say take it or leave it. 

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Considering they've already turned down better offers. I assume they leave it 

Considering Sakic’s absurd asking price for Duchene which all have been turned down, I assume they won’t get anything much better than that. 

16 minutes ago, Pears said:

Considering Sakic’s absurd asking price for Duchene which all have been turned down, I assume they won’t get anything much better than that. 

We'll have to wait and see. But if he didn't take Hamonic a 1st and a prospect. He's not going to take Hutton as the centrepiece of a trade . Even if he's overplayed his hand he can still get better than that (unless the pick is a 1st and the prospect is on of Vancouvers best, so NOT Subban) 

Who cares what Sakic would want from Vancouver? Duchene alone isn't going to make us a legitimate playoff team. Why would we give up young assets simply to rise to the level of mediocre, thereby hampering our ability to acquire elite talent at the draft?

Duchene is the LAST thing we need.

Archived