The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Matt Duchene

well then doubt we trade with them as two and a 2nd are young up and comers hat should be good NHL players

far as I see it if they want more they can go pound sand

others teams will say he wants out and you need to trade him so we are giving you less

the more time they wait the less chance of then getting what they want unless they wait till TDL!

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

They've reportedly turned down much better offers than that.  Spare parts isn't going to get it done. 

Hutton is a middle 4 dman, Gaudette is a promising, prospect and high 2nd rounder in a strong draft ('18) is a good pick.  I don't call any of that 'spare parts'.

Duchene is a great sniper, but he is approaching 27yrs old and should go to a contending team.

The Canucks have some similar prospects coming along (Boeser, Patterssen) and to a lesser degree (Dahlen, Goldy).  As a rebuilding team, I think it is better to wait and see how the prospects are developing before making decisions around adding any high value players or long term contracts. 

By the time this team is ready to join the contenders, Duchene will be heading in his 30's.  He would end up being a (very highly paid; both in $ and players traded) placeholder.

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Hutton is a middle 4 dman, Gaudette is a promising, prospect and high 2nd rounder in a strong draft ('18) is a good pick.  I don't call any of that 'spare parts'.

Duchene is a great sniper, but he is approaching 27yrs old and should go to a contending team.

The Canucks have some similar prospects coming along (Boeser, Patterssen) and to a lesser degree (Dahlen, Goldy).  As a rebuilding team, I think it is better to wait and see how the prospects are developing before making decisions around adding any high value players or long term contracts. 

By the time this team is ready to join the contenders, Duchene will be heading in his 30's.  He would end up being a (very highly paid; both in $ and players traded) placeholder.

My point is they've already turned down Hamonic, a 1st and a prospect.  If that's not going to get it done. Hutton Guadette and a 2nd certainly won't 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

My point is they've already turned down Hamonic, a 1st and a prospect.  If that's not going to get it done. Hutton Guadette and a 2nd certainly won't 

Wow... turned down Hamonic 1st and a prospect? 

Hamonic landed a 1st and two 2nds himself... is there any source to this comment? 

If Sakic said no to that, then there's no deal possible.

Been following these forums from years, finally decided to sign up! IMO,  we really don't need him, we have quite a few promising prospects for once in what seems a decade. With a few contracts done July 1st, JB can look at some younger guys as free agents instead. We have a good record for reclamation projects, so makes more sense to keep our youth and just roll with it.

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Even though I agree, that likely wouldn't get it done, I wouldn't want to give them Gaudette anyway. By the time we're actually contending again, we could really use him. And Duchene will be on the wrong side of 30.

1 hour ago, Cup2021 said:

Been following these forums from years, finally decided to sign up! IMO,  we really don't need him, we have quite a few promising prospects for once in what seems a decade. With a few contracts done July 1st, JB can look at some younger guys as free agents instead. We have a good record for reclamation projects, so makes more sense to keep our youth and just roll with it.

Welcome, have a +1 :)

Before all the free agent additions I may have seen a need for Duchene, but not anymore.  Gagner cost only $3MM and no picks or players going the other way.  Maybe he isn't Duchene, but is Duchene even Duchene anymore?  The last 3 seasons he had 55, 59 and 41 points respectively.  

Gaudette is on his way, maybe by the end of this season.  Pettersen is a couple of years away.  No more addition by subtraction let's see what JB and the next group of players can do.  This team is a few years away from being a potential playoff team anyways.

19 hours ago, Cup2021 said:

Nice first post. 

I agree with this assessment. A rebuilding team shouldn't be looking to trade prospects and picks for older players. That is my definition of going full Milbury and the result is always a team that sis spinning out on the ice and never getting better. 

6 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Nice first post. 

I agree with this assessment. A rebuilding team shouldn't be looking to trade prospects and picks for older players. That is my definition of going full Milbury and the result is always a team that sis spinning out on the ice and never getting better. 

I agree, but (of course Sakic would not accept) at what price would you acquire Duchene?  Would we give up Hutton and a second?

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree, but (of course Sakic would not accept) at what price would you acquire Duchene?  Would we give up Hutton and a second?

i would give more than hutton & a 2nd. We would like need to move atleast 1 forward going back also

21 hours ago, apollo said:

Wow... turned down Hamonic 1st and a prospect? 

Hamonic landed a 1st and two 2nds himself... is there any source to this comment? 

If Sakic said no to that, then there's no deal possible.

It was reported on tsn. Sakic apparently wanted "much more"

Jun 30, 2017

Report: Isles offered Hamonic, top pick and prospect for Duchene

TSN.ca Staff

•  

Matt Duchene

Matt Duchene , The Canadian Press

Before trading Travis Hamonic to the Calgary Flames for three draft picks, the New York Islanders reportedly offered him a major package to the Colorado Avalanche.

Arthur Staple of Newsday reports Thursday the Islanders offered Hamonic, a first-round pick and a prospect to the Avalanche for Matt Duchene before the NHL draft, but general manager Joe Sakic wanted "much more" for Duchene. Staple notes prospect Matthew Barzal, selected 16th overall in 2015, was not offered in any deal.

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It was reported on tsn. Sakic apparently wanted "much more"

Jun 30, 2017

Report: Isles offered Hamonic, top pick and prospect for Duchene

TSN.ca Staff

•  

Matt Duchene

Matt Duchene , The Canadian Press

Before trading Travis Hamonic to the Calgary Flames for three draft picks, the New York Islanders reportedly offered him a major package to the Colorado Avalanche.

Arthur Staple of Newsday reports Thursday the Islanders offered Hamonic, a first-round pick and a prospect to the Avalanche for Matt Duchene before the NHL draft, but general manager Joe Sakic wanted "much more" for Duchene. Staple notes prospect Matthew Barzal, selected 16th overall in 2015, was not offered in any deal.

"much more".... THAN THAT?! 

Archived