The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Las Vegas - Active Shooter in Mandalay Bay (Updated - 59 Dead, 500+ Injured)

trek

Just now, Lancaster said:

It just depends on your perspective.  

Each gun operates differently, each with different quality and stuff.  Maybe you first purchase some Chinese built gun... and while it works, it's kinda crappy in quality.  It doesn't shoot straight, difficult to clean, etc.  So you decide to get a newer gun, similar but better..... but you don't sell your old one because the resale value is low, so now you have 2 (or more) guns.  Maybe that process goes a few times more.  

There are many different ammo with different feel to them.  Someday you just wanna shoot rabbits that digs up your garden, so you have .22lr guns.  The ammo are cheap, so you get a handgun with that same ammo, maybe a couple of more guns for when you go hunting/target shooting with your kids.  

You want to shoot long range... so you get some cheaper 7.62x54 ammo.

Different ammo have different prices and the prices can fluctuate a lot.  You have an AK-47... but their ammo is now very expensive, so you switch to the AR-15.... but it doesn't mean you throw your other gun away, since prices can change later.  

Then there are collectors.....

To summarize... not everyone with double digit numbers are some crazy prepper.... most are just enthusiasts.

A gun enthusiast.  A person who collects weapons intended to kill people and the ammo they require.  I know quite a few of them.  They're by and large good people.  But they're not normal.  At all.  It takes a certain mentality to collect those kinds of items honestly.

My grandma collected Elvis commemorative plates.

My mom collects swarovski figurines

I collected hockey cards

Teddy collected sub machine guns and long range rifles.

Just for perspective

1 minute ago, diesel_3 said:

Nope, I wouldn't mind either....Think about how many people would whine and cry over an extra inconvenience about metal detectors in hotels.

Summarized

The terrorists have won.  There is no freedom in America anymore.  Everything will require a security screening or a user fee and background check.

Just now, diesel_3 said:

Nope, I wouldn't mind either....Think about how many people would whine and cry over an extra inconvenience about metal detectors in hotels.

The luggage is also a problem. You are going to have to include baggage screening like the ones they have at airports.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Summarized

The terrorists have won.  There is no freedom in America anymore.  Everything will require a security screening or a user fee and background check.

"Ya, i'll get a venti Americano, please"

"Sure thing, that will be 10 minutes, just have to run the finished drink through our new poison detector scanning system that gives you 100% certainty that your drink from Starbucks was not laced with anything."

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Way to miss the point completely.  Please read the entire post, not just part of it.

I've never owned any gun, handgun, or rifle. I didn't miss any point you're making. How is a woman's choice of a handbag even comparable to you buying, or your choice of different guns?

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A gun enthusiast.  A person who collects weapons intended to kill people and the ammo they require.  I know quite a few of them.  They're by and large good people.  But they're not normal.  At all.  It takes a certain mentality to collect those kinds of items honestly.

My grandma collected Elvis commemorative plates.

My mom collects swarovski figurines

I collected hockey cards

Teddy collected sub machine guns and long range rifles.

Just for perspective

I'm just curious where you are meeting these people....

For myself, I just want to collect guns... but I just want to shoot targets.  Shooting at other people has never cross my mind.  I'm not a cop and I'm not a soldier... nor do I wish to pretend to be one.  

4 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

"Ya, i'll get a venti Americano, please"

"Sure thing, that will be 10 minutes, just have to run the finished drink through our new poison detector scanning system that gives you 100% certainty that your drink from Starbucks was not laced with anything."

:lol::lol:

Might not be a bad idea to have a total shut down of white males entering in to the US until we figure out what the hell is going on here :P

3 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I've never owned any gun, handgun, or rifle. I didn't miss any point you're making. How is a woman's choice of a handbag even comparable to you buying different guns?

Ok, I'll break it down for you since, you seem to have difficulty understanding what I'm writing.

There are different categories for guns.  There is no one generic ammo or a generic gun.

Handguns, bolt-actions, and semi-automatic doesn't all use the same type of ammo.  

Each category has different purposes and range.  

If you want to shoot long distance, you probably need a bolt-action.  If you want to shoot medium, probably a semi-auto.  Handgun if you want handguns.  

It's called choice.  You're allowed to have different items for different purposes.  While all the guns are listed under "firearms", they're not all the same.  

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

For myself, I just want to collect guns... but I just want to shoot targets.  Shooting at other people has never cross my mind.  I'm not a cop and I'm not a soldier... nor do I wish to pretend to be one.  

I want to blow things up.  Why can I not collect C4, Ammonium Nitrate, grenades and Anti Personnel land mines?  I mean I don't want to hurt anyone I want to simply watch things splode.  Blowing up people has never crossed my mind, I'm not a cop or a soldier nor do I wish to pretend to be one.

See how that sounds....Hand bags don't hurt people.  Figurines don't hurt people.  Hockey cards don't hurt people.  Guns will kill people.  It's what they're designed for.  Allowing people to collect items that are literally manufactured for the sole purpose of KILLING things seems frigging stupid to me.  Always has.

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I know quite a few gun collectors that are the same as you, were never police officers or in the military...They just enjoy owning and shooting guns for sport. They take personal pride in a collection, load their own rounds and are usually very proficient with safety and proper weapon handling.

8 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

The issue with hotels is there are major privacy issues involved in what you're proposing. Allowing random hotel clerks to search through luggage wouldn't go over so well with many people. 

For practical reasons it'd also be impossible. Do you really expect a hotel in Vegas to be able to search every person every time they enter a hotel? Have you been to Vegas? During busy times, there are tens of thousands of people entering each hotel every hour. Even if they searched luggage when people checked in, there'd be nothing to stop someone from bringing in weapons later. 

2 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Get a life.   Everywhere I look online seems there is a huge group of LOSERS almost cheering that it was a white guy to push their racist agenda.

The moment this world can quit with the finger pointing and racism is the moment this world can grow.  People like you are part of the problem.  Not part of the solution.

Funny thing, you guys push the muslim label and the poc label. Now that you get called out on it all of a sudden you feel victimized. 

Imagine how we feel all the time. I don't want any terrorism, I want gun control and a peaceful world

Okay so. Firstly I’d like to say my condolences to the victims, thoughts and prayers to all affected. 

Secondly, I have friends that I’ve gotten to know through social media. I’ve never met them before, but we became friends over our interests. We’ve all become close friends, and even though we all live thousands of km’s away, we still consider ourselves close friends. One of them was there yesterday, at the concert. He was there and went through it all, he managed to get to safety and not get injured, thank god. He could’ve died, but he didn’t. And the way we found out he was safe was because he logged in to Twitter and messaged everyone in our group chat saying he was okay. But what happened with him kind of made me realize something and I wanted to say this. 

Even though a lot of us don’t know each other, we’re not close friends, or even friends at all. We’re still here together, talking and joking and learning about the one interest we all have on this site: Hockey. I’ve laughed many times from various posts and threads people make about the Canucks or about hockey in general. I’ve learnt many things both hockey related and non hockey related through various posts and threads. We’re all here together, but someone here could’ve been at Vegas yesterday. Someone here could’ve been one of the victims and we wouldn’t know. So I’d just like to say that even though we don’t know each other and even though a few of us have different views on certain things, I love you all <3. 

Make fun of me if you want, I don’t care. I just wanted to say this because I care about people, even people I don’t know and haven’t met. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I want to blow things up.  Why can I not collect C4, Ammonium Nitrate, grenades and Anti Personnel land mines?  I mean I don't want to hurt anyone I want to simply watch things splode.  Blowing up people has never crossed my mind, I'm not a cop or a soldier nor do I wish to pretend to be one.

See how that sounds....Hand bags don't hurt people.  Figurines don't hurt people.  Hockey cards don't hurt people.  Guns will kill people.  It's what they're designed for.  Allowing people to collect items that are literally manufactured for the sole purpose of KILLING things seems frigging stupid to me.  Always has.

Firearms are for target shooting.  

Where's your line then?  Spears and swords are designed to kill as well.... martial arts are for injuring others... so they should all be banned.  

Degree of devastation doesn't change the ultimate purpose, right?

As for explosives... it's way harder to find places to safely detonate them.  People, wildlife, private property, etc.  

Just have to say this as a hunter/gun owner of a very specific type

I own two Thompson center impact muzzle loaders for hunting.  1 shot 1 minute reload.

If you need more than that to hunt you're either a terrible hunter or like to shoot things.  If you need to collect weapons that do more than that.  You're not a normal person.

I hunt for my food, have since I was a kid.  I don't enjoy killing anything, I don;t enjoy owning guns.  But I can't bow hunt anymore after my injury.  NOBODY needs to collect weapons with repeating action, semi automatic capabilities or anything of that nature.  That's my opinion and my opinion only.

If everyone was restricted to muzzle loaders...we wouldn't see these kinds of events though so hey.  What do I know

Just now, taxi said:

The issue with hotels is there are major privacy issues involved in what you're proposing. Allowing random hotel clerks to search through luggage wouldn't go over so well with many people. 

For practical reasons it'd also be impossible. Do you really expect a hotel in Vegas to be able to search every person every time they enter a hotel? Have you been to Vegas? During busy times, there are tens of thousands of people entering each hotel every hour. Even if they searched luggage when people checked in, there'd be nothing to stop someone from bringing in weapons later. 

Oh, I know that..I wasn't saying it HAS to be done.

I have been to Vegas, yes....and most people there staying at a hotel are there to wind down, gamble, drink, have fun because it's VEGAS BABY!

Practicality of it would be brutal, hotels would probably have to hire more staff so that they have an efficient assembly line of check-in clerks then security staff to go through bags, it would be a logistical nightmare but who knows what direction they will take after something like this?

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Firearms are for target shooting.  

Where's your line then?  Spears and swords are designed to kill as well.... martial arts are for injuring others... so they should all be banned.  

Degree of devastation doesn't change the ultimate purpose, right?

As for explosives... it's way harder to find places to safely detonate them.  People, wildlife, private property, etc.  

Spears and swords are for killing too

Ya ever see a mass murder of able bodied people with a spear or sword from a 32nd story window?  Degree of devastation DOES change the dynamic.  If you can murder 58+ people without ever being seen by them from a vantage point in which without armed entry is impossible to get to...it says something pretty clear

Just answer that one if you can please.

But I like to collect explosives and blow things up.  Why can't i?  I can go to the woods and use them.  I'm responsible....(again see how stupid that sounds)

7 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Apparently thd shooter's companion was in a different country during the shooting. So who ws the woman that was supposedly taunting the crowd that they were all gonna die? Did they find her?

It could always just be some crazy nutter that is spewing this stuff to random people (coincidence). Lots of strange characters in Vegas. 

Archived