The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Las Vegas - Active Shooter in Mandalay Bay (Updated - 59 Dead, 500+ Injured)

trek

19 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

HOW DOES SOMEONE GET INTO A HOTEL WITH 10 GUNS???   This is pretty f'd up.

When you do a detailed strip of any rifle, light machine gun, general purpose machine gun, etc...The biggest part of the weapon that can't be taken a part any further is always the barrel. When we would detail strip our C7's for cleaning, you could almost pack everything in to a small backpack, that could include your magazines and spare ammo. Even on a GPMG, the barrel is still less than a meter, easily concealable in standard luggage.

Just now, diesel_3 said:

When you do a detailed strip of any rifle, light machine gun, general purpose machine gun, etc...The biggest part of the weapon that can't be taken a part any further is always the barrel. When we would detail strip our C7's for cleaning, you could almost pack everything in to a small backpack, that could include your magazines and spare ammo. Even on a GPMG, the barrel is still less than a meter, easily concealable in standard luggage.

Small backpack?

I've seen fully automatic sub machine guns stripped down in to large fanny packs.  It's frightening really how much potential for carnage someone can carry on their person without needing an actual bag of any kind

Totally nuts! I had just gotten back up to Canada on Saturday, but I know people who were at that concert.

One of them, someone I've known for about 5 years, was loading people into the back of his truck to take to hospital. His girlfriend got some really disturbing first hand video of the whole thing.

Just really crazy. So far, all friends we have in town have marked as safe on Facebook.

15 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

"Arsenal" is a relative term.  

I'm hoping to get a handgun, a bolt-action, and a semi-auto or two as well.  That's already 3-4 guns.  Sounds excessive to some, but they're in different categories.  

It's not too different for women saying they need multiple handbags.  One for carrying lots of stuff, one for night out at the club, one for fancy parties, one for every day use, etc.  

Excessive for some may be common sense for others.  

No 3-4 is not something I would consider an arsenal. Many gun owners are hunters as well and for that you need a rifle, maybe two. A handgun is probably a given. If you consider the numbers though that's 150mil guns for 9 mil people, that's more than 15 guns per person on average.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Small backpack?

I've seen fully automatic sub machine guns stripped down in to large fanny packs.  It's frightening really how much potential for carnage someone can carry on their person without needing an actual bag of any kind

Yes, i'm talking light machine guns and standard assault rifles.

Of course you could break down a sub-machine gun and fit it into a fanny pack, you could break down a small .22 pistol and hide parts INSIDE of you if you were really serious about it.

EDIT: Just saw your last part, hippy....exactly where I was going with it!

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Totally nuts! I had just gotten back up to Canada on Saturday, but I know people who were at that concert.

One of them, someone I've known for about 5 years, was loading people into the back of his truck to take to hospital. His girlfriend got some really disturbing first hand video of the whole thing.

Just really crazy. So far, all friends we have in town have marked as safe on Facebook.

Glad you are safe mate, as are your friends/acquaintances. From what I hear PTSD from such an event also affects people for a long time. I truly hope that everyone can recover from this. 

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I'm hoping to get a handgun, a bolt-action, and a semi-auto or two as well.  That's already 3-4 guns.  Sounds excessive to some, but they're in different categories.  

It's not too different for women saying they need multiple handbags.  One for carrying lots of stuff, one for night out at the club, one for fancy parties, one for every day use, etc.  

It kind of is, seeing as handbags don't have the potential to kill people.

It isn't necessary to own any semi-automatic weapon.

2 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

So does this guy get labelled a terrorist? or nah..

He is white so probably not. Everyone jumps to assume on media it was a muslim, but fact check more "white people" kill others but y'all have become so brainwashed that everyone thinks its a muslim

I sure hope so, if I was there I certainly would have been terrified.    I cannot imagine the terror those poor people felt.    

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/353426-fbi-las-vegas-shooting-has-no-connection-with-international-terrorist-group

The FBI said Monday the deadly mass shooting in Las Vegas had no connection with an international terrorist group.

"We have determined, to this point, no connection with an international terrorist group," an FBI special agent said Monday. "As this investigation continues, we will continue to work with our partners to ensure that this is factually, thoroughly and absolutely investigated, to be able to bring comfort and peace back to this community."

At least 58 people are dead and hundreds are injured after a gunman opened fire at a country music festival in Las Vegas.

The suspected gunman was identified as Stephen Paddock, a Nevada resident. He was found dead in his hotel room.

President Trump on Monday called the mass shooting an "act of pure evil" and announced he would visit the grief-stricken city later this week.

“We join together in sadness, shock and grief,” Trump said at the White House. “It was an act of pure evil.”

Earlier on Monday, reports emerged that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria had claimed responsibility for the attack, without providing evidence to support the claim. 

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

Glad you are safe mate, as are your friends/acquaintances. From what I hear PTSD from such an event also affects people for a long time. I truly hope that everyone can recover from this. 

Thanks, really crazy, have been exactly where it happened a number of times.

The thing about this attack is it's hard to understand his motives, I mean a white guy killing people at a country music concert, seems to me that isn't racially motivated at least. That's the frightening kind of terrorism IMO, the one with very unclear motives.

1 minute ago, canuckster19 said:

The thing about this attack is it's hard to understand his motives, I mean a white guy killing people at a country music concert, seems to me that isn't racially motivated at least. That's the frightening kind of terrorism IMO, the one with very unclear motives.

No race or religion has a corner on crazy. There are crazy people everywhere.

9 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Yes, i'm talking light machine guns and standard assault rifles.

Of course you could break down a sub-machine gun and fit it into a fanny pack, you could break down a small .22 pistol and hide parts INSIDE of you if you were really serious about it.

EDIT: Just saw your last part, hippy....exactly where I was going with it!

when I lived in Nevada I attended a few gun shows and one of the booths was showing people how to break weapons down for travel and concealment.

Watching him break down an AR-15 and carry it on him seamlessly was ridiculous.  No tell tale bulges nothing.  A baretta in to basically his socks and pockets.

He added before each display that "this is only for states that allow concelament and or don't allow open carry"

There's no way to stop people from transporting small arsenals like this wacko did sadly.  At all.  Add X-rays and all of a sudden room costs sky rocket.

But knowing that this happened in a Vegas hotel, and how Trump's vegas location is only 3 blocks away I am very very curious to see what if anything comes from this

26 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Comparing guns to handbags are we? Wow!!

16 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I go through airports, libraries and museums all the time where there are metal detectors - why not hotels?   Sure wouldn't bother me if this was added to such public situation.   My guess is the concert goers went through metal detectors - ironically.

Just now, Toews said:

No 3-4 is not something I would consider an arsenal. Many gun owners are hunters as well and for that you need a rifle, maybe two. A handgun is probably a given. If you consider the numbers though that's 150mil guns for 9 mil people, that's almost 15 guns per person on average.

It just depends on your perspective.  

Each gun operates differently, each with different quality and stuff.  Maybe you first purchase some Chinese built gun... and while it works, it's kinda crappy in quality.  It doesn't shoot straight, difficult to clean, etc.  So you decide to get a newer gun, similar but better..... but you don't sell your old one because the resale value is low, so now you have 2 (or more) guns.  Maybe that process goes a few times more.  

There are many different ammo with different feel to them.  Someday you just wanna shoot rabbits that digs up your garden, so you have .22lr guns.  The ammo are cheap, so you get a handgun with that same ammo, maybe a couple of more guns for when you go hunting/target shooting with your kids.  

You want to shoot long range... so you get some cheaper 7.62x54 ammo.

Different ammo have different prices and the prices can fluctuate a lot.  You have an AK-47... but their ammo is now very expensive, so you switch to the AR-15.... but it doesn't mean you throw your other gun away, since prices can change later.  

Then there are collectors.....

To summarize... not everyone with double digit numbers are some crazy prepper.... most are just enthusiasts.

14 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

It kind of is, seeing as handbags don't have the potential to kill people.

It isn't necessary to own any semi-automatic weapon.

It's not necessary to own a sport car either, but people do.  

People don't need to give justification or reasons to why they want to have or not have something.  

I know people that collect swords... they're not necessary either.  

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

I go through airports, libraries and museums all the time where there are metal detectors - why not hotels?   Sure wouldn't bother me if this was added to such public situation.   My guess is the concert goers went through metal detectors - ironically.

Nope, I wouldn't mind either....Think about how many people would whine and cry over an extra inconvenience about metal detectors in hotels.

Archived