The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's entirety possible that this core won't gain enough traction in time, and it will be the next one, with a few guys signed long term with this one, that gets us back into contention.

Could be but I like our character and continuity of culture better than EDM's. Benning's also had far better depth drafting.

By all means there's no guarantees the group they're presently assembling makes it to the promise land but I have far more faith in this management than EDM's. Past or present.

• Upvote 2

1-2 more years, and we will be attending the ball.

As posters has rightly mentioned we are thin on D-prospects expected to be top 4 players,

but after another 1-2 drafts, we will probably have the pieces to make deals and trades to fill

whatever spots we my need...

If Pettersson continues he's meteoric rise in the SHL, and a BIG if he can continue it in the NHL, our top line maybe even top two lines should be done.

With the amount of prospects in the system, there should surely be enough to make trades for, if not a bonafide top 1 D-man, at least a top 2-3 Dman.

If tryamkin hadn't bolted, we would already be looking at a strong team. Wouldn't it be wonderful, if JB could pull another Tryamkin like rabbit out of the hat in the 3rd round...

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

1-2 more years, and we will be attending the ball.

As posters has rightly mentioned we are thin on D-prospects expected to be top 4 players,

but after another 1-2 drafts, we will probably have the pieces to make deals and trades to fill

whatever spots we my need...

If Pettersson continues he's meteoric rise in the SHL, and a BIG if he can continue it in the NHL, our top line maybe even top two lines should be done.

With the amount of prospects in the system, there should surely be enough to make trades for, if not a bonafide top 1 D-man, at least a top 2-3 Dman.

If tryamkin hadn't bolted, we would already be looking at a strong team. Wouldn't it be wonderful, if JB could pull another Tryamkin like rabbit out of the hat in the 3rd round...

Or just get our Tryamkin rabbit back in the next couple years.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Could be but I like our character and continuity of culture better than EDM's. Benning's also had far better depth drafting.

By all means there's no guarantees the group they're presently assembling makes it to the promise land but I have far more faith in this management than EDM's. Past or present.

You bet.  Even without the cap building a contender was hard with a big wallet, it didn't gaurantee it, but it sure helped and most of Edmontons first group of guys went elsewhere pursuing their millions which was a big reason they never made things work with all their picks from their glory days core ...

I like our team too, and even more the prospects.  Under the cap we've got a good chance to make it work off the hop, but we still have a ways to go.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

but we still have a ways to go.

Yup. As we agreed earlier, likely another 1-2 seasons before we're realistically pushing for playoffs. As we've seen in the last few years, a lot can be done in that time frame.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yup. As we agreed earlier, likely another 1-2 seasons before we're realistically pushing for playoffs. As we've seen in the last few years, a lot can be done in that time frame.

Definitely.  I believe we will see one of our higher end forward prospects, go to a team rich in young defenseman such as Philadelphia.  Thats the biggest problem area as far as the youth movement goes.  Even with a hail Mary this season and lucky balls ending in Dahlin wouldnt be enough IMO, although it would sure help a lot.  Lind comes to mind, hopefully he keeps it up and maybe we can get a prospect/player that needs another look like Shea Theodore or add something to go for more of a sure thing.  Elder for Sbisa ha ha.

OJ isn't a bust yet but he's not exactly working his way up his draft class either.  I think we need two of Ohlund/Jovonoski/Lumme types before we are back in business, with a solid group around them (Tryamkin coming back would be great) before we become a good team again. 

Goaltending looks promising, and a team can always find a former good goalie/project until something clicks so it's not as worrisome.

Our first line looks sorted IMO.  Boeser with Horvat is enough until Pettersson arrives and who knows he could play on that line.  The rest is not nearly as certain, but Lind is looking pretty good.  Eberle comes to mind as a comparison minus the clutch junior performance but next year he should make the team so who knows.

Cap space won't be an issue as long as Benning learned his lesson with L.E., which I think he did given what he did last summer.  Curiously we will be one of only a few teams that could go after Tavares this summer.   A little less than McDavid is what I think it will take to pry him out and win that auction.  It would allow Horvat to work on becoming a great second line center, and push things ahead at least a year.  

I'd rather wait and not participate ( unless we got him for 8 x6, which given the year he's having and Kopitars hundred million contract is a pipe dream) but wouldn't mind it either.  

Lots to look forward too!

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Definitely.  I believe we will see one of our higher end forward prospects, go to a team rich in young defenseman such as Philadelphia.  Thats the biggest problem area as far as the youth movement goes.  Even with a hail Mary this season and lucky balls ending in Dahlin wouldnt be enough IMO, although it would sure help a lot.  Lind comes to mind, hopefully he keeps it up and maybe we can get a prospect/player that needs another look like Shea Theodore or add something to go for more of a sure thing.  Elder for Sbisa ha ha.

OJ isn't a bust yet but he's not exactly working his way up his draft class either.  I think we need two of Ohlund/Jovonoski/Lumme types before we are back in business, with a solid group around them (Tryamkin coming back would be great) before we become a good team again. 

Goaltending looks promising, and a team can always find a former good goalie/project until something clicks so it's not as worrisome.

Our first line looks sorted IMO.  Boeser with Horvat is enough until Pettersson arrives and who knows he could play on that line.  The rest is not nearly as certain, but Lind is looking pretty good.  Eberle comes to mind as a comparison minus the clutch junior performance but next year he should make the team so who knows.

Cap space won't be an issue as long as Benning learned his lesson with L.E., which I think he did given what he did last summer.  Curiously we will be one of only a few teams that could go after Tavares this summer.   A little less than McDavid is what I think it will take to pry him out and win that auction.  It would allow Horvat to work on becoming a great second line center, and push things ahead at least a year.  

I'd rather wait and not participate ( unless we got him for 8 x6, which given the year he's having and Kopitars hundred million contract is a pipe dream) but wouldn't mind it either.  

Lots to look forward too!

OJ's doing just fine. On pace to break U20 scoring records in Liiga and was arguably FIN's best D in the WJC.

Not. Remotely. Worried.

Between OJ, Pouliot, Stecher, Hutton, Tryamkin (if he comes back), Gudbranson (if we re-sign) and guys like Brisebois, Holme, Chatfield, McEneny etc I think we have a good pool to form a starting point on our future D core. Adding a top D this draft and that future trade (TBD) will certainly help. And those two moves just show how quickly it can got from 'ok :bored:' to 'alright :towel:!' just like that.

Speaking of, I agree at some point we likely move F depth for D. If I had to guess, I'd say Baer in the next couple years when Dahlin etc take his spot. And/or start trading/packaging out vets like Edler, Tanev, MDZ etc for younger guys/picks. 

I'm sure we'll kick tires on Tavares (if he even makes Jul1) but I doubt we land him. And I'm not sure I'd want to commit that much $ for 7 years to a guy that will be 28, as good as he may be. 

Kane is IMO a far more manageable target and represents a possibly more needed skill set, is a year younger and likely won't command the term and certainly not the same $.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

OJ's doing just fine. On pace to break U20 scoring records in Liiga and was arguably FIN's best D in the WJC.

Not. Remotely. Worried.

Between OJ, Pouliot, Stecher, Hutton, Tryamkin (if he comes back), Gudbranson (if we re-sign) and guys like Brisebois, Holme, Chatfield, McEneny etc I think we have a good pool to form a starting point on our future D core. Adding a top D this draft and that future trade (TBD) will certainly help. And those two moves just show how quickly it can got from 'ok :bored:' to 'alright :towel:!' just like that.

Speaking of, I agree at some point we likely move F depth for D. If I had to guess, I'd say Baer in the next couple years when Dahlin etc take his spot. And/or start trading/packaging out vets like Edler, Tanev, MDZ etc for younger guys/picks. 

I'm sure we'll kick tires on Tavares (if he even makes Jul1) but I doubt we land him. And I'm not sure I'd want to commit that much $ for 7 years to a guy that will be 28, as good as he may be. 

Kane is IMO a far more manageable target and represents a possibly more needed skill set, is a year younger and likely won't command the term and certainly not the same $.

If Tryamkin comes back ( he's actually improving which is good ), we trade for a good 2-3 defenseman and draft Dahlin things would turn around and it can happen that fast I agree.   I'm not holding my breath anymore with OJ, after watching McAvoy control the tempo and play Dec. 30 in Ottawa all game long on the top line ( he was their best player IMO, despite the 5-0 shutout by Rask, only one assist, another was taken away though no goal without him taking it all over their zone and making the play) and then watching OJ at the juniors it makes me winch.  He's so far behind MaCovoy and Sergechev (who  also hits, he's a big body) development its  not even debatable.  If he ends up on the team next year and sticks that would be a win for me at this point, don't expect much more than maybe a Tanev 2.0 ( minus injuries, which is ok).

It's hard to get much eye time on him other than the juniors, it's just not enough.  I'm glad he's getting stiffer competition, and will continue most likely next year in the AHL, and it does bode well that he's doing well against it.  I would be overjoyed if he's really the next Tempo N.  in disguise.  Or a Vlasic type, recently voted a top fifty overall player by THN, who btw see a lot of promise in him, before the season had him ranked higher than Boeser in our prospect pool...so what do I know.

Next year at the same time i hope to find this post and add a written apology.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

If Tryamkin comes back ( he's actually improving which is good ), we trade for a good 2-3 defenseman and draft Dahlin things would turn around and it can happen that fast I agree.   I'm not holding my breath anymore with OJ, after watching McAvoy control the tempo and play Dec. 30 in Ottawa all game long on the top line ( he was their best player IMO, despite the 5-0 shutout by Rask, only one assist, another was taken away though no goal without him taking it all over their zone and making the play) and then watching OJ at the juniors it makes me winch.  He's so far behind MaCovoy and Sergechev (who  also hits, he's a big body) development its  not even debatable.  If he ends up on the team next year and sticks that would be a win for me at this point, don't expect much more than maybe a Tanev 2.0 ( minus injuries, which is ok).

It's hard to get much eye time on him other than the juniors, it's just not enough.  I'm glad he's getting stiffer competition, and will continue most likely next year in the AHL, and it does bode well that he's doing well against it.  I would be overjoyed if he's really the next Tempo N.  in disguise.  Or a Vlasic type, recently voted a top fifty overall player by THN, who btw see a lot of promise in him, before the season had him ranked higher than Boeser in our prospect pool...so what do I know.

Next year at the same time i hope to find this post and add a written apology.

Lol he's 19, not 24 :lol: He was always going to take 2-4 years, it's not a race. McAvoy making the NHL sooner =/= Juolevi sucks. Juolevi's basement is basically a 3D. He's trending to a highly competent 2D similar to Tanev but with near double the offense output.

I think he starts in Utica next year, gets call ups with injuries until we move some vet D at the TDL (Edler, MDZ). 

Patience. 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Lol he's 19, not 24 :lol: He was always going to take 2-4 years, it's not a race. McAvoy making the NHL sooner =/= Juolevi sucks. Juolevi's basement is basically a 3D. He's trending to a highly competent 2D similar to Tanev but with near double the offense output.

I think he starts in Utica next year, gets call ups with injuries until we move some vet D at the TDL (Edler, MDZ). 

Patience. 

That's your opinion, IBatch has a different one, I think he rounds into a Ryan Ellis mold before he's 25. No one is right or wrong, we all just have our own opinions and nothing but assumptions to back them up.  Laughing at someone who is simply just stating an opinion only to follow it up with yours doesn't prove anything. Come on JR. that's not the way to have a discussion.

22 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's your opinion, IBatch has a different one, I think he rounds into a Ryan Ellis mold before he's 25. No one is right or wrong, we all just have our own opinions and nothing but assumptions to back them up.  Laughing at someone who is simply just stating an opinion only to follow it up with yours doesn't prove anything. Come on JR. that's not the way to have a discussion.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

How come you seem so certain Tram is gonna come back?

Tram is definitely good enough to be a top 4 in the NHL. 

How often do you see a Russian good enough to be a star in the NHL stay in Russia? 

Unless they've already been in the NHL and have made millions before going back to Russia to finish their careers? 

He's too young and too good to not wanna test himself in the best league in the world. 

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sorry, not chasing my tail with you Forsy. Find another victim for your inanity. 

You can chase your own tail. I’m just calling you out on your BS. You do nothing but make fun of other people’s opinions who differ from yours only to use your own opinion as a rebuttal. Even when people explain it’s just their point of view, you reply with your view but state it as a fact.

Its very troll worthy. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You can chase your own tail. I’m just calling you out on your BS. You do nothing but make fun of other people’s opinions who differ from yours only to use your own opinion as a rebuttal. Even when people explain it’s just their point of view, you reply with your view but state it as a fact.

Its very troll worthy. 

I din't make fun of anyone's opinion actually. I chuckled at notion that a 19 year old kid is basically being written off. Some players take longer to develop and that's ok.

And BTW, we were having a perfectly civil conversation here until you showed up. Nice work as usual.

Now how about you stop derailing the thread with your petty nonsense?

Edited by aGENT

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Patience. 

I think OJ has a chance of making the team if he has a good camp after a summer of conditioning. He knew last year he had basically zero chance of cracking the lineup so I wasn't surprised it wasn't a stellar camp for him, but next year there might actually be a spot for him if he's ready to step up and take it. But sure Utica is a great option too. 

As far as McAvoy goes, the 2 year in college were better for his development than OJ's time in London possibly, so lets see what time in the Fin league does for him. By the stats OJ was Finland's best defensive player at the WJs so that bodes really well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I think OJ has a chance of making the team if he has a good camp after a summer of conditioning. He knew last year he had basically zero chance of cracking the lineup so I wasn't surprised it wasn't a stellar camp for him, but next year there might actually be a spot for him if he's ready to step up and take it. But sure Utica is a great option too. 

As far as McAvoy goes, the 2 year in college were better for his development than OJ's time in London possibly, so lets see what time in the Fin league does for him. By the stats OJ was Finland's best defensive player at the WJs so that bodes really well. 

Without at least 2 moves on that left side (Edler, MDZ or Hutton), there simply isn't room for him. Only other option is that we move Gudbranson (if we can't/he doesn't want to re-sign) or Tanev and then Pouliot plays on the right side. And then we still need to move one of Edler, MDZ or Hutton.

IMO, he's destined to start in Utica unless those things happen almost regardless of his performance. And playing part of the year in Utica certainly won't hurt him and allow him to adjust to N.A. ice.

One of many reasons I'm very for attempting to move Edler to a contender this year with 50% retained to up the return. He's playing well (on a crap team) and is presently healthy. Get while the get'ns good I say. And a contender getting Edler for a run this year and next at $2.5m (even less this year, prorated at TDL) would be a hell of an add. Maybe even packaged with Vanek for an even better return. Question is, will he waive?

Move Edler now to solve our present log jam, OJ starts in Utica and gets call ups with injuries until next TDL when we also move MDZ and he can be recalled full time.

• Cheers 1