The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Without at least 2 moves on that left side (Edler, MDZ or Hutton), there simply isn't room for him. Only other option is that we move Gudbranson (if we can't/he doesn't want to re-sign) or Tanev and then Pouliot plays on the right side. And then we still need to move one of Edler, MDZ or Hutton.

IMO, he's destined to start in Utica unless those things happen almost regardless of his performance. And playing part of the year in Utica certainly won't hurt him and allow him to adjust to N.A. ice.

One of many reasons I'm very for attempting to move Edler to a contender this year with 50% retained to up the return. He's playing well (on a crap team) and is presently healthy. Get while the get'ns good I say. And a contender getting Edler for a run this year and next at $2.5m (even less this year, prorated at TDL) would be a hell of an add. Maybe even packaged with Vanek for an even better return. Question is, will he waive?

Move Edler now to solve our present log jam, OJ starts in Utica and gets call ups with injuries until next TDL when we also move MDZ and he can be recalled full time.

Pouliot being able to play the right side is a nice asset so i was thinking that if one of Edler or Hutton are moved then there's a spot, and he may also make it as the #7 D to begin the year. 

I've never bought into the whole 'Edler won't waive' hysteria, if Jim brought him a trade offer that sent him to a contender I think he'd be happy to do that. I do think its a lot more likely next season though. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Pouliot being able to play the right side is a nice asset so i was thinking that if one of Edler or Hutton are moved then there's a spot, and he may also make it as the #7 D to begin the year. 

I've never bought into the whole 'Edler won't waive' hysteria, if Jim brought him a trade offer that sent him to a contender I think he'd be happy to do that. I do think its a lot more likely next season though. 

No way they stick OJ in the #7 slot. He needs to play, not sit in the press box. He either makes the starting 6 (assuming there's room) or he's in Utica available for recall with injuries IMO. Especially considering waivers and that having him here instead of, say Holm, would likely mean losing a guy (like Holm) on waivers and eroding organizational depth.

Just doesn't make sense.

I don't particularly buy it either. I'm sure he'd prefer to stay here as he's built a life here etc but if the team approached him with a reasonable trade destination (good, contending team, nice city etc) I think he'd at least be open to exploring. Either way he's quite likely on the move in the summer of 2019 anyway...may as well get a head start on picking a solid destination to land (say a nice sunny, contending TBL with a bunch of fellow Swedes on it...).

Edited by aGENT

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No way they stick OJ in the #7 slot. He needs to play, not sit in the press box. He either makes the starting 6 (assuming there's room) or he's in Utica available for recall with injuries IMO. Especially considering waivers and that having him here instead of, say Holm, would likely mean losing a guy (like Holm) on waivers and eroding organizational depth.

Just doesn't make sense.

sure it does. He gets to practice and be with the team which is important, and the way our D injuries go he'd likely get 40 games in anyway. 

Does Holm really have a future here? 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure it does. He gets to practice and be with the team which is important, and the way our D injuries go he'd likely get 40 games in anyway. 

Does Holm really have a future here? 

He can still be recalled to play if we have injuries (which yes, we will). Needs to play.

Team seems to think so. When he's been healthy, he's played VERY well in Utica after a short time to adapt.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He can still be recalled to play if we have injuries (which yes, we will). Needs to play.

Team seems to think so. When he's been healthy, he's played VERY well in Utica after a short time to adapt.

Sure but you can't just look at number of games alone. If OJ could play 40 in the NHL I'd want him to do that over 70 in the AHL simply because of the competition level. But really either way I'm fine whatever route he takes. 

With Holm, if we don't make a trade when is he going to get his chance though? I can't see him sticking around if he doesn't get time this year. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sure but you can't just look at number of games alone. If OJ could play 40 in the NHL I'd want him to do that over 70 in the AHL simply because of the competition level. But really either way I'm fine whatever route he takes. 

With Holm, if we don't make a trade when is he going to get his chance though? I can't see him sticking around if he doesn't get time this year. 

He could still play 30+ 'ish games even starting in Utica. 10'ish games with injuries, 20'ish after the TDL. All while actually playing otherwise in Utica vs sitting in the press box.

Look at history. It's simply not done. Kids need to play to develop. If he's not playing here, he's better off in Utica.

Who knows what Holm does? He might very well get some time after this year's TDL but I think management likes him and he very likely could stick around with the team who's giving him a shot assuming we start opening spots by moving guys.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Without at least 2 moves on that left side (Edler, MDZ or Hutton), there simply isn't room for him. Only other option is that we move Gudbranson (if we can't/he doesn't want to re-sign) or Tanev and then Pouliot plays on the right side. And then we still need to move one of Edler, MDZ or Hutton.

IMO, he's destined to start in Utica unless those things happen almost regardless of his performance. And playing part of the year in Utica certainly won't hurt him and allow him to adjust to N.A. ice.

One of many reasons I'm very for attempting to move Edler to a contender this year with 50% retained to up the return. He's playing well (on a crap team) and is presently healthy. Get while the get'ns good I say. And a contender getting Edler for a run this year and next at $2.5m (even less this year, prorated at TDL) would be a hell of an add. Maybe even packaged with Vanek for an even better return. Question is, will he waive?

Move Edler now to solve our present log jam, OJ starts in Utica and gets call ups with injuries until next TDL when we also move MDZ and he can be recalled full time.

Really like your Edler idea. Another option is take back a Hagelin-type(4mill x 2) contract. Then some goodies get tossed in to the pkg(Sprong?)

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I think we may need to scale this back to 70%.  we are not even close.  stealth tank.. sure 90%

rebuild... long way to go.

Sorry R17..the wailing hoi polloi already had me change title once!

I'm tellin yas now, next fall this team will be too sexy to be stealthy(humongous-big progress..maybe like this yr's Devs)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I think we may need to scale this back to 70%.  we are not even close.  stealth tank.. sure 90%

rebuild... long way to go.

Agreed the defense needs a big overhaul... people need to keep in mind all of our prospects are not going to pan out as you envision either. I say 4 years at least till the team is actually a threat to do damage. 

Just now, Silky mitts said:

Agreed the defense needs a big overhaul... people need to keep in mind all of our prospects are not going to pan out as you envision either. I say 4 years at least till the team is actually a threat to do damage. 

Licking out, and getting Dhalin could complete our rebuild.  We would have (hopefully) a 25 minute dman in a couple years, to go with Juiolevvi, and our other younger d.  Our forward prospects are looking pretty good, and so is our future goaltending.  I think a true elite dman could make a HUGE difference for us.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Licking out, and getting Dhalin could complete our rebuild.  We would have (hopefully) a 25 minute dman in a couple years, to go with Juiolevvi, and our other younger d.  Our forward prospects are looking pretty good, and so is our future goaltending.  I think a true elite dman could make a HUGE difference for us.

I wouldn't say complete Alf but it would for sure be huge for this franchise . The Virtanen pick looks like a huge blunder right now and surely ownership feels the same way, feel like we need another top 6 piece and Ehlers or Nylander would look great right now. Moot point however, past is the past hopefully Jake pans out he still shows flashes. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

"Lick out"?! Is that the opposite of suck?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

20+ minutes per game every game in every situation in Utica is better experience for a prospect than practices, sitting in the press box, and limited games with limited ice time here. It's the very reason they bought their own AHL team. So they could control development there as well as here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

JB needs to stay in 3rd.

Let the Auto-Tank succeed. 

I’d be happy if he made all of his trades right now instead of later and kept the team in the tank. THIS is the year to do it. 

Yes..trades in spades. We're stuck in the Sahara of drought, so go full-on Rommel with the tank!

• Cheers 1