The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

:rolleyes:

Because I don't share some of CDC's ignorant view of him.

So you think he is a useful D man. I think he might have use in the playoffs if the league does what they have done in the past. They allow things to get tougher and put away the "whistles".

We are years away from being a playoff team and he just can't keep up with style of play in the league. Too slow and poor lateral mobility. He can be replace for cheep on the UFA market.  He has been far from impressive and will cost too much to resign. I do not want to see a scenario where our management feels obligated to resign him.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

CO

There is no doubt that JB has made mistakes, but the team today, is a result of the Gillis years to some extent...........

Gillis signed so many NTC/NMC's and it handcuffed the movement of vets, after the 2011 season. A lot of teams were issuing them. Some teams were able to get out of them some teams not!

But it doesn't take much of a search to find the "don't trade the Sedin's and don't trade Burrows posts on here..........people fall in love with players, and the outcry would have been crazy..........

The Luongo/Schnieder fiasco, same thing................big contract, and a mess................

Same thing with Kessler and Schieder fiasco..................

The list goes on and on........................and again these NTC's really hammered us to an extreme.................

Still today...................no don't trade the Sedin's. no don't trade Tanev...........................and it wasn't until after the Edler contract was signed and he declined somewhat, that a larger out cry happened about moving him..............

Sorry, Benning had a mess to figure out, and I am to this day, not sold that he hasn't been held back at some points, by upper management.........................I know, my past employer of 30+ years changed CEO  and he was held back for the first year on any major moves...........................I think this is true with  most company's when there is a changing of the guard.

Benning has mad mistakes.................1 draft pick IMO.........the rest is subjective and has not concluded yet (prospects have not been promoted yet) that in it's self doesn't prove they are bad picks..................

Eriksson, looked good as someone said...................then fell off the cliff.............hardly a Benning fault...................what it he would have scored his last years production, each year? Would the contract have been worth it? What if it had extended the Sedin's years? You can't blame the guy for trying and the signs pointed to success..........

What if we signed Tavares to a 12 million NTC contract and his production falls dramatically? Is that Benning's fault? Don't think so!

Benning has had to rebuild......................so far it looks decent, although, I think his decision to dig out of the basement came too early, but that is my Opinion........

The rebuild is moving along, and my only hope is Benning moves a few vets and picks up a couple more high end picks...............this year!

1 pick? More like 3 Virtanen McCann whom he gave up on and traded for a plug that he will not get anything close to what he gave up for. Not saying juolevi will bust but definitely not bpa if u ain’t going to take the bpa might as well trade down and get more picks.

Eriksson signing is terrible not because of his play but why did we even sign him to begin with? 6 years? So are you rebuilding or are you trying to make the playoff? You don’t sign an aging star at the end of his prime to a gigantic long term contract if you are rebuilding.

he whiffed hard on the hamhuis and vrbata a few years ago when it’s clear we ain’t making the playoff and we let 2 ufa walked for not even a draft pick. 

Benning have done some goods such as filling the farm with prospect even though not much high end talent. But at least there’s some prospect. But other than last trade deadline his asset management have been terrible. His high draft pick choices most are questionable. His ufa signings some are mind boogling. If Ottawa can shop around and trade karlsson then Benning should be shopping every single dman we have and see which ones we can get the best asset for. I’m all for trading tanev if he can bring us back high picks and prospect.. not like he’s part of the future plan anyways when the team resembles anything of a competitive team

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, appleboy said:

So you think he is a useful D man. I think he might have use in the playoffs if the league does what they have done in the past. They allow things to get tougher and put away the "whistles".

We are years away from being a playoff team and he just can't keep up with style of play in the league. Too slow and poor lateral mobility. He can be replace for cheep on the UFA market.  He has been far from impressive and will cost too much to resign. I do not want to see a scenario where our management feels obligated to resign him.

He is a useful d man. He's plenty useful in the regular season as well. 

He skates fine for a D his size and in his role. 

Why replace what we already have...? 

Edited by aGENT

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He is a useful d man. He's plenty useful in the regular season as well. 

He skates fine for a D his size and in his role. 

Why replace what we already have...? 

If he was signed for the next few years at 3.5 no one would be trying to move him. What will it cost to sign him is the worry!

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

If he was signed for the next few years at 3.5 no one would be trying to move him. What will it cost to sign him is the worry!

I prefer to 'worry' about things that actually happen rather than what ifs and maybes. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think if JB trades Tanev, then we've lost our stealth.  

Alfy lamenting the loss of stealth

Prospects providing a surge of wealth

Betwixt & between

Or winnin' like Sheen?

Too obsessed - detrimental to health

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
oops!
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Have we lost our stealth? The purpose of this thread, was to plan sneakin' up & pilfering Dahlin in the dead of night...

The problem is that even with Dahlin we would only be at 50%.

27 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Optimism, Ringo-Lad!(apple in Japanese is Ringo..a certain Richard Starkey even made a TV ad here for apple juice!)

I would say those who suggest we are 91% done are the ones who are optimistic. Extremely optimistic.

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I would say those who suggest we are 91% done are the ones who are optimistic. Extremely optimistic.

Darnitall!.. By June I says we're done.  & then I'll think of a name for the next phase!

Or as Groucho Marx famously uttered, "THOSE are my principles! And if YOU don't like it..well, I have others..."

On 10/3/2017 at 4:33 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Last pre-season thread here..just before we all get our Canucks-fix, for real again. Was thinking of a positive outlook on the current scenario, & kinda wondered how CDC'ers viewed a few recent issues. Since the hierarchy had difficulty, prior to 2017 announcing(officially) our rebuild-status, I started looking at it, in retrospect.

**For ease of further discussion, I'll number a few points here**

1 - First, I'd argue the 'Rebuild' began with trading Schneids. Getting Horvat got the ball rolling. If we'd had CS for longer, we wouldn't have fallen so far down(draft order) in subsequent seasons. So it helped in both ways. I think owners knew then that Lu would ALSO be moving on, but they had to stagger these transactions with a bit of time in between.(long, boring theory, but they were concerned about optics, mostly)

2 -***TORTS!*** In another thread yest, was speculating owners brought him in, perhaps cynically as a sort of creative destruction? Easier to 'put the run' to vets, right? I know many posters(most?) will likely disagree, but it wouldn't surprise me if owners knew they had to cut bait(stars were aging). So they try a high-stakes gamble, with a polarizing figure. They either get an unlikely run, or an exodus of vets, willing to waive NTC's. No waiting for an aging country club atmosphere to fade away.

3 - So around that time, they decided the twins would be the vets to keep(hence, 4 yr deals in Fall, 2013). Virtually all other assets try to recycle into the next wave of talent. The twins were the type to teach youngins dedication to the craft. 

4 - Even in the middle of a rebuild, we landed a PO spot 1 yr. So we didn't obviously & blatantly tank, like the Coilers/Fleas. The other 3 seasons, we were in it 'til the last 20, 30 games, until injuries made the wheels fall off. Hell of a lot more honourable than going into a season with no aim whatsoever, ala Leafs 2 yrs back.

5 - The general consensus here is we're not expecting to make the Spring dance. That seems to be the view of at least 60~70% of posters, I'd guess. ONE more yr of JB working his magic at the draft table is (IMHO) all it'll really take. Starting next yr we should be in business again, at least seriously for a wildcard. Even still, signing a bunch of FA's we're competing, right?(appearances & all that).. Yet it's more likely we'll be flipping some of these guys into younger assets, spring 2018 or '19...

So by June 2018(about 1800 days/rebuild done), suggesting here we'll be firmly into the development/progression stage(rates basically vary for that), as opposed to scrambling & trying to accumulate young assets frantically. We'll have a lot of cap to attract freebies, & a rising team for pretty decent FA persuasion.

Looking forward from a draft 2013 perspective, I'd say almost ALL significant team moves over that period(Utica too, being established), has worked out really, quite nicely overall. We shouldn't b*tch & moan about matters like the daft lotto. We don't NEED any ballyhooed stars. They're building a cohesive group of kids that'll be a treat to watch climb to the top.

This list of drivel is what you call facts.

1) They were forced into trading Schnides because they were stuck with too many bad contracts and the drop in salary cap was about to kill them. They had to give up a franchise goal tender for peanuts on the dollar.

2) Torts was a desperate attempt forced on Gillis by the owners to resurrect the team because they were beginning to see that the advice to blow the club up after 2011 was right.

3) To resign the twins and turn the rest into assets would of been a great idea but they forgot or just were too inept to turn the other vets into assets.

4) By trying to build on the fly we missed out on two very deep drafts. We should have been accumulating picks for those drafts. That win as you go agenda has set us behind.

5) I don't even know what to say you about the idea that by the end of this years draft we will have completed our rebuild. I guess the only solution is to take this discussion up in a few years.

Nothing you say here is based on facts. It is based on rumors and your personal perception on how things have happened. As you can see I can do the same thing!

That's the nice thing about sites like this. None of us lose our jobs if what we say dosen't pan out.:rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, appleboy said:

This list of drivel is what you call facts.

1) They were forced into trading Schnides because they were stuck with too many bad contracts and the drop in salary cap was about to kill them. They had to give up a franchise goal tender for peanuts on the dollar.

2) Torts was a desperate attempt forced on Gillis by the owners to resurrect the team because they were beginning to see that the advice to blow the club up after 2011 was right.

3) To resign the twins and turn the rest into assets would of been a great idea but they forgot or just were too inept to turn the other vets into assets.

4) By trying to build on the fly we missed out on two very deep drafts. We should have been accumulating picks for those drafts. That win as you go agenda has set us behind.

5) I don't even know what to say you about the idea that by the end of this years draft we will have completed our rebuild. I guess the only solution is to take this discussion up in a few years.

Nothing you say here is based on facts. It is based on rumors and your personal perception on how things have happened. As you can see I can do the same thing!

That's the nice thing about sites like this. None of us lose our jobs if what we say dosen't pan out.:rolleyes:

Hmm..I like good-natured discussion about this team.

With the first few words, it appears you prefer a different style of communication. Do yourself a favour, & use 'ignore' for my content.

Corrupt world, volcanoes & earthquakes..but the good news is lil' sh*ts like you get it as well! :^) Have a nice day ya C*nt

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Matter of perception and opinion, not fact. Also ignores the reality that he may not have been able to hold a 'fire sale'

IMO, the 'style' of rebuild is inconsequential and I have very little interest in seeing it debated ad nauseum on here more than it already has been. What matters is that the team IS being rebuilt. Not how/why/when etc. You may personally not like some of the answers to those but to deny it's happening is beyond willful ignorance.

Horvat, Boeser, Baer, Granlund, Virtanen, Gaunce, Gudbranson, Stecher, Pouliot, Hutton, Tryamkin, Juolevi, Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Demko, DiPietro Goldobin, Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Brisebois, Chatfield, MacEwan, Cassels etc, etc. There's actual youth there and more coming with more drafts.

It's happening.

The mistake is expecting it to be a finished product already or disappointed that it's not. 

Oh Im not denying it’s happening, but it’s happening inspite of JB best efforts to make this team fringe playoff team.

no gm spends 20+ mill in the offseason with not making the playoffs as the plan  same goes for a Louie’s contract.

if JB had his way we’d be getting eliminated in 4 games in the playoffs every year. 

You could say we’re lucky he’s incapable or this team would be even further behind.

how can any rebuilding  team justify trading away 17 draft picks in 4 years that’s more than  Gillis traded away his entire time here.

We shouldn’t be like plus one in draft picks in four years into a rebuild in which we have sold most of the vets off we should be plus ten.

Easy to just list all his picks and say it’s happening when if you’ve followed hockey for any length of time you would know the majority of this names will never see a regular nhl shift besides That list should be twice as long at this point. 

There’s No mistake, no expectations of this mess being remotely close to finished,

If you check the prediction thread I had them deadlast. 

sooner or later hes gotta be able to buy his way into a playoff spot.since that’s  what he’s tried to do since he got here.

But yes it is just my lowly opinion. 

Good to have a discussion where one party doesn’t just start attacking, insulting or start trying to intimidate it happens way to much on here.we don’t have to agree but we can still be (somewhat) civil.

thankyou.