The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

12 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Or only a schmuck would believe that the Canucks would hire people to "professionally" post on an online hockey forum.

28th, 28th, 29th and all is well  and we have competent management? Can you say Loui Eriksson without cringing? Am I supposed to believe you are all.....? No I think some of you are on the payroll......or not:)

12 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Or only a schmuck would believe that the Canucks would hire people to "professionally" post on an online hockey forum.

Heh, BC Liberals hired many MANY  people  to post Pro BC Liberal comments during the last few BC elections.......

On 1/19/2018 at 7:38 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Funny how a lot of fans wanted JB gone 2 years ago and now most want him

to stay. 

Two years ago he was making mistakes, still learning as a first time GM. Now he's in his 4th year, he's learned on the job and if he gets fired the next organisation he works for will benefit from him being here and essentially going to college learning how to be a GM. He'll still make mistakes but he's learned a lot. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What year do you think this is? The Canucks have a soclal media person or people that handle their Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. This forum is social media, how hard do you think it would be for that person or people to create an account here, scan through once in a while and throw out a team positive spin post or reply every now and then? Literally 20-30 mins a week at most. You do know that most companies have social media "professionals" don't you?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm fine with Benning still. I'm not in the payroll. Just a fan of the team. I like his work already. 

His drafting is solid. 

As Roger Daltrey once sang "the kids are alright". These vets just have to retire first. 

I have been a fan for a long, long time. I have witnessed the progression of a lot of Canuck first rounders.  Remember when we picked White?? This forum was ecstatic about what a great pick he was. How many games did he play in the NHL?

Or how really old am I ? I remember reading in the hockey news a long time ago about prospects for the NHL draft. Being young and stupid at the time I really thought we should take Mike Bossy. Well our scouting department decided Jere Gillis was a better pick. And you know until about Christmas in his rookie season it looked like they were right!

As of now we have Horvat and Boeser and a lot of maybe. Middlestat looked way better than Petersson don't you think? I didn't like Middlestat. Maybe I was wrong.

Edited by pomorick

4 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

What year do you think this is? The Canucks have a soclal media person or people that handle their Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. This forum is social media, how hard do you think it would be for that person or people to create an account here, scan through once in a while and throw out a team positive spin post or reply every now and then? Literally 20-30 mins a week at most. You do know that most companies have social media "professionals" don't you?

I hear ya, there's a guy in the Trump thread that reeks of Russian influence.

Actually, this is CDC. You can bring in as many fluffers as you want but, it`s a pretty staunch crew in here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

This is entirely possible. Back in the 80's, the Griffiths hired me to drive around all day to various Tim Hoes, starting up Nucker-conversations with a positive slant.

They covered my gas & fritters.

Lol! Post of the day in my opinion.  Thanks for the laugh,  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Two years ago he was making mistakes, still learning as a first time GM. Now he's in his 4th year, he's learned on the job and if he gets fired the next organisation he works for will benefit from him being here and essentially going to college learning how to be a GM. He'll still make mistakes but he's learned a lot. 

What mistakes? Seems to me he's stayed the course of what he's said he's going to do since the beginning.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

What mistakes? Seems to me he's stayed the course of what he's said he's going to do since the beginning.

Staying the course and making mistakes are two different things. 

Every human that has ever had  job they've never done before has made mistakes when he/she first started that job. It goes same for a dishwasher to cab driver to NHL GM. He was first time GM, it takes time to learn things. He will continue to make mistakes but he's learned from experience and he'll make less going forward. He's much better and more qualified NHL GM today than he was 2 or 3 years ago.

/

6 hours ago, pomorick said:

28th, 28th, 29th and all is well  and we have competent management? Can you say Loui Eriksson without cringing? Am I supposed to believe you are all.....? No I think some of you are on the payroll......or not:)

Louis Eriksson has just been awful since getting here but at the time he was signed there was a lot of happy people. He had just come off a 30 goal 63 point season. Seemed like the market was decided as Lucic, Okposo, Ladd and Eriksson all got very similar contracts. Eriksson to boot also had history and chemistry playing with the twins internationally. Just sucks he didn’t even decline slowly once getting here he just sucked right from the start.

50 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Staying the course and making mistakes are two different things. 

Every human that has ever had  job they've never done before has made mistakes when he/she first started that job. It goes same for a dishwasher to cab driver to NHL GM. He was first time GM, it takes time to learn things. He will continue to make mistakes but he's learned from experience and he'll make less going forward. He's much better and more qualified NHL GM today than he was 2 or 3 years ago.

/

You completely evaded the question. What mistakes?

50 minutes ago, Baggins said:

You completely evaded the question. What mistakes?

Are you claiming JB hasn't made a mistake as GM of the Canucks? 

I can name many, but i'm not interested in debating every trade and every draft pick and every UFA signing or every time coaching or mgmt hirings or firings happened under him. You are on here enough, I'm sure you've read them and read the arguments from both sides of the debate. No point going into that and wasting my time. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, pomorick said:

Yeah....it's a rebuilding team, they don't tend to finish in the top half of the league.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Are you claiming JB hasn't made a mistake as GM of the Canucks?

All GM's make mistakes. That's unavoidable and completely unrealistic of people to expect otherwise.

IMO, the only mistake of meaningful significance is the Eriksson signing. The rest are low level noise/collateral damage that aren't worth the typing wasted on them here. (And I for one thank you for not rehashing the same tired arguments :lol: )

I'll take that track record (1 meaningful miscue in 4 years and vastly outweighed by all the good) any day.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

All GM's make mistakes. That's unavoidable and completely unrealistic of people to expect otherwise.

IMO, the only mistake of meaningful significance is the Eriksson signing. The rest are low level noise/collateral damage that aren't worth the typing wasted on them here. (And I for one thank you for not rehashing the same tired arguments :lol: )

I'll take that track record (1 meaningful miscue in 4 years and vastly outweighed by all the good) any day.

To say he’s only made one meaningfull miscue since he’s been here is just as far fetched as the ones saying everything he’s done is wrong.

i guess the 50 000 team fine for tampering, or the contract blunders don’t count either nor draft choice misses in the top 6  and expensive trades that haven’t planned out are all exceptable.

I wonder of the ones signing his praises if he was the gm of Calgary or Edmonton and made the same moves how many would saying wow he sure is a great GM.

Same if it was your money bleeding out with no results in the standing or attendance if you believe paying out everything he has paid out to be a perennial  loser is still a good job.

as you stated we are rebuilding he’s traded away 17 picks,yes he has acquired about the same number but if you’re  “stocking up” should the number be much higher on the acquired side. 

owners see bottom line and results.

90mill committed to ufas in 4 season approx 280 mill in salary  in that same time.

A public statement to stay competitive and owners allowing him to spend to achieve that and its been a huge failure, not only is the team not competitive he has failed to create a team That people will pay to see.

Owners hated this team got pushed around in 2011 kinda funny that  team was ten times tougher and harder to play against than what benning has assembled and Im not talking about skill just grit and toughness.

More of an  coincidental rebuild than a stealth one and its closer to about 30% done. 

Hes done some good things so did nonis. 

Edited by combover
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, combover said:

To say he’s only made one meaningfull miscue since he’s been here is just as far fetched as the ones saying everything he’s done is wrong.

i guess the 50 000 team fine for tampering, or the contract blunders don’t count either nor draft choice misses in the top 6  and expensive trades that haven’t planned out are all exceptable.

I wonder of the ones signing his praises if he was the gm of Calgary or Edmonton and made the same moves how many would saying wow he sure is a great GM.

Same if it was your money bleeding out with no results in the standing or attendance if you believe paying out everything he has paid out to be a perennial  loser is still a good job.

as you stated we are rebuilding he’s traded away 17 picks,yes he has acquired about the same number but if you’re  “stocking up” should the number be much higher on the acquired side. 

owners see bottom line and results.

90mill committed to ufas in 4 season approx 280 mill in salary  in that same time.

A public statement to stay competitive and owners allowing him to spend to achieve that and its been a huge failure, not only is the team not competitive he has failed to create a team That people will pay to see.

Owners hated this team got pushed around in 2011 kinda funny that  team was ten times tougher and harder to play against than what benning has assembled and Im not talking about skill just grit and toughness.

Hes done some good things so did nonis. 

Yeah meaningful. Sorry but the rest of that is low level noise, expected levels of hits/misses and/or not even issues (like, the only even arguable 'miss' -not plural - in the top 6 is Virtanen, who still has time to become a decent NHL'er FWIW).

Owners do see bottom line and results. I'd bet right now they're seeing the results of the deepest prospect pool this team has ever had and numerous prospects leading and on pace to set records in numerous leagues around the world. And if FA's not a complete moron (which I don't think he is), he damn well should have expected a down turn in profits, attendance and wins during a rebuild. That would be akin to firing a surgeon for some blood loss during surgery.

And 'staying competitive' is only a 'failure' to those who can't seem to grasp the concept that 'competitive' =/= winning. All while simultaneously ignoring massive injury losses. Again, unless FA's a moron, pretty sure he knew any actual winning during the rebuild would be gravy. The key is to have the players not know in October that they were already out of it.  To know that if you come to the rink, work hard and play hard, you've got a chance every game to keep it close and maybe get a win. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I have been sitting and going over the last 6 years. You know Gillis tried to get owners to tear this mess down not long after the 2011 playoff run. It would be interesting to know where we would be right now if they had of blown things up in 2013. Five years of trying to prop this mess up and we are still in need of a complete tear down. The owners and our current management have not learned a thing. It is like a dog that returns to his vomit. We still need the twins for next year? Wow !

We have some great young prospects coming but are no wheres near being close to having what it will take to really compete for a cup. How many solid young prospects do we have in Utica who are pushing to make the NHL. Our defense is a mess and will take years to build up. I just get the impression that the owners patients has worn thin and we are about to see another bright move!

They wonder why fans are not coming to the games. It is because the fans are smarter then them and can see the futility of what is going on.

• Upvote 1