The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Is it over yet? Is this season done? Can I Look yet? 

Its been liberating not wasting 2.5h 3-4 times a week watching this charmin-soft, clogged toilet of a roster; not watching this team play since none of them, not even the coach, saw EP get power-choke slammed. It’s freed up a lot of time. I’ve made the most of it while super fans carry forward the fan torch. Win win. 

I see the new biting pet-rat is well received here, which is par. Stay golden, CDC. :picard:

All the fluffery about being 1st in the Pacific, gawd that’s good, just totally ignore that this team has had as many as 5 games in hand on some teams during that stretch and still have 4 on some. It’s the cheapest entertainment I can find since YouTube started having commercials in their videos. Awesome. 

The rebuilding and the losing part I don't mind, not at all. I am happy to see this accidental Tank play out again for a shot at a lotto pick. JB’s Insurance Plan of mainstay IR players in key roles combined with that awesome tandem in net is goof proof. This is tanking at its finest. 

The perpetual ‘injuries’ excuse in this forum is laughable at this stage in JB’s tenure.

Can anyone truely imagine a season where Sutter, Guddy, Tanev, Baer and even EP wouldn’t be hurt? Ha, no! Then why does JB? 

Stealth or Accidental. One of these is at least a form of management. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

3 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Yup, pretty used to seeing a lack of skill :D

A world of scouts are about to disagree with you, big time, coming up to next year's draft.

This is a largely rhetorical question, but feel free to answer it if you feel like it - how does an 'unskilled' 17 yr old lead a WHL team in scoring - not by a small margin btw but by 14 pts - 2nd best to his 41 pts is 27 (Davidson - a 20 yr old).   And this is not a bad Blades team - they are 16-9  (I just watched them take down the Royals a couple nights ago).

The thing about WHL games - the best players are not necessarily going to stand out to you every night.   The games are up tempo - every young player has to develop their game without the puck, they don't give a lot of time and space...and yet, if you watch the Blades, it's borderline impossible to miss how exceptional Dach is.

Anyhow by virtually everyone else's viewpoint, he's a great playmaker (takes skill btw - and 27 assists suggest an objective confirmation), he's a halfwall pp quarterback with very good vision and good hands.   Imo his skating is under-rated, particularly for a 17 yr old with great size -  6'3' and 195lbs - and he has a pretty solid chance of going top 10 next June.   The one thing I'd probably want him to improve is how consistently assertive he is with that size advantage - but he is 17 yrs old after all.

Maybe it's the case that you don't particularly like the player?  In any event, it looks like he might go in the range the Nucks will be picking....

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

A world of scouts are about to disagree with you, big time, coming up to next year's draft.

This is a largely rhetorical question, but feel free to answer it if you feel like it - how does an 'unskilled' 17 yr old lead a WHL team in scoring - not by a small margin btw but by 14 pts - 2nd best to his 41 pts is 27 (Davidson - a 20 yr old).   And this is not a bad Blades team - they are 16-9  (I just watched them take down the Royals a couple nights ago).

The thing about WHL games - the best players are not necessarily going to stand out to you every night.   The games are up tempo - every young player has to develop their game without the puck, they don't give a lot of time and space...and yet, if you watch the Blades, it's borderline impossible to miss how exceptional Dach is.

Anyhow by virtually everyone else's viewpoint, he's a great playmaker (takes skill btw - and 27 assists suggest an objective confirmation), he's a halfwall pp quarterback with very good vision and good hands.   Imo his skating is under-rated, particularly for a 17 yr old with great size -  6'3' and 195lbs - and he has a pretty solid chance of going top 10 next June.   The one thing I'd probably want him to improve is how consistently assertive he is with that size advantage - but he is 17 yrs old after all.

Maybe it's the case that you don't particularly like the player?  In any event, it looks like he might go in the range the Nucks will be picking....

I don't care, I told you what I saw. I said hey, he might be good but I wouldn't pick him.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 7:33 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

1 - First, I'd argue the 'Rebuild' began with trading Schneids. Getting Horvat got the ball rolling. If we'd had CS for longer, we wouldn't have fallen so far down(draft order) in subsequent seasons. So it helped in both ways. I think owners knew then that Lu would ALSO be moving on, but they had to stagger these transactions with a bit of time in between.(long, boring theory, but they were concerned about optics, mostly)

2 -***TORTS!*** In another thread yest, was speculating owners brought him in, perhaps cynically as a sort of creative destruction? Easier to 'put the run' to vets, right? I know many posters(most?) will likely disagree, but it wouldn't surprise me if owners knew they had to cut bait(stars were aging). So they try a high-stakes gamble, with a polarizing figure. They either get an unlikely run, or an exodus of vets, willing to waive NTC's. No waiting for an aging country club atmosphere to fade away.

About to tangle with the BJ's, so had to bump.

Owners made a nice move, bringing in toxic Torts. That really kicked off the stealth tank, & a healthy downwards-spiral. That disastrous season also clearly highlighted the NHL officiating(2 rulebooks) standards, & made clear that media would be doing us no favours.

It seems Torts might be running into a familiar wall in Columbus. Within a coupla yrs most vets likely tune the guy out, completely. I saw the Flamers hang 9 on these guys(in their own barn!) last wk. Then shut out in key game vs the Caps. Torts lambasted his troops in the subsequent(usual) press-tirade. Interesting times in Ohio...

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

About to tangle with the BJ's, so had to bump.

Owners made a nice move, bringing in toxic Torts. That really kicked off the stealth tank, & a healthy downwards-spiral. That disastrous season also clearly highlighted the NHL officiating(2 rulebooks) standards, & made clear that media would be doing us no favours.

It seems Torts might be running into a familiar wall in Columbus. Within a coupla yrs most vets likely tune the guy out, completely. I saw the Flamers hang 9 on these guys(in their own barn!) last wk. Then shut out in key game vs the Caps. Torts lambasted his troops in the subsequent(usual) press-tirade. Interesting times in Ohio...

Torts is like Keenan in a lot of ways, the squeeze only works for so long, eventually the players tire of it.  And the millennials in the lineup won’t last long before tuning him out, but those that don’t could turn into really good players.  Werenski has been through the blender and has trouble staying healthy, and they are facing losing both Panarin and Bobrovsky...if Torts doesn’t adapt this could be his last gig as head coach.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Torts is like Keenan in a lot of ways, the squeeze only works for so long, eventually the players tire of it.  And the millennials in the lineup won’t last long before tuning him out, but those that don’t could turn into really good players.  Werenski has been through the blender and has trouble staying healthy, and they are facing losing both Panarin and Bobrovsky...if Torts doesn’t adapt this could be his last gig as head coach.

It's a double-whammy, cos' what high-profile stars would want to stay in a one horse town? They have to overpay(or accept) mercurial talents. Same prob as dives like Edmonchuk.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:37 AM, IBatch said:

I would argue that Torts and Keenan are and were different.  

Yes - both men are confrontational and have fiery tempers, but Keenan was a jerk that played cruel mind games with players.

Torts has a temper, but he’s a guy that always has the players backs and will always stick up for the players (case in point - that 1st period intermission when he bolted Calgary’s locker).  Torts is demanding of his players and can get angry at them, but he’s trying to show them tough love.  There’s a difference between showing tough love and flat out being a mean spirited jerk.

On 11/30/2018 at 11:10 AM, oldnews said:

Yeah i disagree also with that dude. Dach is right now probably the most offensively skilled prospect in the chl. His skating is somewhat underrated when it comes to his edgework, but his straightline speed needs a little work because his stride is a little short and choppy. Kind of like schieffle was in junior. It is definitely fixable and i would be ecstatic if we got dach.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/29/2018 at 9:53 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

A decent game for the stealth-renewal.

Hate how Vegas was gifted such a strong team, by the #riggeddeckleague.

It happens man, but the way they did it for vegas pretty much guarantees that vegas is always gonna be a good hockey town even with the raiders moving in. 

I have to agree with you Nuxfanabroad.  I haven't watched or supported the big 3 in almost as long, other than Superbowl, but that's to eat wings and watch commercials with my friends and family.  Hockey fan till the day I die, or I finally get tired of the blind zebras that always seem to call things against our team.  As for the topic of the thread, I agree that this will be the last year where missing the playoffs is definitely in the cards, tho I'm still holding out hope that we're close.  There is something special about our team, and if we can get Juolevi, Hughes, Woo into the fold and have them all pan out, we're going to make some noise!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...