The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whatcha listening to, Punk?!

Rate this topic

luckylager

1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

Didn’t one of the guys from dayglo have a t shirt shop in Vic? I bought a Wesley Willis shirt from there lol. 

Yeah, Jesus Bonehead (Brian) owned Old Nick's Tshirt Factory.

He's a great guy to smoke n swear with when on a lunch break. Was pretty bummed when he shut down. 

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

Cool to hear your guys stories... surprised no mentions of Strung Out, Live in a Dive was my favourite live album... it was tough to choose one song

Strung Out and No Use for a Name are two bands I love, it's just I didn't get I to them until after my formative years. So while I like them, they didn't influence my taste, but were a result of the other bands I've mentioned.

100 proof is one hell if a track.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
4 hours ago, Davathor said:

Cool to hear your guys stories... surprised no mentions of Strung Out, Live in a Dive was my favourite live album... it was tough to choose one song

When another day in paradise came out it absolutely blew everyone’s mind that and suburban are the only strung out albums I was into. Another great metal flavour pop/ punk band is 88 fingers Louie. Ignite, Satanic Surfers. As a musician, (well a drummer so not a real musician) my taste in punk grew more towards the tighter bands. There was a lot of the technical punk on the Swedish labels Bad Taste and Burning Heart Records. Satanic surfers started out great but then their music got so complex (for punk) that it was no longer catchy. I love the balance between catchy and tight. strung out is the perfect example of that. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
18 hours ago, Convincing John said:

@luckylager @Gollumpus @Coconuts @Angry Goose

Im kinda interested in what got you guys into punk. What in your mind are the albums that influenced you the most. 

For me, I was maybe 12 or 13 and my neighbour who was a few years older than me had a half pipe in his back yard and My annoying a$$ would go over there and try to skate with them and be cool like them. He had a ghetto blaster with one tape in it. Bad Religion Against the grain. So for an entire summer it’s basically the only thing I listened to. From there I saw an epitaph records compilation called punk o Rama at the music store, shoplifted it lol and  I got into the bands on it. Back in those days it was hard to get exposed to punk music. I remember getting an order form with punk o Rama and ordering CD’s also ordering from Fat. Maximum Rocknroll zine was another way. 

Best 

1. Descendents - Milo goes to college

1a. SNFU - Something Green and leafy 

2. NOFX - White Trash

3. The Smugglers - Big sizzle  

4. Big Drill Car - Batch

5. Satanic Surfers - Hero of our time

6. Bodyjar - Rimshot!

7. Misfits - Famous Monsters (Graves was better than Danzig) 

8. Chixdiggit 

9. Trigger happy - I’ll shut up. 

I gotta' admit that I am an idiot with regard to my past history on this topic. Initially I wasn't that interested in Punk as I viewed it as being too nihilistic, it was lacking in music ability (a quote from a review of a band back in the day - "Played their instruments with more energy than skill), and I avoided going to concerts here in Vancouver with various friends who were fully embracing this genre. I missed so many opportunities to see such great bands, and I kick myself quite often when I think about those times.

Vancouver scene:

The Disrags

DOA

No Fun

Pointed Sticks

The Subhumans

Tim Ray and AV (maybe more New Waveish?)

UJ3RK5

The Young Canadians (aka The K-Tels)

Perhaps a decade after Punk started to wind down, my interest started to ramp up, but as noted above, there wasn't a lot going on with that scene.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

When another day in paradise came out it absolutely blew everyone’s mind that and suburban are the only strung out albums I was into. Another great metal flavour pop/ punk band is 88 fingers Louie. Ignite, Satanic Surfers. As a musician, (well a drummer so not a real musician) my taste in punk grew more towards the tighter bands. There was a lot of the technical punk on the Swedish labels Bad Taste and Burning Heart Records. Satanic surfers started out great but then their music got so complex (for punk) that it was no longer catchy. I love the balance between catchy and tight. strung out is the perfect example of that. 

Ever listen to Dillinger 4? Those dudes are tight.

Anyone ever get into the Sweden pop punk? 

Like Millincolin? Yes. I mean no. But yes.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Ever listen to Dillinger 4? Those dudes are tight.

Like Millincolin? Yes. I mean no. But yes.

By the time D4 was out I was into the gothic metal stuff. But I’ve seen them live and really enjoyed it. Ya, Sweden had a great punk scene. There is about 10 bands that are just like Millincolin over there. Have you seen the Descendents documentary? 

4 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

By the time D4 was out I was into the gothic metal stuff. But I’ve seen them live and really enjoyed it. Ya, Sweden had a great punk scene. There is about 10 bands that are just like Millincolin over there. Have you seen the Descendents documentary? 

Been waiting.. Legit will have to face the fact I'm old balls if I watch it. Just watch Fat Mike's Backyard Party, a bit cringy, like every NoFX show ever... but well worth the watch.

Anyways, I'm about to post a video from The Chats. These kids are &^@#ing hilarious.

Definitely not technical, fast, tight or remotely evolved from a musical perspective, but they're an instant classic.

Seriously every last song makes me laugh. Check em out.

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Been waiting.. Legit will have to face the fact I'm old balls if I watch it. Just watch Fat Mike's Backyard Party, a bit cringy, like every NoFX show ever... but well worth the watch.

Anyways, I'm about to post a video from The Chats. These kids are &^@#ing hilarious.

Definitely not technical, fast, tight or remotely evolved from a musical perspective, but they're an instant classic.

Seriously every last song makes me laugh. Check em out.

be prepared to watch the greatest punk band documentary in the history of the universe. 

• Like 1
Just now, Convincing John said:

be prepared to watch the greatest punk band documentary in the history of the universe. 

I have it on my watch later tab.. pops up every time I turn on the TV.

Its definitely one for the weekend, because I'm gonna have to drink whiskey and cry. Guaranteed.

And I agree 100%. Desendents are the best punk band to ever play. Liveage is the best live album ever recorded.

Drummerboy will probably disagree, but he can just go sit alone in the corner.

• Haha 1
On 3/9/2021 at 9:45 AM, DarthMelvin said:

Would you or Do you consider bands like Green day and/or Blink 182 to be Punk?

On 3/21/2021 at 11:53 PM, Convincing John said:

@luckylager @Gollumpus @Coconuts @Angry Goose

Im kinda interested in what got you guys into punk. What in your mind are the albums that influenced you the most. 

I suppose my answer will probably answer both questions. I get the feeling I'm a bit younger than all of you, being 30, so my answer is likely to be a bit different.

First of all, Melvin's question. Yeah, I would consider them to be punk. Particularly their older stuff, but not exclusively their older stuff. I'm admittedly not keen on Blink without Tom, but I also don't really have a firm definition or view on what makes punk punk. 

This brings me to John's question. Being a 90 baby, I likely missed a lot of the stuff you guys have mentioned having grown up Pentecostal, I simply didn't have a lot of exposure to radio and music in general when I wasn't around friends or at like the Boys and Girls club or something. I ain't religious now, but I basically grew up hearing mostly religious music. I got my hands on a radio at like ten or eleven, and that's when the foundations of my music taste began to set in. I'm the oldest brother, I didn't have super musical friends, I had to figure it out on my own, but I'm a pop punk kid at heart. 

Blink-182 and Sum 41 are what got me into punk, All Killer No Filler dropped when I was like ten or eleven and it was massive for me. Blink-182 had All The Small Things, Adam's Song, and What's My Age Again as massive tracks on the radio at the time, which were followed up by Blink's Take Off Your Pants and Jacket album in 2001. Throw in bands like Gob, Billy Talent, Simple Plan, Treble Charger, Good Charlotte, Bowling For Soup, New Found Glory, American Hi-Fi, Jimmy Eat World, Millencolin, Goldfinger, Greenday, Less Than Jake, (and various others) who'd either blown up in the mid-late 90's or were blowing up in the early 2000's and I was pretty into it all. Lot of these bands, and pop punk and general, often seem to get a bunch of guff from older punkers, but for many they were the entry point to punk and what drove younger fans to explore the older, and often less mainstream stuff. That's what happened for me and several of my friends anyway. 

I've gotta run, but I'll think up a list of albums later. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
28 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

One of the funniest live performances I’ve ever seen. Love these guys, they played absolutely flawless. 

hey @luckylager there is no hockey for the next few days, you better watch that documentary on the Descendents man. 

It's on the list. The wife doesn't think it'll be appropriate for the kids... and it's family Mohawk night. I mean movie night.

On that note, back from before AFI put out "Endless suckage on the seas of emo eyeliner and black skinny jeans"

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I don’t know why I haven’t been more active in this thread.   
You guys are speaking my language. 
Ive toured and worked with a lot of the bands you are talking about!   

Have any of you listened to PEARS?   
Their album that came out in 2020 was probably the best punk release of the year.  
A beautiful mix of old school punk, hardcore, new age technical drumming, and the front man is one of the best in the game.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Anyone here into the Vancouver punk scene?   
There are a dozen HIGH quality bands coming from our town. 
Ive spent the last 15 years of my life touring and recording with punk, metal, and rock bands...... and to be totally honest, a couple here in Van are right up there with some of the best.  

The Corps- For a Fat Wrek style pop punk

AntEater- 90’s skatepunk/hardcore.  I think they broke up, but easily one of my favs. 
Contra Code- Technical shreddy punk. Awesome. 
Aanthems-  Heart and soul rock and roll.  Just two brothers.  One on bass, one drummer. Both sing.  They are straight up amazing people and musicians.  

Check it Foo!

I’ll send you links if you want....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
On 4/5/2021 at 6:53 AM, drummerboy said:

Anyone here into the Vancouver punk scene?   
There are a dozen HIGH quality bands coming from our town. 
Ive spent the last 15 years of my life touring and recording with punk, metal, and rock bands...... and to be totally honest, a couple here in Van are right up there with some of the best.  

The Corps- For a Fat Wrek style pop punk

AntEater- 90’s skatepunk/hardcore.  I think they broke up, but easily one of my favs. 
Contra Code- Technical shreddy punk. Awesome. 
Aanthems-  Heart and soul rock and roll.  Just two brothers.  One on bass, one drummer. Both sing.  They are straight up amazing people and musicians.  

Check it Foo!

I’ll send you links if you want....

Link them.

I saw anteater at Logan's ages ago. Great show

Edited by luckylager
  • Like 1