The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

12 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Mike Bossy

edit: Sure hope Bo can prove to be a Trottier. Think he's got it in him.

That was my guess too. That shot, natural goal scorer. Nice comment about Bo and Trottier. Would Virtanen then be the much faster version of Clark Gillies? :)

50 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That was my guess too. That shot, natural goal scorer. Nice comment about Bo and Trottier. Would Virtanen then be the much faster version of Clark Gillies? :)

Was also pondering this. Much as I hated them back then..the Isles had a classically-composed roster, with 4 or 5 guys elite, surrounded by a lot of speed, grit, character & experience.

The Tonelli, Nystrom essential-types(in spring) might be what we get from Jake, & we have a few more coming that seem to fit that mold.

Finding a Potvin, Billy Smith combo won't be a picnic. Sure hope Demko comes thru.

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was also pondering this. Much as I hated them back then..the Isles had a classically-composed roster, with 4 or 5 guys elite, surrounded by a lot of speed, grit, character & experience.

The Tonelli, Nystrom essential-types(in spring) might be what we get from Jake, & we have a few more coming that seem to fit that mold.

Finding a Potvin, Billy Smith combo won't be a picnic. Sure hope Demko comes thru.

Well, drafting Dahlin would take care of Potvin (lol) And who knows how Demko will turn out. He seems to be on the right path. I agree that the 80s Islanders were built for success. I loved John Tonelli and Bob Nystrom, Butch Goring. Character playoff guys.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jake is developing nicely and in a couple of years (2019) you can look back at what some thought of him a couple of years ago (2016) and see that patience isn’t the worst virtue. 

1 minute ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Jake is developing nicely and in a couple of years (2019) you can look back at what some thought of him a couple of years ago (2016) and see that patience isn’t the worst virtue. 

Yes! Jake is going to be a beast. Can't wait to see him in playoff action in a couple of years.

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, drafting Dahlin would take care of Potvin (lol) And who knows how Demko will turn out. He seems to be on the right path. I agree that the 80s Islanders were built for success. I loved John Tonelli and Bob Nystrom, Butch Goring. Character playoff guys.

It took me a while to get over hating them for beating the Canucks but the 80s Islanders were a magnificent team.  When guys like Brent Sutter and Ken Morrow don't even get mentioned, it's an unbelievable team.  Boeser is looking like he has a shot at maybe doing something Bossy-like, but Bo as Trottier?  An Art Ross and Hart winner?  Never say never, but I think we're looking at more of a Ryan Smyth / Shane Doan / Brenden Morrow solid leader with respectable scoring.

One interesting possibility if Boeser keeps close to this pace, is suddenly some UFAs might have more interest in playing on a line with one of the best young scorers in the league.

Tavares and Kane both may hit the market and we have cap space and an open roster spot for either or both.  It is pie in the sky thinking, but out of maybe a 5-10 teams that will be in on them with cap space and roster spots open, having a young stud moves us up a couple notches.

You could re-sign the Sedins to mentor Pettersson or have him play on a 2nd line with Horvat and let young guys fill the 3rd line.

Kane-Tavares-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson

Sedin-Sedin-Petterson

Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Goldobin-Gagner

Or...

Kane-Tavares-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Petterson

Goldobin-Sutter-Virtanen

XX-Granlund-Gagner

On 29/12/2017 at 5:58 PM, NUCKER67 said:

And the Sutter brothers.  That team was stacked with character from top to bottom and had probably the most rounded defenseman of all time in Potvin running the motor, and the purest goal scorer all time up front in Bossy.  Gilles was so tough nobody wanted to mess with him, Trottier was the Crosby of his time and the kingpin of Russian hockey named Tonelli as the best player in the world after a tournament in the early eighties....that team was sick, a great heir apparent of the Habs dynasty.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

One interesting possibility if Boeser keeps close to this pace, is suddenly some UFAs might have more interest in playing on a line with one of the best young scorers in the league.

Tavares and Kane both may hit the market and we have cap space and an open roster spot for either or both.  It is pie in the sky thinking, but out of maybe a 5-10 teams that will be in on them with cap space and roster spots open, having a young stud moves us up a couple notches.

You could re-sign the Sedins to mentor Pettersson or have him play on a 2nd line with Horvat and let young guys fill the 3rd line.

Kane-Tavares-Boeser

Sedin-Sedin-Petterson

Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Goldobin-Gagner

Or...

Kane-Tavares-Boeser

Goldobin-Sutter-Virtanen

XX-Granlund-Gagner

Vancouver will be flush in cap space this summer, I hope Benning learned his lesson with L.E. and spends it wisely.   If Kopitar can get 10 and term if expect Tavares will get at least that, and he's making a statement this year that his best years may be ahead of him yet....I'd swing for the fences, Snow fleeced him last time so maybe there is some hard feelings, or maybe they plan to make it up like we did with Burrows.  

Kane I'm not so sure of.  He's still the same guy that takes photos of stacks of money although it's mostly just for a reaction, him saying go ahead and skewer me in the media like he did with the fake arrest photo in Buffalo.  I think he will stay though he's happy there playing with Eichel, and for the first time the players seem to have his back.  If the price is right I'd be ok with it, but it won't be and I'd rather not have any possible problems later on in the dressing room, and he would come with some baggage. 

Yes to Tavares, rebuild over move on, no to Kane.

As a side note we could have signed Stamkos and Okposo a few years ago.  Glad we didn't.

Just now, IBatch said:

Vancouver will be flush in cap space this summer, I hope Benning learned his lesson with L.E. and spends it wisely.   If Kopitar can get 10 and term if expect Tavares will get at least that, and he's making a statement this year that his best years may be ahead of him yet....I'd swing for the fences, Snow fleeced him last time so maybe there is some hard feelings, or maybe they plan to make it up like we did with Burrows.  

Kane I'm not so sure of.  He's still the same guy that takes photos of stacks of money although it's mostly just for a reaction, him saying go ahead and skewer me in the media like he did with the fake arrest photo in Buffalo.  I think he will stay though he's happy there playing with Eichel, and for the first time the players seem to have his back.  If the price is right I'd be ok with it, but it won't be and I'd rather not have any possible problems later on in the dressing room, and he would come with some baggage. 

Yes to Tavares, rebuild over move on, no to Kane.

As a side note we could have signed Stamkos and Okposo a few years ago.  Glad we didn't.

Because we need the high picks still...

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Kane-Tavares-Boeser

Sedin-Sedin-Petterson

Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Goldobin-Gagner

Or...

Kane-Tavares-Boeser

Goldobin-Sutter-Virtanen

XX-Granlund-Gagner

Would love to see Kane and Taveres in Vancouver. Kane would help alot of the toughness issues.

Only slight concern is keeping roster spots open for all the youngsters in the wings... starting with Gaudette.

And the defence needs money for rebuilding as well.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Would love to see Kane and Taveres in Vancouver. Kane would help alot of the toughness issues.

Only slight concern is keeping roster spots open for all the youngsters in the wings... starting with Gaudette.

And the defence needs money for rebuilding as well.

The Sedins retire after one year at most of easing Petterson’s transition to North America.  Pettersson has the possibility of moving back to centre.

We only have 4 forwards (signing Kane and Tavares makes 6) signed as

of the 2019-2020 season.  The year after that Gagner’s contract comes off as well.

There will be plenty of opportunity for guys that can grab it.  Aside from Pettersson and maybe Gadjovich, all or prospects are probably 2-3 years out still from being really NHL regulars.  If some guys come in unexpectedly and make the roster, you can move on from other guys like Granlund and Baertschi.

As for money for defence, we will have to keep replacing more  pensive forwards as their contracts expire (Sutter, Gagner, Sedins, etc) with cheaper prospects coming up in the system.  That leaves the spare cash to bring in a D.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

The Sedins retire after one year at most of easing Petterson’s transition to North America.  Pettersson has the possibility of moving back to centre.

We only have 4 forwards (signing Kane and Tavares makes 6) signed as

of the 2019-2020 season.  The year after that Gagner’s contract comes off as well.

There will be plenty of opportunity for guys that can grab it.  Aside from Pettersson and maybe Gadjovich, all or prospects are probably 2-3 years out still from being really NHL regulars.  If some guys come in unexpectedly and make the roster, you can move on from other guys like Granlund and Baertschi.

As for money for defence, we will have to keep replacing more  pensive forwards as their contracts expire (Sutter, Gagner, Sedins, etc) with cheaper prospects coming up in the system.  That leaves the spare cash to bring in a D.

Cheers. 

If they can make the numbers add up, by all means get Tavares and Kane signed up. 

We'd have one of the best forward groups in the NHL if the dream came through.

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

And the Sutter brothers.  That team was stacked with character from top to bottom and had probably the most rounded defenseman of all time in Potvin running the motor, and the purest goal scorer all time up front in Bossy.  Gilles was so tough nobody wanted to mess with him, Trottier was the Crosby of his time and the kingpin of Russian hockey named Tonelli as the best player in the world after a tournament in the early eighties....that team was sick, a great heir apparent of the Habs dynasty.

Tonelli was incredible in that Canada Cup.  Nobody even mentions him when they talk about the Islanders dynasty but the truth is, a strong argument can be made for him to be in the Hall of Fame.

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Tonelli was incredible in that Canada Cup.  Nobody even mentions him when they talk about the Islanders dynasty but the truth is, a strong argument can be made for him to be in the Hall of Fame.

You bet, he was a great hockey player.   I was wondering if anyone would understand what i meant by that comment.

Archived