The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

6 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Actually right now Boeser is -1 and Barzal is +1. So pretty close.

True, but we had a decent start to the season. I don't see NYI starting to tank anytime soon. We're still missing Tanev, Horvat, and Baer for weeks with a 2A/2B goaltending. I don't see Boeser's +/- reaching anywhere near as bad as Keller though.

• Adarsh Sant changed the title to Brock Boeser sitting first 2 games, and the Calder race. (Updated as of Dec 22nd)

Dec 22 Update

Forget about rookies, Boeser is in the race for the Rocket Richard Trophy.

No seriously. He's 5th in overall goals and #1 in goals per 60 minutes among all players.

This means that if you were to select a player to score 1 goal at any given time, Boeser would be your best bet.

I think if Brock can keep within 5 points of Barzal, up or down, he will have a strong finish when Bo comes back.   You got to think that the guy that plays for the team (NYI) tied for first in offence (GF) in the NHL will have an advantage.

If Boeser finish with close to 35-40 goals which is very realistic he should hands down win the Calder regardless of what barzal finish with in terms of points. Barzal is playing with legitimate established players and stars Tavares, eberle, lee etc etc of coz he’s going to get assist. Coz those guys can finish. Boeser doesn’t have the luxury of that 

42 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Isn't Barzal feeding Anders and John? You think when you weigh supporting cast between the two, Brock is definitely more impressive.

He’s been playing with Ladd and eberle the last few games. But when you consider that Brock is the lone target (gets top oppositionD) on the Canucks and barzal get the oppositions next best (since JT gets top d). It adds more value to what Brock is doing.

With that said both players are tremendous talents and if the Calder was awarded today I don’t think anyone could be upset with either player being chosen. 

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He’s been playing with Ladd and eberle the last few games. But when you consider that Brock is the lone target (gets top oppositionD) on the Canucks and barzal get the oppositions next best (since JT gets top d). It adds more value to what Brock is doing.

With that said both players are tremendous talents and if the Calder was awarded today I don’t think anyone could be upset with either player being chosen. 

Barzal being from BC and growing up watching the Canucks, wouldnt mind if he won the Calder at all.

Both have been unreal. Barzal went the first 5 games of the year without a point, so his 35 points are in his last 31 games. He now has a 5 point game, a hattrick, scored on his first shootout attempt. And Boeser's % of goals scored compared to the rest of the team speaks for itself. For the supporting cast argument, you can easily argue that Eberle and Ladd weren't doing anything for the Islanders until they got put on a line with Barzal. So I dunno who's supporting who.

Both guys look like they'll end up with more points than Matthews/Laine had last year. Will be interesting to see if Boeser can hit 40 goals and Barzal leads all rookies in points and perhaps gets into the 90 point range, who they give the trophy to. Probably McAvoy lol.

Archived