The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎23 at 9:55 AM, cbdoubleu said:

Stop making untrue excuses. He's having a better rookie season, bottom line. Also Brock plays PP Unit 1 too, and has 16 PPP to Barzal's 14.

Brock is scoring more. And getting assists . Be pretty tough for Brock to lose if he scores 35 goals. Book it. And I have noticed Brock getting lots of attention. Its no small thing winning shooting comp. Brock gets calder no excuses.  

• Adarsh Sant changed the title to Brock Boeser and the Calder race. (Updated as of Jan 28th)

I didn't watch the all-star competition (not watching the game today either), but saw the video of Boeser on the accuracy competition, he did exactly what I expected, he's the real deal.  And that hairflow...

Wouldn't surprise me if he breaks 40 goals this year.

On 2018-01-23 at 1:47 PM, cbdoubleu said:

Can we just be honest and admit that Barzal has been exceptional? He is now in elite company in hitting 50 points in 50 games or less. Ladd was horrible until he got put on a line with Barzal. Eberle was demoted to Barzal's line and now look at the year he's having. Beauvillier was having trouble staying in the lineup and now look at what he's doing. All because they have had an opportunity to play with Barzal. Not the other way around. All homerisms aside, the kid from Coquitlam deserves it if the season ended today.

So Barzal is playing on the second line with a Vet 20g scorer and a 30g scorer.  Meanwhile Taveres takes the top shut down players on game after game, so Barzal gets more time and space. 

Brock is this teams only offensive threat, takes on the best shutdown line the other team has night after night and if he fails to score the team likely loses the game. 

What Barzal has achieved is excellent, but it is debatable who is the better rookie between him and Brock. 

What Brock is doing in Vancouver is equally exceptional and he will likely break the 35g mark, maybe even hit 40g. To put that into context, that’s better than Bure and Linden. If Brock hits those marks he will have had the best rookie season in club history. 

If you only consider Points Barzal will win, if goals matter more, Brock will win. If impact on the team and offence are considered, then Brock should also win. 

Wish we had both, but I am glad to have Brock on our roster. Lock him up for as long as possible. 

EmW

17 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

So Barzal is playing on the second line with a Vet 20g scorer and a 30g scorer.  Meanwhile Taveres takes the top shut players on game after game, so Barzal gets more time and space. 

Brock is this teams only offenaive threat, takes on the best shutdown line the other team has night after night and if he fails to score the team likely loses the game. 

What Barzal has achieved is excellent, but it is debatable who is the better rookie between him and Brock. 

What Brock is doing in Vancouver is equally exceptional and he will likely break the 35g mark, maybe even hit 40g. To put that into context, that’s better than Bure and Linden. If Brock hits those marks he will have had the best rookie season in club history. 

If you only consider Points Barzal will win, if goals matter more, Brock will win. If impact on the team and offence are considered, then Brock should also win. 

Wish we had both, but I am glad to have Brock on our roster. Lock him up for as long as possible. 

EmW

Barzal is a force of nature too.  He has super star stamped all over him in that he makes those around him better, and is giving opposing teams fits trying to match either him or Tavares ( who's is an actual super star, just ask Bailey and Lee whom have gone from career .5 PPG guys to PPG ).   

Brock arguably has worse linemates, and gets all the attention from the best shut down guys...and just destroyed everyone but that NJ imposter at the accuracy contest ( and he didn't cheat by lining up pucks like Stamkos, or have the clock stopped for four or five seconds early like  they did for Crosby)...

All Star.  Score over 35 it has to go to Brock.

On 26/01/2018 at 6:25 AM, Rush17 said:

Barzal huge lead on bob's mid season trophy leaders. 

Boeser way down with 4 votes. mcavoy right behind with 3 votes.  Believe they said there is like 31 voters. (coaches I think vote).   ie Barzal likely has the remaining votes which is around: 24.

talk about some east coast bias.  i know boeser has slowed up some but 7th in league scoring on a bad team? hes kept us in many games.

That Bob's parogative, but not all agree with him, including THN who had Boeser as the mid season leader, hard not to get some votes after consecutive rookie of the months.  Boeser cooled down this month, but I don't think he's done, and either is Barzal.   McAvoy is out for a bit so who knows how that will affect things.  Keller and Debricant and even PLD are long odds, but there is enough hockey left that we could see some late season shuffling in the rookie pecking order.  Keller was the front runner remember.  It does appear that it's going to come down to the two Bs though, I hope Boeser has a great game today, he did an amazing job showcasing his shot yesterday, and that he comes back and goes on a tear. 

I certainly don't think that the perceived

Eastern bias will be a concern, they are talking way more about Boeser on TV and in print than they are Barzal out here.

Edit: I'm sure TO fans are salivating at the idea of Mathews and Boeser and JVR forming an all American line.   

He's cooked unfortunately. Such an excellent worthy player but the eastern media rarely sees him so they resort to just looking at the stats on most occasions I'm sure.  Barz is more than worthy too tho (and what a skater!) but he's also on a much better team with much more support around him. Here, Brock is our best player, period. It is what it is (to quote Bert) but none the less, we have a superstar in the making and that's plenty for me. 

3 hours ago, hanzolo said:

Unfair judgement to make, but you gotta chuckle thinking about how Boston could have drafted all three of Boeser, Connor, Barzal. A line like that would be filthy. 

One thing is for sure, getting Boeser sure makes me feel better about seeing Barzal go ahead of our spot in that draft. 

Doubt many any of us would have seen Brock as equal to Barzal (or close enough) in their rookie seasons. 

Wonder if that poster who wanted us to take Koency (sp?) instead of Brock still feels that way. 

So at this point, the race is basically down to Barzal vs Brock.

Barzal is likely going to win the scoring race. I mean a playmaker can rack up points easier than a goal scorer; first and second assists they all count the same. 

I think for Brock to win, he needs to score 40 goals. 40 goals symbolizes something special.

If Barzal gets around 25-30 goals, 70-75 points and Brock gets 40 goals and 65-70 points, I think Brock will win it. Unless Barzal gets say around 35 goals himself and scores 80+ points.

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

Surprised Boeser won the All Star MVP. There were a few guys that scored 2 and I think he only had 1 assist, right? I could be wrong.

Yes true, but it was voted by fans and Canucks fans were going wild on social media with the voting, so not surprising.

Archived