The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At least 20 dead and 30 injured in Texas church shooting

nuckin_futz

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

There are many stats claiming that when you adjust for types of deaths/crime, with specific jurisdictions, socio-economic factors, etc.... it states the opposite of what you're implying.  If you won't even acknowledge that....never mind.

Significantly more people are murdered every year in the US than other countries. That's a fact. If your original premise were true, that wouldn't be. You can say well but this that and the other thing, but bottom line is guns killing people are dead people and there are a lot more in the US than anywhere else. 

Just now, inane said:

Significantly more people are murdered every year in the US than other countries. That's a fact. If your original premise were true, that wouldn't be. You can say well but this that and the other thing, but bottom line is guns killing people are dead people and there are a lot more in the US than anywhere else. 

Umm... try again, the USA is 8th on the list of intentional homicide by UNODC and they are the 3rd largest country by population.  #94 per capita.  

Remove the crime ridding areas of places like Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore (all places with stringent gun laws) as the outlier.... the US murder rate approximately mirror those of Belgium, Canada, Sweden.  

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Umm... try again, the USA is 8th on the list of intentional homicide by UNODC and they are the 3rd largest country by population.  #94 per capita.  

Remove the crime ridding areas of places like Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore (all places with stringent gun laws) as the outlier.... the US murder rate approximately mirror those of Belgium, Canada, Sweden.  

Remove Black men as a demographic and that number is even smaller, but you can't say that or else you're racist.

Like you said, which stats...?

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Remove Black men as a demographic and that number is even smaller, but you can't say that or else you're racist.

Like you said, which stats...?

I dunno about that

In the last 6 weeks white folk seem to be piling up the high scores.

Or...is that racist?

19 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Ok sure. I love how you conveniently just delete places and info that doesn't fit your narrative lol

24 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Everybody's all just tolerant leftist apologists around here.

Meh.  'Murica 

Left right

Black white

Muslim Christian 

Gun laws or open carry

When people want to commit an act of terror they'll find a way to do it and no matter what happenspeople will be quick to justify their own point of view without ever listening to any other arguments no matter what the facts are

21 minutes ago, inane said:

Ok sure. I love how you conveniently just delete places and info that doesn't fit your narrative lol

You're running with the narrative that more guns = more murders.  If that's the case, there should be a positive correlation with those numbers.  I'm telling you that there's no factual basis behind it.  There's more to homicide rates than just guns, more to do with socio-economic issues.  But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story.  

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

You're running with the narrative that more guns = more murders.  If that's the case, there should be a positive correlation with those numbers.  I'm telling you that there's no factual basis behind it.  There's more to homicide rates than just guns, more to do with socio-economic issues.  But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story.  

No, you're ignoring/strawman my point. If you don't like my point, fine. But don't twist and then argue against something I never said.

You said

It's hatred and evil in (hu)man's heart that caused all this.  

Until we have a world where people do not wish to kill or harm others, no amount of laws, rules, punishments, regulations, whatever can prevent future similar events.  

I said, if that's true. That laws, regulations, whatever can't prevent similar events (mass shootings), why are there so many more mass shootings in the US than other Western nations? Presumably humans are the same around the world, they love, hate, etc. So, why are mass shootings so much more prevalent in the US?

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

There's NO argument that can be made to prove that more access to guns does not equate or lead to more deaths by guns

As a hunter I can attest to having no issues with squeezing the trigger.  But if I have to cut the throat to finish it off I always pause momentarily because it's so much more in your face.

Guns are the #1 weapon because they are so effective.  That is inarguable.  A knife a car etc all can be used to create havoc and terror.

But a gun if available is always more effective because you cannot hide from a bullet.  Outrun a bullet or dodge a bullet.

1 clip in an AR-15 in the hands of even the most unskilled shooter can still kill far more people in far less time than 1 person with a knife.  

Guns have 1 purpose.  This is not a post for or against gun use just a simple statement of fact. 

Intentional or otherwise guns are the #1 tool for death in the world.  It is what it is

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There's NO argument that can be made to prove that more access to guns does not equate or lead to more deaths by guns

As a hunter I can attest to having no issues with squeezing the trigger.  But if I have to cut the throat to finish it off I always pause momentarily because it's so much more in your face.

Guns are the #1 weapon because they are so effective.  That is inarguable.  A knife a car etc all can be used to create havoc and terror.

But a gun if available is always more effective because you cannot hide from a bullet.  Outrun a bullet or dodge a bullet.

1 clip in an AR-15 in the hands of even the most unskilled shooter can still kill far more people in far less time than 1 person with a knife.  

Guns have 1 purpose.  This is not a post for or against gun use just a simple statement of fact. 

Intentional or otherwise guns are the #1 tool for death in the world.  It is what it is

Alcohol was once illegal.

Drugs are mostly illegal.

Guns are illegal in Chicago

And in regards to your white people piling up the numbers, the numbers in Chicago are leaps and bounds ahead of any other numbers. It isn't even close. Guns don't kill people. People kill people with bullets,  fired from guns. Or they stab them with knives, run over them with cars etc. 

Just now, inane said:

No, you're ignoring/strawman my point. If you don't like my point, fine. But don't twist and then argue against something I never said.

You said

I said, if that's true. That laws, regulations, whatever can't prevent similar events (mass shootings), why are there so many more mass shootings in the US than other Western nations? Presumably humans are the same around the world, they love, hate, etc. So, why are mass shootings so much more prevalent in the US?

You said the US leads the way in murder, that's not true.  But sure, I'll play along with your games.... include all crap holes in the US.... their murder rate is below almost half the world.

The problem is that you're convoluting two separate issues here.  First is the perpetrator choosing to victimizing others.  2nd is the weapon of choice to be used.  

The 2nd premise cannot exist without the first.  

Guns are available/accessible.... we got Las Vegas, Texas, etc. 

Guns are partially restricted.... we got Sandy Hook, Polytechnique, Moncton, everyday in Chicago, 9/11, 2011 Norway, etc

Guns are illegal/heavily restricted.... mass attacks in Xinjiang, attacks in Manchester, Paris shooting, Sarin gas Tokyo, London Metro, Bali Nightclub

Legal status of guns unknown.... Somalia, Beslan

There's no rhyme or (sane) reason behind each attack as each have a different delivery method.  Does the victims' friend and family feel any solace that their love ones were poisoned to death or ran over by a truck instead of being shot up?  Death is death, HOW it happened is secondary.  WHY it happened is of greater importance.  

The only common thread with all those attacks is that someone or some group of people feel that they have grievance against others, thus they do what they did to help their own cause.  Racism, bigotry, inequality of rights, the poor distribution of wealth, some strange interpretation of some supposed big-cheese living in the sky, lack of a better future, etc.... those of the primary sources of all the death and destruction.  Targeting firearms is just windows dressing to cover the real issues that needs to be addressed.

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

You said the US leads the way in murder, that's not true.  But sure, I'll play along with your games.... include all crap holes in the US.... their murder rate is below almost half the world.

The problem is that you're convoluting two separate issues here.  First is the perpetrator choosing to victimizing others.  2nd is the weapon of choice to be used.  

The 2nd premise cannot exist without the first.  

Guns are available/accessible.... we got Las Vegas, Texas, etc. 

Guns are partially restricted.... we got Sandy Hook, Polytechnique, Moncton, everyday in Chicago, 9/11, 2011 Norway, etc

Guns are illegal/heavily restricted.... mass attacks in Xinjiang, attacks in Manchester, Paris shooting, Sarin gas Tokyo, London Metro, Bali Nightclub

Legal status of guns unknown.... Somalia, Beslan

There's no rhyme or (sane) reason behind each attack as each have a different delivery method.  Does the victims' friend and family feel any solace that their love ones were poisoned to death or ran over by a truck instead of being shot up?  Death is death, HOW it happened is secondary.  WHY it happened is of greater importance.  

The only common thread with all those attacks is that someone or some group of people feel that they have grievance against others, thus they do what they did to help their own cause.  Racism, bigotry, inequality of rights, the poor distribution of wealth, some strange interpretation of some supposed big-cheese living in the sky, lack of a better future, etc.... those of the primary sources of all the death and destruction.  Targeting firearms is just windows dressing to cover the real issues that needs to be addressed.

No, I said what I've already said twice. If what you originally said was true, why are there more mass shootings in the US than other western nations. That's it. That's my only point, not all this other stuff.

You're taking this down all these tangents to which I stated nothing nor gave any opinion. 

1 minute ago, inane said:

No, I said what I've already said twice. If what you originally said was true, why are there more mass shootings in the US than other western nations. That's it. That's my only point, not all this other stuff.

You're taking this down all these tangents to which I stated nothing nor gave any opinion. 

1 hour ago, inane said:

Here's an interesting fact.... 100% of all gun-related crime has guns involved!  Shocker, eh?

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Here's an interesting fact.... 100% of all gun-related crime has guns involved!  Shocker, eh?

Mass shootings, we're talking about mass shootings. I'm sorry I haven't explicitly stated that in every sentence thereby giving you this tangential way to get out of actually addressing my original point. 

Archived