The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At least 20 dead and 30 injured in Texas church shooting

nuckin_futz

At least 20 dead and 30 injured in Texas church shooting

image.jpeg.e777653f76dbcda1bd98d6c744c59e14.jpeg

At least 20 people have been killed and 30 injured in a Texas church shooting today, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

The alleged shooter is dead, and it appears there is no longer an active threat at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, about 40 miles southeast of San Antonio, police told ABC News affiliate KSAT in San Antonio on Sunday afternoon.

Connally Memorial Center in nearby Floresville told ABC News it has received six people from the shooting.

The FBI and ATF are heading to the scene, ABC News has learned.

Outside the church, police have formed a perimeter and flooded the grounds with emergency and police vehicles, according to KSAT.

A small group of people were seen standing together, holding hands as tears overtook an attempt to pray, a KSAT reporter said.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said in a statement, "The thoughts and prayers of all Texans are with the people of Sutherland Springs as tragic reports come out of First Baptist Church."

"Please join Angela and me as we pray for those impacted by this horrific shooting,” Paxton said.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back with ABC News for updates.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/texas-church-scene-shooting-report-192705171--abc-news-topstories.html

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is this likely a crazy racist?  My God there is way too much hate in the States.  

It's pretty painful. And white people feel like they're allowed to be openly racist and hateful now because of the renegade presidency. It's a joke. 

At least 27 people have died after a gunman opened fire at a church in Texas during Sunday services, police say.

The attack happened at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs in Wilson County.

Police official Albert Gamez Jr confirmed the number of fatalities to CBS News.

The gunman, who is reported to have been killed in the aftermath, entered the church and opened fire at around 11:30 local time (17:30 GMT).

"The details are kind of sketchy but what I know right now, what they're telling me, like 27 deceased and over 20, 25 injured," Mr Gomez Jr said.

"They're talking about the shooter is dead also," he added.

One witness, Carrie Matula, told NBC News: "We heard semi-automatic gunfire… we're only about 50 yards away from this church."

"This is a very small community, so everyone was very curious as to what was going on."

The San Antonio FBI branch said its agents had been deployed, and there was no indication of the gunman's motive.

The FBI also said that while only one shooter was reported, it was looking into other possibilities.

Photos and video from the scene showed the area taped off by local law enforcement.

A number of helicopters have arrived to transport the wounded, KSAT 12 reporter Max Massey said.

Texas governor Greg Abbott said: "Our prayers are with all who were harmed by this evil act. Our thanks to law enforcement for their response."

He said more details would be released by the Texas Department of Public Safety shortly.

President Trump, on a tour of Asia, tweeted: "May God be with the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas. The FBI and law enforcement are on the scene. I am monitoring the situation from Japan."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41880511

It is being reported this church regularly streams it's Sunday service on Youtube and has done so the last number of Sunday's in a row. It's possible there is video of this massacre.

1 minute ago, zzbottom said:

It's pretty painful. And white people feel like they're allowed to be openly racist and hateful now because of the renegade presidency. It's a joke. 

I can see in your notes you live down there.  This is one (of I’m sure many) Canadians who feels for you guys down there.  The hatred seems visceral.  Whether it’s racism, or politics, or religion, or something else, it’s just brutal.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I can see in your notes you live down there.  This is one (of I’m sure many) Canadians who feels for you guys down there.  The hatred seems visceral.  Whether it’s racism, or politics, or religion, or something else, it’s just brutal.  

I feel horrible for the people who are actually affected by these kind of things. It creates such a divide and harsh stances towards others. But I'm sure everyone in the States appreciates Canada's well wishes. I wish we were as decent as your country. 

32 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

I know that the US has it's problems, but do we even know if this was a race issue yet?

I can't help but feel that those sort of generalisations are dangerous as well. We're talking about a minority here. They've certainly become more vocal, but they're a minority regardless.

30 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I know that the US has it's problems, but do we even know if this was a race issue yet?

I can't help but feel that those sort of generalisations are dangerous as well. We're talking about a minority here. They've certainly become more vocal, but they're a minority regardless.

Totally valid. I admit I am being part of the problem by generalizing. 

Archived