The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At least 20 dead and 30 injured in Texas church shooting

nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

They already did say he could not. However, the air force failed to file the necessary paper work so it wasn't flagged when he purchased his weapons. 

How people are not for gun registry and owner registry is beyond crazy. 

You mean like the long gun registry we use to have in Canada?  That was a terrible thing, thankfully the Conservatives abolished that terrible useless expensive long gun registry.

1 hour ago, lucky_nucker said:

Thanks @Warhippy I appreciate you sharing your experience. Sorry, to hear that you have had these racist experiences, but not surprised. Glad to hear that instead of being a victim, you decided to take charge of your life and be productive and successful. I too see social media as having a massive impact on how our society is today. It has so many good things going for it, but also it seems to have many downsides as well. One of the biggest negative ones being that people are not communicating like they used to as much anymore. Being behind a screen somewhere else in the world disconnected from whoever you are talking to makes a massive difference, can't read body language, gauge or express tone, etc...

This seems to have really pushed people towards polarization of views. Simply, most people want to pick one side or the other. In this thread, most people seem to either be sticking towards completely banning firearms or leaving things as they are. Can't say I really have a solution, as I think the intent that this individual had to commit this horrible act is really the source of the problem. Not sure how you remove intent?

As I said, the divide isn't new nor is it going away any time soon.

There's no way to tell how or why this person snapped and there's nothing to do but speculate.  Sadly I've managed to go so far off topic that I have no desire to continue speaking of yet another horrible incident in what is supposed to be the bastion of freedom that is the US

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder how many people have more than one firearm, who are good, honest citizens.  Considering the number of guns in the US, I would venture to say a great many.  In Canada we have plenty of people who own more than one firearm.  Should we ban renting trucks because some crazies used rental trucks to run over people?  This guy was a whacko.  

The "mental illness" thing makes a convenient scapegoat, especially if one is against any sort of firearm restrictions. However, it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny:

Yet various epidemiologic studies over the past two decades show that the vast majority of people with severe mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or severe depression, are no more likely to be violent than anyone else.

Rather, people with severe mental illnesses are more than 10 times more likely to be victims of violent crime than the general population, and only about 3% to 5% of violent acts can be attributed to individuals living with a serious mental illness, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services.

Gun violence and mental illness are public health problems "that intersect at the edges" but have very little overlap, Jeffrey Swanson, a professor in psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Duke University who specializes in gun violence and mental illness, told CNN last year.

"Mental health stakeholders are loath to have this conversation about improving mental health care in a context driven by violence prevention, because that's not why we need mental health reform per se," Swanson said. "We need it because people are struggling with illnesses, and they don't have access to care."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/06/health/guns-mental-health-texas-trump/index.html

It seems that the real problem is allowing firearm access to people with a demonstrated history of violence. (As this particular person has)

Those indicators -- such as having past or pending violent misdemeanor convictions or charges, domestic violence restraining orders or multiple DUI convictions -- have been largely informed by the work of Swanson and others.

Swanson supports intervention at the point of purchase through comprehensive background checks -- but to make background checks work, criteria for inclusion on the database should be based on other indicators of risk besides mental health history, such as those indicators of aggressive, impulsive or risky behavior.

FTR: background checks for the factors listed above, is pretty much exactly what many of us have been advocating all along.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As I said, the divide isn't new nor is it going away any time soon.

There's no way to tell how or why this person snapped and there's nothing to do but speculate.  Sadly I've managed to go so far off topic that I have no desire to continue speaking of yet another horrible incident in what is supposed to be the bastion of freedom that is the US

Bill O'Reilly came right out and said it: "This is the price we pay for freedom"....

So there you have it. The price of "freedom" is the acceptance of mass murder as the norm. I would call it a price too high, but evidence shows that America seems content to pay it...

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The "mental illness" thing makes a convenient scapegoat, especially if one is against any sort of firearm restrictions. However, it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/06/health/guns-mental-health-texas-trump/index.html

It seems that the real problem is allowing firearm access to people with a demonstrated history of violence. (As this particular person has)

FTR: background checks for the factors listed above, is pretty much exactly what many of us have been advocating all along.

Crazy and whacko could be considered mentally ill, but not in this context.  This guy was evil.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm not sure what your point is. You were the one who called him a "whacko"...:huh:

True enough.  It's just in today's world I thought we don't associate crazy and whacko with the mentally ill?  Anyway, this guy was evil.  His actions were evil.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

True enough.  It's just in today's world I thought we don't associate crazy and whacko with the mentally ill?  Anyway, this guy was evil.  His actions were evil.  

We don't? news to me...

And I don't think "evil" is the right word. He was an a$$hole, through and through. He had shown his true colors before, yet he still managed to buy a gun...

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We don't? news to me...

And I don't think "evil" is the right word. He was an a$$hole, through and through. He had shown his true colors before, yet he still managed to buy a gun...

I think his actions were pure evil.  Yes, he's a lot of other adjectives too - all negative.  And I agree about him not being allowed to buy a gun, or any weapon.  Even an attempt to buy a weapon should have had him locked up.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think his actions were pure evil.  Yes, he's a lot of other adjectives too - all negative.  And I agree about him not being allowed to buy a gun, or any weapon.  Even an attempt to buy a weapon should have had him locked up.  

Evil is kind of an abstract word, but I'd agree that his actions were evil. That's not the same thing as him being evil.

In any event, it's semantics. You say potato....

12 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Actually is makes a ton of sense.  Every time an incident happens, there's the threat of new laws coming into place that would prevent people from being able to buy in the future.  So people rush out to buy before they loose that chance to. 

Which threat of new laws? Republicans make it easier to acquire guns since the NRA pays too well. Trump even repealed Obama era regulation making it difficult for mentally ill people to buy guns.. despite stressing today more must be done to combat mental health lmao

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Bill O'Reilly came right out and said it: "This is the price we pay for freedom"....

So there you have it. The price of "freedom" is the acceptance of mass murder as the norm. I would call it a price too high, but evidence shows that America seems content to pay it...

It'll never change unless politicians are personally affected by some asshole who goes out, buys a gun with little to no resistance, particularly if he's a mentally deranged twat, and then goes and massacres their families. Your perspective generally changes if it happens to you or someone you know.  

16 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It'll never change unless politicians are personally affected by some asshole who goes out, buys a gun with little to no resistance, particularly if he's a mentally deranged twat, and then goes and massacres their families. Your perspective generally changes if it happens to you or someone you know.  

Politicians were shot by a leftist not that long ago at a baseball game. 

53 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Which threat of new laws? Republicans make it easier to acquire guns since the NRA pays too well. Trump even repealed Obama era regulation making it difficult for mentally ill people to buy guns.. despite stressing today more must be done to combat mental health lmao

i'd suggest you actually do a bit more personal research and dive into facts before believing what you read for vox. 

59 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Exactly. This opinion piece spells it out pretty well:

Virtually everyone knows someone who has died of an opioid overdose. That's why we care enough to declare it a public health crisis.

We are dangerously close to a moment in time when every one of us will know someone who has been shot in a mass shooting. And unfortunately, based on the research, that's what it's going to take for us to care. It has to become personal.

Until gun violence impacts your family directly, you won't care enough to do something about it. There's a ton of research to explain this apathy.

After World War II, the famous Cambridge psychologist J.T. MacCurdy studied an interesting phenomenon about the bombings in London in 1940 and 1941.

He found that people affected by the bombings fell into three categories: those who died, those who were a "near miss" (who closely witnessed the horror of the bombings but lived), and those who had a "remote miss" (people who may have heard the sirens, but were removed from the direct scene of the bombing).

Here's what's interesting. MacCurdy found the people who witnessed a "near miss" were deeply affected by the bombing -- while the "remote miss" group felt invincible and even excited.

They were far enough away from the event and had survived, leading them to feel invulnerable and no longer scared.

Until you've experienced a "near miss," it's easy for your mind to compartmentalize mass shootings that you hear about -- thinking they will never affect you.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/06/opinions/why-we-dont-give-a-damn-about-mass-shootings-robbins/index.html

59 minutes ago, JV77 said:

Why does USA have such a gun culture?  Why are they so fascinated with guns?

Guns represents freedom in a somewhat primal sense.  

It allows you to protect yourself and your family from the criminal element or from the overreach of certain groups.  

It doesn't matter if you're 4'7 or 7'4, a man or a woman, a bodybuilder or frail..... a firearm is the ultimate equalizer.  

I like guns, I think everyone should have some training with firearms.  That being said, I think of firearms as a very very powerful tool... and as the saying goes, "Great power comes with greater responsibility".  Firearms locked and kept in a strong safe, ammo stored properly, muzzle control, etc.  Personal responsibility trumps any regulations IMO.  

Of course, I'm think of myself as a sane, rational and law abiding individual.  Just always disappointed that there are morons, gangbangers and evil/insane people out there ruining it for the rest of us.  

7 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I'm correct otherwise I wouldn't comment. Being wrong isn't a hobby of mine

You are wrong here. Just because someone has determined a person needs to have their money managed doesn't mean they are a danger to own a gun. Those with a violent history proven with evidence, yes. That's not how this law was applied though. 

I suggest you read up on it. Imagine if the government decided things for you based on your inability to spend your income properly and medication you take for panic attacks. 

Archived