The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 10 Canuck Goalscorers of All-Time (Article)

-AJ-

Hey there folks! I figured a slow non-game day would be as good a day as any to share a bit I recently researched and wrote on the Canucks and their goalscorers. I've copied and pasted the first part below, but if you want to read it in it's original form where it looks nicer, follow the links below:

Part 1 (10-6): https://hookedonhockeyhistory.wordpress.com/2017/11/06/top-10-canuck-goalscorers-of-all-time/

Part 2 (5-1): https://hookedonhockeyhistory.wordpress.com/2017/11/07/top-10-canuck-goalscorers-of-all-time-5-1/

Enjoy, and please share any opinions and thoughts!

While the Canucks haven’t been star-studded for their entire 45+ year history, they have had a number of players who could regularly put the biscuit in the back of the net. From the 1970s to the 2010s, you’ll find players of all eras on this list. Let’s get to it.

10. Bobby Schmautz

schmautzb.jpg

Many fans won’t even recognize this name, but in the early days of the Canucks, few were more exciting than a red hot Bobby Schmautz. Schmautz was an average bottom six forward in his first two seasons with Vancouver, but in 1972-73, he exploded for 38 goals in 77 games, setting a new Canuck record that would be tied by Don Lever two years later, but wouldn’t be beaten until 1978-79 by Ron Sedlbauer. Schmautz was scoring even more in the following season before he was traded away in a move that even mystified Schmautz himself. He would return for the last season of his career in 1980-81 and, at 35 years old, score 27 goals in 73 games for the Canucks. In the early 70s, Bobby Schmautz also had a famous pair of nights where he scored a hat-trick in one game, then followed it up with a four-goal game the very next game.

9. Darcy Rota

51872266.jpg.e7bb4ad3530106ea93615fbf7ba88ab4.jpg

After Sedlbauer set the new Canuck record in 1978-79 with 40 goals, it was Rota who pushed it further up with a 42-goal season in 1982-83. In each of Rota’s other three complete seasons in Vancouver he scored 20 or more goals, even though two of them consisted of more than 20 games missed. Rota played far better with the Canucks than any other team.

8. Trevor Linden

LindenT

Though Linden was more known for his leadership than anything else, he was a capable all-around forward. Linden scored back-to-back hat-tricks as an 18-year old in 1988 and would score 30 goals in his rookie season, finishing 2nd in Calder voting. After a 21-goal sophomore season, Linden would score 30+ goals in four consecutive seasons before the 1994-95 lockout-shortened season ended his streak. In 1995-96, he again scored over 30, tying his record of 33 goals. Though his offensive output dipped after that, some years after being traded away from Vancouver, Linden’s goal-scoring spiked when he returned, scoring 19 goals in 71 games. Linden retired at 2nd on the all-time goals list with 318 goals as a Canuck.

7. Greg Adams

AdamsG

Immediately after being traded from the Devils to Vancouver, Greg Adams showed his goal scoring prowess. Adams finished 2nd on the team with 36 goals in 1987-88 and repeated his strong performance in 1989-90 with 30 goals in just 65 games. Adams would hit 30 goals again in 1991-92 and then have arguably the best season of his career in 1992-93, playing in just 53 games, but scoring 25 goals. Not only could Adams score frequently, but he could score in clutch moments, scoring 7 goals in 12 playoff games in the 1993 playoffs, and scoring crucial playoff overtime goals several times throughout his career.

6. Todd Bertuzzi

BertuzziT

It’s incredibly rare to find a combination of skill and size, but Todd Bertuzzi was the perfect mix. The 6’3″ power forward peaked at 245 pounds while he was in Vancouver and powered his way to five 25+ goal seasons, including 36- and 46-goal seasons in 2001-02 and 2002-03. Despite finishing behind Markus Naslund on the team in goals in 2001-02 (who had 40), he actually scored at a higher rate, scoring his 36 goals in just 72 games.

Check out the final five here: Top 10 Canuck Goalscorers of All-Time (5-1)

29 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Despite finishing behind Markus Naslund on the team in goals in 2001-02 (who had 40), he actually scored at a higher rate, scoring his 36 goals in just 72 games.

Isn't that the year Bert took that stupid suspension for coming off the bench to fight in defense of Jovo?  Without that suspension, there's a chance he could have caught Iggy for the Art Ross.

13 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Big Bert definitely scored some of my favorite Canuck goals to watch. I can't find a clip of it but there was that goal he scored while falling backwards and spinning that was featured in one of the NHL game intros is probably my favorite.

I still think about the goal he scored in the game 7 loss to Minnesota. He practically snowed the goalie while scoring. It was beautiful. 

10 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

AJ, are you sure about that picture of Rota? He was a left handed shot..........

Oh really? It checked out for me on a visual basis, but it is low quality.

Upon further research, it seems you may be right, based on other pictures. A deceptive one. I'll change it. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, xereau said:

I would flip Tanti with Mogilny.  Mogilny did his damage in the heart of the clutch and grab dead puck era.

Mogilny's 55-goal year was the same one in which Lemieux had 69 goals and Jagr had 62. There were eight 50-goal scorers. I wouldn't say 1995-96 was quite the dead puck era yet. I'd give Naslund and Bertuzzi the benefit of playing more in that era. I also weighed the fact that he didn't last as long here as others like Tanti. Tanti lead the team in scoring for five years, while Mogliny did for one.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Any list that includes Tony Friggin’ Tanti ahead of Linden, Molglny, and Bertuzzi is a froggin’ Joke.  Sorry to the Tanti fans, but we traded Kurt Fraser for this guy!  No To Tanti!  Yuk!  

Ah, I always wondered why Tanti was underrated by fans. I guess the trading of him for a fan favourite would do it.

Just now, -AJ- said:

Ah, I always wondered why Tanti was underrated by fans. I guess the trading of him for a fan favourite would do it.

Underrated indicates the player is better than (some) fans think.  Clearly Mogilny, Linden, And Bertuzzi we’re far better goal scorers, and players than Tanti.  Heck Tiger Williams was a better goal scorer and player than Tanti.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Underrated indicates the player is better than (some) fans think.  Clearly Mogilny, Linden, And Bertuzzi we’re far better goal scorers, and players than Tanti.  Heck Tiger Williams was a better goal scorer and player than Tanti.  

What makes you say that? In particular, I think you'd have a tough time justifying Williams and Linden above Tanti.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I miss me some Mogilny. When he actually tried he was a fabulous player to watch.

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Any list that includes Tony Friggin’ Tanti ahead of Linden, Molglny, and Bertuzzi is a froggin’ Joke.  Sorry to the Tanti fans, but we traded Kurt Fraser for this guy!  No To Tanti!  Yuk!  

Fraser - pound for pound, perhaps the best fighter to wear a Canuck uniform.

Loved how Fraser silenced the crowd in Toronto:

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

What makes you say that? In particular, I think you'd have a tough time justifying Williams and Linden above Tanti.

Tanti had one season, in his top scoring years with us, where he was a plus player.  Plus, a great many of his goals were wrongly credited to him, I believe.  ;)  (You’re right AJ.  I can’t help but hate the guy, who was - pretty much - the antithesis of Fraser.)

i was a youngster age 6 during the 1994 cup run.  i watched intently but at that time i didnt know what rounds of playoffs were or the concept of the cup really.  some really fun players to watch back then.  i liked babych and bure back in the day.  then ohlund and nazzy became my favs. :)

now its horvat and stech. i cant wait until pettersson is ready. ill be buying one of his jerseys! :) just gotta see what jersey # he settles on. hes rocking 40 this season. hes rocked a few #s over the last 2 seasons.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tanti had one season, in his top scoring years with us, where he was a plus player.  Plus, a great many of his goals were wrongly credited to him, I believe.  ;)  (You’re right AJ.  I can’t help but hate the guy, who was - pretty much - the antithesis of Fraser.)

Alf, you're not wearing your glasses again. The topic is Top GOAL SCORERS, not top point producers, not top overall player, not top all time Canuck, not top Canuck fighter.

From 1982 - 1990, he had seasons of 45, 39, 39, 41, 40, 24, 14.

By any standard, that's pretty good goal production for a franchise that historically has never had a lot of top goal scorers.

PS. Didn't realize the NHL kept track of goals wrongly credited to the goal scorer.

Archived